new guy here - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT For discussions about the SRT, SRT Coupe, and ACR models.

new guy here

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

new guy here
Old January 11th, 2020, 03:01 PM   #1
n00b

hemi steve is unremarkable with 10 points
new guy here

All
I'm new here so allow me to introduce myself.

I'm a car geek. I admit it. I've owned a pretty fair number of fast and / interesting cars in my 73 years. For instance:

'70 dodge challenger red/white 318 4-speed. My first brand new car. Questionable quality but I loved it.

Fiat X/19 made of water soluble metal

'51 Plymouth business coupe with Chev 265 (2) 4bbl, roller cam 4 speed. Ran it in E-Gas at the drag strip when mere mortals could actually be competitive.

'58 chevy with '63 409 425 hp. Installed Z11 valve train. It was scary fast in the day. Did a bunch of street racing out of Skips Drive In west of Chicago.

'79 Corvette L-82 4 speed. It had pretty much every option including the factory CB radio!! It was the first and last black car I ever owned.

'72 Maserati Bora. It was a pure European car brought in when such things were easier to do. It was serial no 120. The tenth out of I believe 11 cars built in '72. It was a terrific car ( except for the Citroen hydraulics).

'84 Porsche 944 maroon over grey-beige. Just ok car but put 60k miles on it as a daily driver.

'83 Ferrari 308 GTSi Quatrovalvole, red over tan of course. Also a great car (except for the Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection which was very fussy to adjust to get past emissions testing).

'83 Lamborghini Countach, red over tan. I could write a book about the car. The short story is....Great automobile, not so great car. I sold it for 5X what I paid for it.

'32 Ford High Boy roadster with B&M blower on Chev. 350 engine and 350 automatic. Fun car but sometimes scary to drive with the vintage suspension design.

'70 Dodge Challenger white ove black with a John Arruzza built 511 cu in Hemi, Tremec 5 speed and Strange Engineering S-60 axle. Very fast and reliable muscle car. 10.5 sec 134mph 1/4 mile. Dyno said 721 hp.

The Deuce and the Challenger were destroyed in a garage fire caused by a Lithium ion battery. Had good insurance and got the agreed value after a little arm wrestling.

2006 Lamborghini Gallardo SE (#169 out of 250) Pearl white over black-white. Carbon ceramic brakes. This has been a great car. The 6-speed E-gear thansmission is very good. I still have this car.

'73 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (resto-mod) Limelight green over white with a full roller 528 cu in cross ram Hemi mated to a Tremec T-56 gear box from a Viper and a Strange S-60 axle with 4.10 gears. I still have this car. not quite as fast as the white one I think.

1999 Plymouth Prowler Prowler Purple over Black. I really like this car and it is very fun to drive. I've still got it.

So anyway. I'm going to sell the hemi and looking at replacing it with a Viper. Im looking at maybe a GTS or an SRT-10 convertible in the mid $40's or so. My alternative would be a C7 Corvette. A good friend had a GTS back when they were new and loved it. He warns me about the availability of parts for any of the Vipers. I suspect that that is mostly true but it's just as true for my Prowler I think. Parts are out there but they are pricey. Is that true for Vipers also?

I've been reading the Viper forums and it seems like they are reasonably reliable and not stupid expensive to maintain. True?

One thing I read is that these cars can have very high cabin heat..True? if so is there a fix for this? I take it that the a/c can't keep up.

Are there any issues I need to pay attention to in my search for one of the above cars?

Thanks

Steve
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2020, 07:44 PM   #2
n00b

Dreamcarviper is unremarkable with 10 points
Cabin heat on Gen 3 is a known issue but a simple removal of the stock exhaust (X Pipe) and replace with a Gen IV or aftermarket and problem is solved with an added perk of sound.
Parts can get pricey but I wouldn't say much more than some of the other cars you have had. Overall the car is an easy machine and fairly easy to work on yourself if that is your thing. AC on some of the newer cars was an issue but I haven't had any problems with my Gen 3

Old February 6th, 2020, 07:11 PM   #3

99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 110021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 110021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 110021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 110021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 110021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 110021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 110021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 110021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 110021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 110021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 110021 points
Buddy of mine has a Gen 5 exhaust for cheap. Message me if interested.

Old February 6th, 2020, 07:25 PM   #4

plumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi steve View Post
'70 dodge challenger red/white 318 4-speed.

'70 Dodge Challenger white ove black with a John Arruzza built 511 cu in Hemi, Tremec 5 speed and Strange Engineering S-60 axle. Very fast and reliable muscle car. 10.5 sec 134mph 1/4 mile. Dyno said 721 hp.

'73 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (resto-mod) Limelight green over white with a full roller 528 cu in cross ram Hemi mated to a Tremec T-56 gear box from a Viper and a Strange S-60 axle with 4.10 gears. I still have this car. not quite as fast as the white one I think.

steve, welcome to here and you have/had some nice cars but they were the wrong color
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in