Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   New '06 Roadster owner checking in (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297533)

Gootz February 12th, 2020 06:45 PM

New '06 Roadster owner checking in
 
My closed transport delivered my 2006 Slate Crystal Viper Roadster this morning. I've been a Viper fan since I first set my eyes upon a prototype at an NHRA race back in 92. It's been a dream of mine to own one ever since that day, and today, I finally made that dream come true.

It's the wet season here in the Pacific NW, but today, the sky opened up and the sun was shining down. I gratefully put a couple hours of seat time in it and gave my family all a ride. After returning home and parking her in the garage, I couldn't help but choke up a bit. It feels surreal. I'm not a materialistic person, I've owned several fast cars in the past, but to finally own the car I dreamed about as a kid is a feeling that is indescribable in words. I have overcome a lot of obstacles throughout my life and to be in a position to make a purchase like this without impacting my lifestyle is something that I am very proud of.

I look forward to learning and being a part of this community.

Gootz February 12th, 2020 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a quick pic I snapped after giving her a wipe down.

99RT10&GTS February 12th, 2020 08:38 PM

One of the best colors that Dodge ever conceived. Great looking car sir!!!

nautoncall February 13th, 2020 08:24 PM

Congratulations


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brickhead February 14th, 2020 04:05 AM

Congrats & welcome! Great looking car.

I'm a nobody newbie here but I'll just mention that this gang is one tight bunch. Definitely
knowledgeable on Vipers & always ready to hack your balls off. A daily must read w morning coffee.

Bonus: some funny mofos!!

misfit February 15th, 2020 09:41 AM

Nice looking car, congrats.

Gootz February 17th, 2020 04:36 PM

Thank you. Looks like we have several days of dry weather, so looking forward to getting a bunch of drive time in.

I noticed that when I turn the wheel all the way one way or the other, there's a rubbing noise coming from the rear end. When the dealer performed the PPI, they noticed this and changed the diff fluid for me and stated the noise went away, but I still hear it. Has anyone else experienced this? What's the fix?

latamud February 17th, 2020 10:17 PM

Welcome and nice Viper! I have the EXACT same car, same year/color/vert.

MoJoZ06 February 19th, 2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gootz (Post 4694255)
Thank you. Looks like we have several days of dry weather, so looking forward to getting a bunch of drive time in.

I noticed that when I turn the wheel all the way one way or the other, there's a rubbing noise coming from the rear end. When the dealer performed the PPI, they noticed this and changed the diff fluid for me and stated the noise went away, but I still hear it. Has anyone else experienced this? What's the fix?

You mentioned they changed the diff fluid, but did they also put the friction modifier in?

Gootz February 26th, 2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latamud (Post 4694311)
Welcome and nice Viper! I have the EXACT same car, same year/color/vert.

Thanks! Share some pics! Is yours stock or do you have any mods?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoJoZ06 (Post 4694591)
You mentioned they changed the diff fluid, but did they also put the friction modifier in?

Good question. I'll call to verify the FM was added. When I called last week to question them about the diff, I spoke directly to the viper tech who said that this is a common issue when the viper sits for a while and isn't driven. The fluid gums up and most of the time a diff fluid change will resolve it, but occasionally, it requires a second flush which works 9/10 times. For the 1/10 times it doesn't work, the diff needs to be rebuilt. Curious if anyone has any feedback on this.

Doc February 26th, 2020 12:52 PM

If you do need a rebuilt diff get 3.55 gears. Honestly, one of the best mods you can do.

Lj60 February 26th, 2020 06:11 PM

what kind of noise are you hearing? have you checked your inner brake pads on your emergency brake yet?

Hamrhead February 29th, 2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 4695217)
If you do need a rebuilt diff get 3.55 gears. Honestly, one of the best mods you can do.

I'll second that.

I did 3.55's in my '06 Coupe and one of my '08 Coupes. Awesome mod and you can actually use 6th gear!


Nice looking Viper - Great Color as well. Good Luck w/ it!

Gootz February 29th, 2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 4695217)
If you do need a rebuilt diff get 3.55 gears. Honestly, one of the best mods you can do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamrhead (Post 4695479)
I'll second that.

I did 3.55's in my '06 Coupe and one of my '08 Coupes. Awesome mod and you can actually use 6th gear!

Nice looking Viper - Great Color as well. Good Luck w/ it!

Thanks. This is my 3rd car with a 6 gear box and the 1st where the 6th gear is literally useless. :dunno:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lj60 (Post 4695247)
what kind of noise are you hearing? have you checked your inner brake pads on your emergency brake yet?

It's difficult to put into words. It is definitely coming from the rear of the vehicle and I'm 85% sure it's from the rear end. It sounds as if you took 2 piece of rubber that were being pushed against each other while simultaneously being pushed perpendicularly, so every little bit they release their friction and catch again making an odd rubberized squeaking sound as the release and catch. Not sure if that makes sense, but like I said, it's an unusual sound and is hard to describe.

Next time the weather permits, I'll take it out, get an audio recording and upload it.

Lj60 March 1st, 2020 10:54 PM

yes, but have you checked your INNER emergency brake pads? known to wear out on gen 3 even if not used due to tension put on them by the e brake cable.

Gootz March 2nd, 2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lj60 (Post 4695631)
yes, but have you checked your INNER emergency brake pads? known to wear out on gen 3 even if not used due to tension put on them by the e brake cable.

I have not. I assume the dealership, who performed the PPI, would've done that since they had it up on the lift and provided a thorough inspection for me. However, I'd like to inspect for myself. I'm pretty capable, is it pretty easy to spot? Any tips for doing the inner e-brake pad inspection on our gen 3s?

Lj60 March 2nd, 2020 05:39 PM

you need to take a look for yourself. jack up car, pull rear wheel off and take a look. the mechanic doing the PPI might have looked at the outside pad, said looks good, put checkmark on the PPI.

latamud March 11th, 2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gootz (Post 4695211)
Thanks! Share some pics! Is yours stock or do you have any mods?

Mine is stock, just BC Coilovers.
https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/...FB7CE099F.jpeg

intense5.5 March 11th, 2020 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by latamud (Post 4696819)

I don't think that the H wheels are the stock wheels, and they didn't come in black from the factory, so those are painted or powder coated. But they're nicer than the more common 10 spokes so good for you.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2 ©2009, Crawlability, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
ViperAlley.com is in no way affiliated with Daimler Chrysler. Dodge, Viper, RT/10, the Viper logo and likeness are registered trademarks of Daimler Chrysler.
The contents of this site are owned by ViperAlley.Com and may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of the Administrator.