New viper owner 2004 - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT For discussions about the SRT, SRT Coupe, and ACR models.

New viper owner 2004

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

New viper owner 2004
Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:56 AM   #1
n00b

fearless is unremarkable with 10 points
New viper owner 2004

only had my convertible for 3 weeks now and went from a corvette to this. My question is when driving this on the highway and I hit a bump in the road, the back end of the car fells like it is being thrown side to side?

Just wondering if this is a normal issue since my vette never did that, it just feels like the car is going to spin around

anything else I should check out on the viper? It has 40,000 miles and I am the second owner.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:03 PM   #2

Hamrhead is not afraid of bears with 6707 pointsHamrhead is not afraid of bears with 6707 pointsHamrhead is not afraid of bears with 6707 pointsHamrhead is not afraid of bears with 6707 pointsHamrhead is not afraid of bears with 6707 pointsHamrhead is not afraid of bears with 6707 pointsHamrhead is not afraid of bears with 6707 pointsHamrhead is not afraid of bears with 6707 pointsHamrhead is not afraid of bears with 6707 pointsHamrhead is not afraid of bears with 6707 pointsHamrhead is not afraid of bears with 6707 points
These cars do have a stiff ride, but I've never had that feeling on either my '06 or present '08 Coupe. Though I do know what you're feeling. I remember it with the solid-axle pick-ups I've owned in the past.

My guess would be the tires assuming you still have Runflats on the Viper. They ride like shit.
Smoke them off(DoNuts are fun) and replace with a set of PS2's or some other non-runflat. Makes a noticeable difference.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM   #3

vmiaptetr made Varsity with 1347 pointsvmiaptetr made Varsity with 1347 pointsvmiaptetr made Varsity with 1347 pointsvmiaptetr made Varsity with 1347 pointsvmiaptetr made Varsity with 1347 pointsvmiaptetr made Varsity with 1347 pointsvmiaptetr made Varsity with 1347 pointsvmiaptetr made Varsity with 1347 pointsvmiaptetr made Varsity with 1347 pointsvmiaptetr made Varsity with 1347 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrhead View Post
These cars do have a stiff ride, but I've never had that feeling on either my '06 or present '08 Coupe. Though I do know what you're feeling. I remember it with the solid-axle pick-ups I've owned in the past.

My guess would be the tires assuming you still have Runflats on the Viper. They ride like shit.
Smoke them off(DoNuts are fun) and replace with a set of PS2's or some other non-runflat. Makes a noticeable difference.
I agree. Some fresh PS2s should do the trick.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:28 PM   #4

Black Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearless View Post
only had my convertible for 3 weeks now and went from a corvette to this. My question is when driving this on the highway and I hit a bump in the road, the back end of the car fells like it is being thrown side to side?

Just wondering if this is a normal issue since my vette never did that, it just feels like the car is going to spin around

anything else I should check out on the viper? It has 40,000 miles and I am the second owner.
My 03 was doing it with new PS2's and I found a blown shock in the rear. The car would jump side to side over a bump and change lanes if you hit a bump going around a curve. If you have stock springs it's a 30 min swap. If you're running aftermarket springs like Eibachs find someone with a strut machine that can take the coil spring off the replacement and put your coil on. If you can compress the shock by hand it's bad. Contact Ryan Hagen at DonScharf Automotive for a good used replacement for around $200+/-. [email protected] 800-338-4002.

Actually I have a good used one cheap if interested pm me. I just had one go and changed both out figuring the other is the same age.

Changing them is pretty easy.

Old January 24th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #5
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Moon View Post
My 03 was doing it with new PS2's and I found a blown shock in the rear. The car would jump side to side over a bump and change lanes if you hit a bump going around a curve. If you have stock springs it's a 30 min swap. If you're running aftermarket springs like Eibachs find someone with a strut machine that can take the coil spring off the replacement and put your coil on. If you can compress the shock by hand it's bad. Contact Ryan Hagen at DonScharf Automotive for a good used replacement for around $200+/-. [email protected] 800-338-4002.

Actually I have a good used one cheap if interested pm me. I just had one go and changed both out figuring the other is the same age.

Changing them is pretty easy.
I guess let me check and see if there bad. I do still have the run flats on it and planning on putting the nitto invo's on it. We have a account with a tire distribution and I get them at costs.

Old January 24th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #6

Black Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 pointsBlack Moon made Varsity with 798 points
I'd put the tires on before checking shocks. Run Craps suck.

Old January 24th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #7
Enthusiast

SRTVen is a B-Teamer with 100 pointsSRTVen is a B-Teamer with 100 points
Send a message via AIM to SRTVen
The factory shocks are not the best pieces in the world, and factory runflats ride like shit.

Old January 28th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #8
n00b

ok, I have another question.

On my corvette for exhaust, all I did was remove the mufflers and put in straight pipe with tips on them. I still had cats so it was legal but sounded really nice with no mufflers.

Can you do that on a viper? Just remove the muffler, insert straight pipe and leave the cats on and the car sound good?

Old January 29th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #9

vet4snak is kissing alot of ass around here with 510 pointsvet4snak is kissing alot of ass around here with 510 pointsvet4snak is kissing alot of ass around here with 510 pointsvet4snak is kissing alot of ass around here with 510 pointsvet4snak is kissing alot of ass around here with 510 pointsvet4snak is kissing alot of ass around here with 510 points
Send a message via AIM to vet4snak
hey noob, the mufflers are straight thru anyway, you may pick up some noise but it may be annoying. mopar exhaust is cheap and you can hollow out the secondary cats with no computer issues, or just remove the crossover pipes for less weight and a bit more flow.

Old February 19th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #10

dom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 points
Send a message via ICQ to dom_and_jen Send a message via AIM to dom_and_jen
Glad you're not in a crapbox anymore. It's not normal, no. Get your POS fixed.

Old February 19th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #11

dom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 pointsdom_and_jen made Varsity with 1200 points
Holy crap, 40,000 miles? What'd you pay, under $50k? Sounds like a POS. Good luck with it, plucky!

Old February 19th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #12

Jamie is The Man with 1530 pointsJamie is The Man with 1530 pointsJamie is The Man with 1530 pointsJamie is The Man with 1530 pointsJamie is The Man with 1530 pointsJamie is The Man with 1530 pointsJamie is The Man with 1530 pointsJamie is The Man with 1530 pointsJamie is The Man with 1530 pointsJamie is The Man with 1530 pointsJamie is The Man with 1530 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_and_jen View Post
Holy crap, 40,000 miles? What'd you pay, under $50k? Sounds like a POS. Good luck with it, plucky!
Averaging 6600 miles a year equals a POS?

Old February 19th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #13

audiowhiz is not afraid of bears with 5453 pointsaudiowhiz is not afraid of bears with 5453 pointsaudiowhiz is not afraid of bears with 5453 pointsaudiowhiz is not afraid of bears with 5453 pointsaudiowhiz is not afraid of bears with 5453 pointsaudiowhiz is not afraid of bears with 5453 pointsaudiowhiz is not afraid of bears with 5453 pointsaudiowhiz is not afraid of bears with 5453 pointsaudiowhiz is not afraid of bears with 5453 pointsaudiowhiz is not afraid of bears with 5453 pointsaudiowhiz is not afraid of bears with 5453 points
Get some Eibachs on it. The ride will be lower and much improved. Good bang for the buck.

Old February 20th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Averaging 6600 miles a year equals a POS?
Yes. One of my Vipers is a daily driver and I don't even put those kind of miles on it. Yuck.

Old March 26th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #15
n00b

Quote:

I got the car for $40,000 and put $6000 down. So your saying with 40,000 miles and only a 1 owner car, that was too much?

Old March 26th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #16
Doc
Gone Nomad

Doc is not afraid of bears with 45010 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 45010 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 45010 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 45010 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 45010 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 45010 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 45010 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 45010 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 45010 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 45010 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 45010 points
No, he's just being a dick. Most of us do that from time to time with new people.

If you are happy with what you paid then that is all that matters, but I think 40 is a pretty good price.

BTW, there is something off with your shocks or alignment or something. My runcraps were heat cycled to shit and they still never did anything like that. However, I did blow a shock at one point and it was all over the place.

It's not the tires and while vipers are stiff they handle bumps plenty well, get the car checked out.

Old March 26th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #17
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
No, he's just being a dick. Most of us do that from time to time with new people.

If you are happy with what you paid then that is all that matters, but I think 40 is a pretty good price.

BTW, there is something off with your shocks or alignment or something. My runcraps were heat cycled to shit and they still never did anything like that. However, I did blow a shock at one point and it was all over the place.

It's not the tires and while vipers are stiff they handle bumps plenty well, get the car checked out.
How do you check your shocks on a viper to see if they are blown or any good at all?

Old June 12th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #18
n00b

ok guys I am still trying to trace down this issue with the car being thrown around on bumps.

I am still running the run flats for now and when I look at the shocks, they don't seem wet or leaking oil.

I can get a set of factory shocks off a 2008 with 15,000 miles for $300 for all 4. Is this a good price or should I go with aftermarket shocks and maybe lower the car?

I have read that the car rides better being lowered but I know on other vehicles the car rides like crap being lowered. Maybe somebody can shed some light on the issue on if I should get the factory shocks for $300 or look into something else?

Old June 12th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #19
Diamond Supporter

AUSTIN is not afraid of bears with 34543 pointsAUSTIN is not afraid of bears with 34543 pointsAUSTIN is not afraid of bears with 34543 pointsAUSTIN is not afraid of bears with 34543 pointsAUSTIN is not afraid of bears with 34543 pointsAUSTIN is not afraid of bears with 34543 pointsAUSTIN is not afraid of bears with 34543 pointsAUSTIN is not afraid of bears with 34543 pointsAUSTIN is not afraid of bears with 34543 pointsAUSTIN is not afraid of bears with 34543 pointsAUSTIN is not afraid of bears with 34543 points
Quote:
Yes. One of my Vipers is a daily driver and I don't even put those kind of miles on it. Yuck.

You're an idiot.

Old June 14th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #20

Thin Man made Varsity with 1431 pointsThin Man made Varsity with 1431 pointsThin Man made Varsity with 1431 pointsThin Man made Varsity with 1431 pointsThin Man made Varsity with 1431 pointsThin Man made Varsity with 1431 pointsThin Man made Varsity with 1431 pointsThin Man made Varsity with 1431 pointsThin Man made Varsity with 1431 pointsThin Man made Varsity with 1431 points
Quote:
Does your Dad tell you that you are a good driver on your daily drive to the end of the driveway and back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in