Tracking the Gen V, ZR1, Z06, Grand Sport and C7 - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen V SRT 2013-up
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen V SRT 2013-up Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering the Gen V Viper 2013-up models.

Tracking the Gen V, ZR1, Z06, Grand Sport and C7

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 17th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #1
n00b

VENOM V  with -283 pointsVENOM V  with -283 pointsVENOM V  with -283 points

Hi all,

This is pretty much my intro post. Just came over from the VCA forum, good to see a lot of familiar faces here.

I just returned from a fun-filled week at Ron Fellows School at Spring Mountain. I took the Level 2 Corvette School. When I had completed the Level 1 ZR1 course, they invited me back and said that they'd let me track my Viper after the school ended with a dash of professional instruction, I couldn't pass that up! And the chance to compare all of the Corvettes to my Viper on the track? Twist my arm.

On Wednesday, I tracked ZR1s all day. On Thursday and Friday, Z06s and Grand Sports. They also let us track the new C7. You learn so much about the nuances of tracking your car correctly- balance braking, throttle steer, the hows and whys of weight transfer, heel-toe shifting, driving the correct line, turn-in locations, apex, Etc. Etc. Then you get a chance to open track against your buddies in the class with transponders to see how well you were able to put it all together.

In between the Level 1 and 2 schools, I completed a number of track days in both my Camaro and Viper to put to practice what I learned. If you're thinking about taking a professional class, I highly recommend it. After taking the Level 1 class, I went to Thunderhill for my Viper's maiden voyage. The instruction really works. I was the fastest car that day, besting a number of exotics including a pair of Ferraris, a McClaren, a Saleen S7 and a spattering of ZR1s and Z06s. It's fair to say that I'm addicted to tracking now, what a blast! Okay, back to the school...

Comparing the cars:

C6 Corvettes:
The ZR1 and Z06 are damned fast on the track, very well balanced and easy to drive at the limits. Same with the Grand Sport, but it really feels like it runs out of steam in 4th and is clearly not in the same league as it's two faster siblings. Although a blast to throw around on the track, the C6s are not without some glaring annoyances. The seats are horrible in the Vettes unless they have the seats that have the inflatable bolsters. Those will keep you planted, otherwise you are squishing all over the place. And I burned my right hand a couple of times in different Vettes on the transmission tunnel. The carpet commonly pulls away from the center console, leaving hot exposed metal. I was fairly hard on the brakes, I'm trying to brake a little lighter and longer to remedy that. I boiled the brake fluid on three of my sessions in the Grand Sports, nearly losing all of my braking. But chalk that up to the school perhaps not flushing often enough. Not a problem with the ZR1 or Z06. Absolutely love the carbon ceramic brakes in the ZR1, no fade, consistent braking hot or cold, quiet, no pedal pulse, good on the street or track, and they last for about 6,000 track miles. Much longer than my Camaro brakes, which were totally worn down after two track weekends. This is the one thing that I would like to see on the Viper in the future, carbon ceramic brakes. I'll be trying out Hawk HP+ pads at Buttonwillow in the Camaro this weekend, it happens to be the same pad that the school is switching it's Corvettes to.

C7 Corvette:
Now on to the C7 with the Z51 package. Chevy was doing their C7 launch event on the other Spring Mountain track, so we got to turn a few hot laps in them. There were literally 100 C7s at the event! Funny story- the cars were built but you can't get replacement brake pads yet! So when the brakes wore out on the first group of C7s, they rotated in the second group simply because they had new pads. Sounds like SRT isn't the only one with a few early production issues and parts shortages. The interior is beautiful and high quality, a huge improvement over the C6. The seats are supportive enough, but not nearly as good as the Sabelts in my Viper. Chevy has a performance seat option that will be out soon that should give improved support. Power felt good, maybe a little torquier than the C6 Grand Sport but nothing like the Z06 or ZR1. As for the handling, I was expecting to be impressed based on what I had read. I was honestly underwhelmed. The big disappointment was the electronic differential. We were instructed to do all of our braking before the corner, then be completely off of the brake through the corner. If you brake at all during the corner, the diff locks and causes the understeer. This is opposite of any other car, where you would balance brake to transfer weight to the outside front corner, which improves turn-in. The electronic differential artificially induces oversteer to improve turn-in, but only works with your foot off of the brake! I can't drive like that. For the first time, I know what people mean by not wanting nannies to drive the car for you. One instructor ensured me that the one I drove was a production model and that behavior was here to stay, whereas another thought that it was a pre-production model, and the GM engineers would improve this on the production model. In any case, I would not buy a Corvette unless they fix this. Another nanny that I thought I would like but didn't is the rev matching. The learned skill of heel-toe shifting can really improve lap times when mastered. But the C7 does automatic rev-matching. Kinda cool in concept, but it takes the fun out of driving for me.

Gen V Viper:
At the end of the day, they let me take the Viper out on track! Acceleration is similar to the ZR1 but the power comes on smoother at the lower RPM in the Viper, it feels more controlled and smooth. The pedal placement is superior to my Camaro and better than the Vettes too. The aluminum flywheel allows you to effortlessly blip the RPM quickly for an easy execution of heel-toe shifts. The Viper is noticeably stiffer than the Vettes, it feels more connected to the road. The turn in on the Viper is absolutely razor sharp and precise, it goes exactly where you point it. It feels faster than the Corvettes, driving it is more engaging. And that noise- the exhaust sings on the track, sounds bad ass. The big difference between the Viper and the Vettes is how it behaves when pushed near it's limits. When the rear end steps out, it steps out more quickly and you need to be ready to feather the throttle. If you lift, you can get into a tank-slapping fishtail or worse can spin. With the Vettes, you can lift and typically the car is forgiving enough that you can slowly bring the car back to straight without drama. Interestingly, the C7 is more Viper-like in this respect, the ass-end will step out much easier than on the C6. But this is an advantage because these cars turn very well. You do have to know what you're doing when you drive them hard.

Lap Times:
We ran the newly opened 2.1-mile second track at Spring Mountain. My best time in the Grand Sport was a 1:38.0, and my friend turned the fastest lap of our group at 1:37.3. This is after tracking Corvettes a total of 6 days at Spring Mountain and knowing how to master the car. I didn't have transponders in the cars when I drove the Z06 or ZR1, but my friend's GoPro showed his best Z06 lap of 1:34.66. In my Viper, I was literally just warming up and getting a feel for it at the track. I ran five laps. My last lap was a 1:34.3. Given more time, I would have been able to shave a few seconds off of my lap, so I was pleased with this time! I had worn-out, chunked P Zero Corsas, whereas the Vettes were just running PS2s.

Conclusion:
So what was my take-away? That the Viper is the car for me. It feels so much faster than the Vettes, even though the ZR1 should be able to run fairly competitive times with equal tires. The Viper is raw, loud, explosively fast and precise. It is a race car that you can street. The Corvette is civilized, isolated, but also explosively fast. It is a street car that you can track. I'll take the race car!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-18.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	65425   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-20.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	65433   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131011_121044_1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	65441   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131011_121720.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	65449   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131011_121045.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	414.7 KB
ID:	65457  

Last edited by VENOM V; October 18th, 2013 at 12:13 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #2

FLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 points
Great review! Doesn't get much better than a Viper on track.

Old October 18th, 2013, 02:39 AM   #3
Enthusiast

TTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 points
Thanks for that. I was getting sick of reading "good" base corvette reviews and seeing them compared well to the Viper. Your review is what the other Viper drivers told me about the Gen 5.

Viper is for me!

Old October 18th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #4

Disturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 points
I test drive a Gen5 (I had to show up with my viper and sign a wavier....WTF). Granted it was on the street but I did take it to about 120 on a few WOT runs. The car felt like it did not want to drive around town or cruise unless it was above 75mph. I struggled to be smooth with the car. I suspect a viper is more at home on the track than the street.

Old October 18th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #5

FLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 pointsFLATOUT is not afraid of bears with 31630 points
I throughly enjoy my ACR on the street

Old October 18th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #6

eric made Varsity with 1196 pointseric made Varsity with 1196 pointseric made Varsity with 1196 pointseric made Varsity with 1196 pointseric made Varsity with 1196 pointseric made Varsity with 1196 pointseric made Varsity with 1196 pointseric made Varsity with 1196 pointseric made Varsity with 1196 points
pos rep, great info here, thanks!

Old October 18th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #7

TowDawg is not afraid of bears with 5051 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 5051 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 5051 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 5051 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 5051 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 5051 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 5051 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 5051 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 5051 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 5051 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 5051 points
Great write-up V!
As for being hard on the brakes and boiling the fluid, you "should" actually help keep them cooler by hitting them harder for shorter periods, than lighter for longer periods. The less time they are engaged, the more they get colled by air and have less heat build up.
Then again, I've never been to schools with true pro drivers. Just what I've learned myself from lower level competitive racing.

Old October 18th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #8

shooter_t1 is not afraid of bears with 11677 pointsshooter_t1 is not afraid of bears with 11677 pointsshooter_t1 is not afraid of bears with 11677 pointsshooter_t1 is not afraid of bears with 11677 pointsshooter_t1 is not afraid of bears with 11677 pointsshooter_t1 is not afraid of bears with 11677 pointsshooter_t1 is not afraid of bears with 11677 pointsshooter_t1 is not afraid of bears with 11677 pointsshooter_t1 is not afraid of bears with 11677 pointsshooter_t1 is not afraid of bears with 11677 pointsshooter_t1 is not afraid of bears with 11677 points
Great write up. Vipers are street legal race cars.

Old October 18th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #9

Buddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 points
Nice review Todd,and welcome..

I drove my friends Carbon Edition Z06 on Laguna Seca,and yes those carbon ceramic brakes are something else. .
On Viper brake pads try the Carbotech XP12s . These pads work really well for me,but of course will squeal on the street..

Old October 18th, 2013, 04:09 PM   #10
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
Nice review Todd,and welcome..

I drove my friends Carbon Edition Z06 on Laguna Seca,and yes those carbon ceramic brakes are something else. .
On Viper brake pads try the Carbotech XP12s . These pads work really well for me,but of course will squeal on the street..
Good to see you over here, Bushido. I'll take a look at the Carbotechs XP12s.

I was leaning towards the Hawk HP+ pads, as they work well on the Corvettes in the driving school. I'm running them on my Camaro for the first time this weekend at Buttonwillow. We will see how they work out. So far noise-free on the street, but they're not a full track pad. Any thoughts on the HP+ pads?

PS- I'm going to organize a couple of track events for the VOA here in NorCal next year, shoot me a PM if you have any track preferences or ideas on how to draw a bunch of Vipers. We're hoping to tailor it so that newbies and track rats alike will have a good time. Rich RW99 is pushing for Laguna Seca, your home track. So I'm sure that will be on the venue, and Buttonwillow and Thunderhill are strong candidates as well. Chances are, we'll start small and simple, and just join HOD or Speed Ventures, or one of the other HPDE organizers. But we'll make it special for the Viper guys somehow.

Last edited by VENOM V; October 18th, 2013 at 04:51 PM.

Old October 18th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #11

Buddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 204680 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOM V View Post
Good to see you over here, Bushido. I'll take a look at the Carbotechs XP12s.

I was leaning towards the Hawk HP+ pads, as they work well on the Corvettes in the driving school. I'm running them on my Camaro for the first time this weekend at Buttonwillow. We will see how they work out. So far noise-free on the street, but they're not a full track pad. Any thoughts on the HP+ pads?

PS- I'm going to organize a couple of track events for the VOA here in NorCal next year, shoot me a PM if you have any track preferences or ideas on how to draw a bunch of Vipers. We're hoping to tailor it so that newbies and track rats alike will have a good time. Rich RW99 is pushing for Laguna Seca, your home track. So I'm sure that will be on the venue, and Buttonwillow and Thunderhill are strong candidates as well. Chances are, we'll start small and simple, and just join HOD or Speed Ventures, or one of the other HPDE organizers. But we'll make it special for the Viper guys somehow.
I haven't tried the Hawk pads . My friend with a GTR likes them,and tells me that they are good too. I went with Carbotechs because I have them on my C6Z06,and Adam at Carbotech has been a big help. Fast shipping, good tech support, easy to get a hold of, etc..

Sounds good on the track events bro. Like what Rich said though. Laguna Seca would probably be best since most of us live closer to that track..

Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:04 PM   #12
n00b

Dmon is a B-Teamer with 60 points
Outstanding write up, thanks for sharing the experiences and taking the time to write it up.

Sounds like there are no losers in that group, but one winner - Viper.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:54 PM   #13
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon View Post
Outstanding write up, thanks for sharing the experiences and taking the time to write it up.

Sounds like there are no losers in that group, but one winner - Viper.
Good way to put it! Good to see that, like me, you've now crossed over to the dark side

Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:28 PM   #14

Nine Ball is not afraid of bears with 9757 pointsNine Ball is not afraid of bears with 9757 pointsNine Ball is not afraid of bears with 9757 pointsNine Ball is not afraid of bears with 9757 pointsNine Ball is not afraid of bears with 9757 pointsNine Ball is not afraid of bears with 9757 pointsNine Ball is not afraid of bears with 9757 pointsNine Ball is not afraid of bears with 9757 pointsNine Ball is not afraid of bears with 9757 pointsNine Ball is not afraid of bears with 9757 pointsNine Ball is not afraid of bears with 9757 points
Excellent review. You might be the only person that has tracked all of those cars, especially within the same few days. I don't know anyone that has tracked a C7 yet, and only a couple of us have tracked the Gen 5.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 05:44 PM   #15
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
Excellent review. You might be the only person that has tracked all of those cars, especially within the same few days. I don't know anyone that has tracked a C7 yet, and only a couple of us have tracked the Gen 5.
Thanks Tony.

Truth is, there was a side to me that was nervous about doing this. What if I liked the Vettes more than the Viper? Would I wish that I had waited for the C7 performance model? But as soon as I drove the Viper on the track, all was crystal clear to me. At this performance level, whether one chooses a Vette, a Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, GTR or Viper, it's more about how the car makes you feel. They're all fast and have their strengths. But the precision of the Viper, the connection to the track, there is nothing like that feeling. It really is in a class of it's own in this regard. I believe it is made for true track rats. It trades off a bit of comfort and isolation and rewards the owner with wicked fast laps on the track. It's a beast. Those that think the Gen V has been somehow tamed have not driven it on the track. It's a rush.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 11:03 PM   #16

Westerner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 points
The gen 4 acr is still the track king of vipers. Same hp and brakes ,but with stickier sport cup tires and huge downforce produced by the aero. More adjustability tuning with the kw coilover shocks.

Last edited by Westerner; October 23rd, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Old October 24th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #17
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
The gen 4 acr is still the track king of vipers. Same hp and brakes ,but with stickier sport cup tires and huge downforce produced by the aero. More adjustability tuning with the kw coilover shocks.
I'm a big fan of the Gen 4 ACR, it literally owns the track record at every track that i have tracked at. The Gen V does pretty well at the track too, even without aero and MPSCs. I was just 4 seconds off of the Thunderhill track record in my 100% stock Gen V, without the carbon aero option, and it was the first time I was on the track with my Viper. And that was with the Corsas. With practice, I should be able to shave a couple of seconds off. And with MPSCs, that could shave another couple of seconds off.

Old October 24th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #18

Westerner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 pointsWesterner is not afraid of bears with 6103 points
4 seconds, even 2 is huge on the track. Let's just hope that Dick Winkles gets the opportunity to develope a gen 5 acr with big aero .Not those little carbon fiber tid bit pieces you see already. Big 15 inch brakes,and bring back the fully adjustable kW coil over two way adjustable shocks. If not then the gen 4 acr is going to be the most sought after viper.

Old October 24th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #19
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner View Post
4 seconds, even 2 is huge on the track. Let's just hope that Dick Winkles gets the opportunity to develope a gen 5 acr with big aero .Not those little carbon fiber tid bit pieces you see already. Big 15 inch brakes,and bring back the fully adjustable kW coil over two way adjustable shocks. If not then the gen 4 acr is going to be the most sought after viper.
Man I hope so too. 300 pounds of downforce at 150 with the Gen V carbon aero package is nothing like the ACR aero, which is rumored to produce up to 1500 pounds downforce at 150. If they don't do a Gen V ACR, I may save up for a used Gen IV ACR down the road.

Old October 24th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #20
n00b

Dmon is a B-Teamer with 60 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOM V View Post
Good way to put it! Good to see that, like me, you've now crossed over to the dark side
LoL, been on here a while without posting. Not blasting or anything, but seems like it's gettin thin over there, lots of crickets chirping waiting for posts. Plus, I heard they have cookies on the darkside, so here I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen V SRT 2013-up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in