Brake lights not working - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT For discussions about the SRT, SRT Coupe, and ACR models.

Brake lights not working

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Brake lights not working
Old September 15th, 2020, 07:35 PM   #1
n00b

Traffic is unremarkable with 10 points
Brake lights not working

Hello everyone!

Been awhile since I've posted. I own a 2004 SRT-10. I did a search for brake lights not working and couldn't find anything specifically for this issue. I was told about 9 months ago my brake lights weren't working by someone in traffic. I drove her home and completely forgot about it. I've driven her a hand full of times since then, but shes mostly been in hibernation due to the pandemic and me not driving much. I finally remembered yesterday and have been working to resolve the issue. It is all 3 brake lights so I figured it was the brake light switch. Swapped it out today and no luck. I checked the fuse which looked good. To make sure, I swapped it with the same size known good a/c fuse and still nada. I got some bulbs and swapped them out to no avail. I don't know where to go next. Any ideas or direction would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jesse K.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner

8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 9221 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 9221 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 9221 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 9221 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 9221 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 9221 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 9221 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 9221 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 9221 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 9221 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 9221 points
Faulty brake light switch connection?

Last edited by 8.0L>1.8T; September 15th, 2020 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Connection

Old September 15th, 2020, 08:18 PM   #3
Enthusiast

HughJass is kissing alot of ass around here with 476 pointsHughJass is kissing alot of ass around here with 476 pointsHughJass is kissing alot of ass around here with 476 pointsHughJass is kissing alot of ass around here with 476 pointsHughJass is kissing alot of ass around here with 476 points
Brakes are for quitters

Old September 15th, 2020, 08:45 PM   #4
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.0L>1.8T View Post
Definitely possible the new one was faulty, if nothing else comes up I may have to warranty swap it.

Old September 15th, 2020, 08:46 PM   #5
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJass View Post
Brakes are for quitters
Well you ain't wrong. 😉

Old September 17th, 2020, 03:05 PM   #6
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.0L>1.8T View Post
Well... Update, I checked the full undercarriage of the car for any loose or frayed wires. Everything checked out. Checked under the hood, all good. Went back to the brake light switch itself and disconnected the wire harness. It has 4 wires going to it. I connected a test light to the ground on the wire harness and checked the other 3 wires to see if it was getting power. It is, so I then used 2 test wires to connect the remaining 2 wires in the harness to the hot wire and poof my brake lights are on... This tells me that the culprit has to be the brake light switch right? Nope. I just warranty swapped the brake light switch and still no brake lights when pressing the pedal... I'm at a loss at this point. I can verify ground and hot are good and if I connect the other to to the hot the brake lights work. This tells me wiring after the switch is also good. Where do I go from here?

Old September 17th, 2020, 03:07 PM   #7
n00b

Here is a picture of what I did to make the brake lights work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23949_1600373226832.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	149147   Click image for larger version

Name:	23952_1600373891016.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	149149  

Last edited by Traffic; September 17th, 2020 at 03:18 PM.

Old September 17th, 2020, 03:19 PM   #8
DEETOO

Ramtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 points
Is the switch actually making its contacts when pressing the pedal? IE adjusted correctly? With the switch not mounted and plugged into the harness can you click the switch on and off by hand, does it work then?

Old September 17th, 2020, 03:39 PM   #9
DEETOO

Ramtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 7314 points
OPERATION

When the brake pedal is pressed, the plunger on the outside of the brake lamp switch extends outward. This action opens or closes the contacts of the three switches inside the brake lamp switch.

With the brake pedal pressed down (plunger extended), the switch for terminals 1 and 2 is closed completing the circuit. The switch for terminals 3 and 4 is open and so is the switch for terminals 5 and 6.

When the brake pedal is released (plunger pushed in), the three switches assume the opposite positions. The switch for terminals 1 and 2 is now open while the other two switches are now closed, completing their circuits.

A lever on the back of the switch is used to set the switch into the “adjusted” position. A non-adjusted switch will have the lever set to the diagonal position in relation to the switch housing. The plunger can be moved in and out, but the states of the internal switches will not change.

CAUTION: Never move the adjustment lever of the new brake lamp switch without it being properly installed in the vehicle first. Such action will render the switch unusable and the switch must be discarded.

Once installed in the vehicle as described in the brake lamp switch installation procedure (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/BRAKE LAMP SWITCH - INSTALLATION), the new switch's adjustment lever is rotated to the adjusted position as indicated. This action locks the plunger to the internal switches. Once in this position the switch is permanently adjusted (or locked) and cannot be readjusted or released even if the lever is moved back.

From service manual.

Old September 17th, 2020, 03:40 PM   #10
DEETOO

INSTALLATION

CAUTION: Do not reuse the original brake lamp switch. This switch can only be adjusted once. That is during initial installation of the switch. If the switch is not adjusted properly or has been removed for some service, a new switch must be installed and adjusted.

Obtain NEW brake lamp switch. Adjustment lever on new switch should be at a 45° angle from wiring connector. If adjustment lever is parallel with wiring connector, switch has been preset and must be scrapped. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESET (OR READJUST) BRAKE LAMP SWITCH.
Connect wiring harness to connector on switch (Brake Lamp Switch Mounting).
Mount and adjust NEW brake lamp switch using following steps:
Install switch in its bracket by aligning the index tab on switch with notch in mounting bracket.
When switch body is fully seated in its bracket, rotate switch clockwise approximately 30° to lock switch into place.
With brake pedal in fully released position, move adjustment lever on brake lamp switch from 45° angled non-adjusted position, clockwise as shown, until it is parallel with wiring connector (Adjustment Lever Movement). Brake lamp switch is now properly adjusted to vehicle.
Reconnect battery negative cable to post on battery.
Check stop lamps to verify they are operating properly and not staying on when brake pedal is in released position.
Road test vehicle to ensure proper operation of brakes (including ABS) and lamps.

Old September 17th, 2020, 04:05 PM   #11
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtuff View Post
Is the switch actually making its contacts when pressing the pedal? IE adjusted correctly? With the switch not mounted and plugged into the harness can you click the switch on and off by hand, does it work then?
I have tested the switch independent of the pedal with no change. I did do all this with the battery connected, maybe I need to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and try again?

Thanks,

Jesse K.

Old September 17th, 2020, 06:10 PM   #12
DEETOO

Follow the installation instructions to set the switch.
As much as I hate to say it he may need another switch. If you didn’t click the lever to set the switch. Try it again. Otherwise you may need to buy a new switch.

Old September 18th, 2020, 09:40 AM   #13
n00b

Quote:
As much as I hate to say it he may need another switch. If you didn’t click the lever to set the switch. Try it again. Otherwise you may need to buy a new switch.
I tries a 3rd switch with no change. A buddy of mine suggested buying the switch wire loom since I get brake lights when I bypass the switch. He said its possible the metal contacts may not be coming in contact with the contacts on the brake light switch itself. It should arrive today. I will give an update from there. Wish me luck!

Old September 18th, 2020, 04:16 PM   #14
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traffic View Post
Quote:
I tries a 3rd switch with no change. A buddy of mine suggested buying the switch wire loom since I get brake lights when I bypass the switch. He said its possible the metal contacts may not be coming in contact with the contacts on the brake light switch itself. It should arrive today. I will give an update from there. Wish me luck!
No luck. New plug.. Same issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0918201457_1600463740655.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	149157   Click image for larger version

Name:	0918201404a_1600463759246.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	727.7 KB
ID:	149159  

Old September 21st, 2020, 11:13 AM   #15
n00b

luxuryrules is unremarkable with 10 points
Continuity test the switch itself, if you haven't already?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in