Rear wheel grinding noise? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT For discussions about the SRT, SRT Coupe, and ACR models.

Rear wheel grinding noise?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (2 members and 1 guests)
Gootz, Ramtuff

Old December 3rd, 2019, 04:56 PM   #1
Enthusiast

ttviperman is a B-Teamer with 126 pointsttviperman is a B-Teamer with 126 points

Hello all. So I thought I had posted this a couple weeks ago but my post is nowhere to be found so ill post again. I have an 04' vert with a RSI motor and tt build. Car has been great but recently I noticed when I turn slowly to the right or going straight its fine, but when I turn left I hear a grinding noise in the RR wheel and I can feel it in the butt of the seat.... now in my language what it sounds like and feels like is this..... when you have a brake pad wore down to the rivets and its digging into the rotors, is what it sounds exactly like. I have taken off both rear wheels and the pads are almost new thickness and fine and rotors are clean so ive ruled out the brake system. But without a load on the wheels spinning it on jack stands obviously produces no noise. If anyone has had this happen or what a common cause might be I would appreciate all replies greatly! Thanks much everyone.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2019, 06:31 PM   #2

Ramtuff is not afraid of bears with 6037 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 6037 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 6037 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 6037 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 6037 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 6037 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 6037 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 6037 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 6037 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 6037 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 6037 points
Could be a wheel bearing. Most times you won’t feel it by just turning the wheel by hand.

Did you also check the e-brake pads? The stiffness of the cables tend to put pressure on the caliper wearing out the inner pad. Could be inertia when you turn putting extra pressure on the assembly.

Old December 3rd, 2019, 10:23 PM   #3

99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 106104 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 106104 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 106104 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 106104 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 106104 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 106104 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 106104 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 106104 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 106104 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 106104 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 106104 points
^^^This^^^ check your E-brake pads.

Old December 4th, 2019, 06:48 PM   #4
Enthusiast

ttviperman is a B-Teamer with 126 pointsttviperman is a B-Teamer with 126 points
Its unamimous.... ill pull down the ebrake caliper thanks. ill update what the prognosis is.

Update.... not the caliper:(
Old January 15th, 2020, 08:10 AM   #5
Enthusiast

Update.... not the caliper:(

Ok guys, i havent forgotten to post an update. So i took off BOTH rear parking brake calipers, as this also allowed me to clean them up and clean wheels and the main calipers, but to no avail left hand turns still sound like brake pad rivets digging into a rotor. I have an appt. monday to have my rear end fluid changed. Im having Amsoil 75-140 and 4 oz. of the fm put in. They are also going to inspect my rear wheel bearings. I will post another update Monday.

Old January 19th, 2020, 11:54 AM   #6
n00b

RI-Viper is unremarkable with 10 points
i had a chatter noise in the rear end of vehicle. i changed out the fluid and add the friction modifier. drove it for about 20 miles and figure 8s and noise is gone.

Old Today, 07:03 PM   #7
n00b

Gootz is unremarkable with 10 points
When I had the PPI performed on my newly acquired '06 roadster at the Dodge dealership, the Viper tech commented on the grinding noise in the rear, so went ahead and changed the diff fluid and it seemed to fix the issue. I'll report back if I have any other issues or solutions. Curious to hear more feedback from others about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« new guy here | - »