Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

New '06 Roadster owner checking in

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  intense5.5 
#1 ·
My closed transport delivered my 2006 Slate Crystal Viper Roadster this morning. I've been a Viper fan since I first set my eyes upon a prototype at an NHRA race back in 92. It's been a dream of mine to own one ever since that day, and today, I finally made that dream come true.

It's the wet season here in the Pacific NW, but today, the sky opened up and the sun was shining down. I gratefully put a couple hours of seat time in it and gave my family all a ride. After returning home and parking her in the garage, I couldn't help but choke up a bit. It feels surreal. I'm not a materialistic person, I've owned several fast cars in the past, but to finally own the car I dreamed about as a kid is a feeling that is indescribable in words. I have overcome a lot of obstacles throughout my life and to be in a position to make a purchase like this without impacting my lifestyle is something that I am very proud of.

I look forward to learning and being a part of this community.

#5 ·
Congrats & welcome! Great looking car.

I'm a nobody newbie here but I'll just mention that this gang is one tight bunch. Definitely
knowledgeable on Vipers & always ready to hack your balls off. A daily must read w morning coffee.

Bonus: some funny mofos!!

#7 ·
Thank you. Looks like we have several days of dry weather, so looking forward to getting a bunch of drive time in.

I noticed that when I turn the wheel all the way one way or the other, there's a rubbing noise coming from the rear end. When the dealer performed the PPI, they noticed this and changed the diff fluid for me and stated the noise went away, but I still hear it. Has anyone else experienced this? What's the fix?

#10 ·
Thanks! Share some pics! Is yours stock or do you have any mods?

You mentioned they changed the diff fluid, but did they also put the friction modifier in?
Good question. I'll call to verify the FM was added. When I called last week to question them about the diff, I spoke directly to the viper tech who said that this is a common issue when the viper sits for a while and isn't driven. The fluid gums up and most of the time a diff fluid change will resolve it, but occasionally, it requires a second flush which works 9/10 times. For the 1/10 times it doesn't work, the diff needs to be rebuilt. Curious if anyone has any feedback on this.

#16 ·
I have not. I assume the dealership, who performed the PPI, would've done that since they had it up on the lift and provided a thorough inspection for me. However, I'd like to inspect for myself. I'm pretty capable, is it pretty easy to spot? Any tips for doing the inner e-brake pad inspection on our gen 3s?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.