Gen 2 vs Gen 3 Notable Differences/Quirks - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT For discussions about the SRT, SRT Coupe, and ACR models.

Gen 2 vs Gen 3 Notable Differences/Quirks

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
2001GTS

Old November 26th, 2019, 06:54 PM   #1
n00b

Gootz is unremarkable with 10 points

I've been looking at Gen 2s for months now and have come across some good deals on a couple Gen 3s. It got me thinking and wanted to check in with those of you who are most familiar with them to learn about your experiences.

I'm not going to be heavily modifying whatever Viper I end up with, so that isn't necessarily a factor I'm worried about. Probably just full exhaust, smooth tubes/intake and maybe a tune.

I'm mostly curious about reliability, quirks each gen has (Gen 2 battery located behind the right rear tire, gen 3's last 2 intake manifold bolts located underneath the cowl shroud making it really difficult to change spark plug wires, etc.), things that would make ownership a bit more challenging for the weekend mechanic, etc.

Thanks in advance
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2019, 01:32 AM   #2

99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 105154 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 105154 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 105154 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 105154 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 105154 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 105154 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 105154 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 105154 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 105154 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 105154 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 105154 points
Actually, the battery is located behind the LEFT rear tire........

Both cars are pretty reliable, Gen 3 brakes are MUCH better. Real folding soft top too. Easier to Daily drive it.

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #3

2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points
I have a Gen2 so Iím probably biased.

I would say more people are interested in the GTS and canít tell the difference between the 4&5 which is equally as cool. At car shows. The Gen2 is sometimes confused with a corvette at first for some reason.

The gen3 coverts donít get much love at all.

As far as working on cars gen2 is the easiest car ever, even compared to my 4clyinder Honda or fox body mustang.

Gen2 have the best seats

Gen3 has the front fenders which stay in the way.

On the good side gen 3 has cruise and arguably better interior.
I like the looks of the gen3 tail lights
Easier gen4 head conversion

Old Today, 01:07 PM   #4

WDW MKR made Varsity with 753 pointsWDW MKR made Varsity with 753 pointsWDW MKR made Varsity with 753 pointsWDW MKR made Varsity with 753 pointsWDW MKR made Varsity with 753 pointsWDW MKR made Varsity with 753 pointsWDW MKR made Varsity with 753 points
The visual differences in Gen4 & Gen5 are pretty obvious. Did you mean Gen3 & Gen4, or Gen2 & Gen5?

As far as recommendations... I love my Gen2, but a Gen3 coupe would be a tempting option if starting from scratch. My father had a Gen4 for a short period and it was definitely a more comfortable and easier to drive car. They also look great with a Gen4 hood swap, but still not as sexy/iconic as the Gen2. Both platforms are easy to work on... very easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old Today, 01:53 PM   #5
Enthusiast

Uncle Paul is kissing alot of ass around here with 506 pointsUncle Paul is kissing alot of ass around here with 506 pointsUncle Paul is kissing alot of ass around here with 506 pointsUncle Paul is kissing alot of ass around here with 506 pointsUncle Paul is kissing alot of ass around here with 506 pointsUncle Paul is kissing alot of ass around here with 506 points
Had both a Gen 2 & 3.

Thought Gen 2 (B/W) was the most beautiful. Brakes were bad, A/C was terrible, tended to over heat on tracks, interior was hot due to side pipes, shifter was loose and tended to go through rear ends. No matter...I loved that car.

Gen 3 was a much better car. A/C and heater worked great, shifter was stronger and much more positive, lots more horsepower, better suspension, fun to put the top down. Had far fewer mechanical issues plus a huge leap up in fit and finish as well. Added a Paxton Supercharger and it turned into a wild beast. Fast as hell and tremendous power. Ruined it as a track car, but sure was crazy on the street. Never emotionally connected with that car.

My Gen IV was the best of both world. A well developed and reliable car. Excellent track and road manners. Coupe looked great and I still miss that car.

Old Today, 03:54 PM   #6

2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4051 points
Agreed forgot about that.

Gen2 is terrible on AC and cabin heat.

But if you remove cats it makes a world of difference.

I also have my fan come on at 190 and hi speed at 205f

This is a must for hotter climates, with these mods itís pretty good afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in