Any single-turbo guys out there? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT For discussions about the SRT, SRT Coupe, and ACR models.

Any single-turbo guys out there?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 21st, 2005, 12:57 PM   #1
IRS > YOU

Mr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 points

I'm looking for any alternatives to the TT systems out there. If I've missed previous threads on this subject...sorry, get over it and help a guy out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	589980-Picture_013.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	11483  
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Any single-turbo guys out there?
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM   #2
Exhausted

Kenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 points

Dyno Daddy (I think that's his screen name) has his Gen II at SVS for a HUGE single. He's posted some pics before. It looks incredible.

Old November 21st, 2005, 01:56 PM   #3
Supporting Vendor

John Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 points

PUTTING A BIG SINGLE ON A VIPER IS NOT TOO HARD - IF YOU WANT A 1/4 MILE ONLY CAR. BUT PUTTING A BIG SINGLE UP FRONT GREATLY INCREASES THE AMOUNT OF HOT EXHAUST PLUMBING AND THERE LIES THE PROBLEM OF KEEPING EVERYTHING AROUND THOSE EXHAUST PIPES FROM MELTING.

IT COULD PROBABLY BE DONE IF YOU ARE UP FOR BEING THE GUINEE PIG FOR SOME SHOP. IF YOU WANT SOMETHING PROVEN THEN JUST DO TWINS.

Old November 21st, 2005, 02:19 PM   #4

UnderGroundRacing.com is not afraid of bears with 5740 pointsUnderGroundRacing.com is not afraid of bears with 5740 pointsUnderGroundRacing.com is not afraid of bears with 5740 pointsUnderGroundRacing.com is not afraid of bears with 5740 pointsUnderGroundRacing.com is not afraid of bears with 5740 pointsUnderGroundRacing.com is not afraid of bears with 5740 pointsUnderGroundRacing.com is not afraid of bears with 5740 pointsUnderGroundRacing.com is not afraid of bears with 5740 pointsUnderGroundRacing.com is not afraid of bears with 5740 pointsUnderGroundRacing.com is not afraid of bears with 5740 pointsUnderGroundRacing.com is not afraid of bears with 5740 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hennessey
PUTTING A BIG SINGLE ON A VIPER IS NOT TOO HARD - IF YOU WANT A 1/4 MILE ONLY CAR. BUT PUTTING A BIG SINGLE UP FRONT GREATLY INCREASES THE AMOUNT OF HOT EXHAUST PLUMBING AND THERE LIES THE PROBLEM OF KEEPING EVERYTHING AROUND THOSE EXHAUST PIPES FROM MELTING.

IT COULD PROBABLY BE DONE IF YOU ARE UP FOR BEING THE GUINEE PIG FOR SOME SHOP. IF YOU WANT SOMETHING PROVEN THEN JUST DO TWINS.
:yeahthat: :thumb:

Old November 21st, 2005, 05:34 PM   #5

Earl H is a B-Teamer with 70 points

Twins = easier packaging. I have a single turbo on my Z and I'm limited to a 3" downpipe. Also, people think that a single turbo system is cheaper than a twin. Based on my observations, there isn't much difference cost wise. For example, compare the cost of a T6 Big frame turbo and the cost of a two smaller t3/t4 hybrids or T4 turbos.

I'm in the process of switching to twins and a stroker motor for that car. Much of my decision came after having my GTS twin turbo'd. I have to say that I prefer the on boost/off boost characteristics of adequately sized twins vs a big single. The drag race guys swear a big single is more efficient at a given boost level, but it really just depends on what you want re driving charasterics. Packaging a single is generally tougher, especially as you start to go with the larger units. I think that with a Viper, you'd need to run at least a T91/T6 Housing and I believe those come with a 5" outlet. Plumbing that thing would be your first challenge. Keeping everything from melting would be your second challenge. After driving my footwell mounted turbo system for a couple of months, I have to say that I love it. Boost response is great, nothing melts and the car runs cool (temp).

Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:54 PM   #6

Viperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 points

Oops, sorry! I thought you were single looking for guys with one big turbo. My bad.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:14 PM   #7
IRS > YOU

Mr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 points

Thanks for letting us know you swing that way.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:56 AM   #8

Viperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 pointsViperfreak2 made Varsity with 1220 points

Kinda FREAKY, huh?

Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:46 AM   #9
IRS > YOU

No doubt.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 06:34 PM   #10

DynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 points
Send a message via AIM to DynoDaddy

I have the turbo on the car and am about to start it up. I am running a PT101mm. I had to spend about $600 in thermal protection and lot of common sense and I am pretty sure I will not have any heat issues. There is another guy here on the alley that is about to start his single turbo install. Everyone on this board seems really scared about heat and acts like there is no cure for it.

Here is a picture from about a month ago

[image]http://mark8.org/users/ponyfreak/web/viper/Single%20Turbo%20project/DSC04527.JPG[/image]

Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:05 PM   #11

DynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 pointsDynoDaddy made Varsity with 1250 points

I went with a single turbo because it is lighter and cheaper, and I like the exhaust note of a big single over twins. Plus I wanted to have a different setup, and make maximum power with pump gas.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:52 PM   #12
Enthusiast

99turbo is definately JV with 250 points99turbo is definately JV with 250 points99turbo is definately JV with 250 points

I have had my large frame single turbo car running for over a year and I have not melted anything. And I drive it on the street a lot. I agree with dynodaddy that if you take the right steps as far as coatings and thermal protection you wont have any problems. But I don't agree about the cheaper part one large frame turbo cost as much as two t3 or t4 turbos. You can run two blow off valves on and two waste gates on both systems so I don't see how it would be any cheaper. I think that is a big miss conception, they are very similar in price.
And they harder to package, if you are going to run all your factory stuff and not cut up the car. But I do agree on the single being overall lighter part.
Dynodaddy the pic looks great, the car looks like its coming along real nice.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 10:52 PM   #13
IRS > YOU

Wow, that's BIG!!! How much in parts do you have in it? How much different would the install be on an '05? Would the case need to be lower? Thanks for your reply. I can't afford a TT set-up, so I'm leaning towards the Velocity Performance Paxton install/tune (9,500), but would prefer a dependable single-turbo set-up.

Old November 24th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #14

I paid FAR from retail and less than cost for my new turbo. The large frames can be found at great bargins if you know where to look and what time of year to look for them. Retail for retail, CFM for CFM I suppose they are abotu neck and neck price wise.

Old November 25th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #15

SRT10_SWISS is unremarkable with 20 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2
Oops, sorry! I thought you were single looking for guys with one big turbo. My bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in