Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
18\" front and 19\" rear

wheels that sis. on a 99RT10. I know many have beat this wheel combo topic to death but im curious; any opinions as to if this setup (18front 19rear) would have any detriment to true performance (1/4 mile and roadcourse).

im considering selling my 18" HRE547s and upgrading to this setup. other than a speedo calibration upgrade, i dont see any downside to it. slap on a set of pirelli p-zeros and i should be rollin fine

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Re: 18\" front and 19\" rear

Are you thinking of keeping the same style (547) and also, are you looking into the R series?

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

yes

·
The Burn Clinic
12,779 Posts

18/19 on a road course would be idiotic. The hot ticket for track cars is 18r/17r (ala PMUM) if you run real tires. 19's would be too little sidewall and your mid-corner to track-out speeds would suck because you couldn't plant any power.

·
Registered
161 Posts

good advice. I was considering going to a 19" rear also because it just looks so much better than the "shorty" 18" combo (1.5" shorter)

·
Registered
161 Posts

Wait a second. The comp coupe is running 19" wheels front and rear. Dodge wouldn't put 19s on their flagship racecar just because it looks cool.

·
The Burn Clinic
12,779 Posts

The Comp Coupe is delivered with 18x11 fronts and 18x13 rears. The World Challenge Comp Coupes are forced to run 275f/335r 18" tires, as well.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

so the best idea woudl be to sticj with 18s all around but widen the front to 11 and keep the rear at stock 13

largest on front stock woudl be 285 right?

345 rears?

·
The Burn Clinic
12,779 Posts

I'd still go 17's rear but that's just how I liked the feel of the car coming out of the corners.

We ran up to 305's in the front, 335 and 345 rears. We had like 8 sets of wheels for the ACR, but the fastest combo was 18f/17r with 305f/335r.

·
Sexist
44,363 Posts

There's a similar thread going on somewhere that I commented on. I run whatever I can get my hands on. While I am sure Smackie is correct on his wheel sizes I wish I would have gone with 18 all the way around for "fiscal simplicity" reasons. Us guys on a budget gotta consider these things. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

thnx much guys. im trying to get as good a "dual event' car as possible.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts

Just my 2 cents, :twocents: I have to admit I did not read the whole thread. :doh: But if it helps I have oredered and waiting on my set of HRE's 19" rear and 18" front. :dance: Saw the set up on an NSX and twin turbo Porsche and looked awesome. :thumb: If you want to see the pics let me know. Matt /images/graemlins/headbang.gif

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts

Never hold back on the pics. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Senior Slacker
2,155 Posts

Okay, I can't comment scientifically since I am an idiot (preemptive strike for Chuck). However, the SRT-10 is delivered with this setup - 19" in the back and 18" up front. More than a few people commented that the taller wheel/tire in the back costs you time at the low end in the 1/4. Not sure of the principle behind it, but know that with the same rearend ratio (3.07) the SRT gets a few more MPH out of each gear - which to my untrained mind says it is slower by a seat of the pants feel: When you switch to a higher (lower?) gear ratio such as 3.54, your gears are much shorter and you hit the shift points that much more quickly. So by contrast, stretching that gear out with the taller tire would seem to indicate that your "seat of the pants" speed would fall off.

Aw screw it, I don't even know what I mean other than I would not switch to 19" unless you only show your car (in which case go for the 20" Startechs).

·
Registered
161 Posts

Smackie,

Do you know if the reason you were faster with the 18" was because of decreased tire diameter or was it the decreased (and stiffer) sidewall. I'd guess you wouldn't know unless you tried 19"s up front. If you slowed down, then obviously the smaller diam front is the big advantage (quicker turn-in I understand).

Opinions?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts