Sputtering idle... left engine bank only? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT For discussions about the SRT, SRT Coupe, and ACR models.

Sputtering idle... left engine bank only?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 2nd, 2019, 12:19 PM   #1
n00b

MoJoZ06 is unremarkable with 10 points

2006 SRT10. Looking for some advice and ideas on what the hell could be the issue. From shortly after start, idles extremely rough, sputtering and hesitating. Discovered this to be from the drivers side only, after walking around the car with it idling. Exhaust note coming out of passenger side seems normal. Yet from the drivers side sounds like it’s almost ready to stall. Connected SCT x3 to check for codes... No codes, which seems crazy to me. I’m baffled. Any ideas or advice welcome.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2019, 02:38 PM   #2

Ramtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 points
Stock exhaust?

Old November 2nd, 2019, 03:45 PM   #3

99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104854 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104854 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104854 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104854 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104854 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104854 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104854 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104854 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104854 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104854 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104854 points
Possible plugged cats.

Old November 2nd, 2019, 04:42 PM   #4

Ramtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5987 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RT10>S View Post
Possible plugged cats.
My guess too, but with stock exhaust crossing over I wanted him to check the correct side.

Old November 2nd, 2019, 05:03 PM   #5
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtuff View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RT10>S View Post
Possible plugged cats.
My guess too, but with stock exhaust crossing over I wanted him to check the correct side.
No, cats replaced with high flow cats and Corsa cat-backs. Should have included that info from the get go. Dyno tuned about 5 months ago by Zen Racing. Problem only recently started.

Old November 2nd, 2019, 07:02 PM   #6

I know right? My washing machine quit working, what do you think is wrong?

I would start with checking plugs to try and isolate a cyl.

Old November 2nd, 2019, 09:36 PM   #7
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtuff View Post
I know right? My washing machine quit working, what do you think is wrong?

I would start with checking plugs to try and isolate a cyl.

I know, I’m a dumbass. lol. I got wrapped up in trying to explain the issue, which yeah, how the hell do you put in words something like this. I appreciate the help, Ramtuff.

Old November 4th, 2019, 05:26 PM   #8

GRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 12690 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 12690 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 12690 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 12690 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 12690 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 12690 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 12690 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 12690 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 12690 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 12690 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 12690 points
Invest in a scan tool that monitors data. Should take you right to the issue.

Old November 6th, 2019, 09:15 PM   #9
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRCFORCE327 View Post
Invest in a scan tool that monitors data. Should take you right to the issue.
GRCFORCE327, I was thinking about that earlier today, and I appreciate the input. Any recommendations on a particular brand or model?

Old November 10th, 2019, 08:14 AM   #10
Enthusiast

Lj60 is unremarkable with 10 points
I think i read somewhere that our 2000’s vintage ecu’s were not good at picking up a misfire. Possibly not good on purpose. Computers were slow back then and the engine has an un-even firing order. Very hard for a vintage ecu to determine what was normal and what is a misfire. How could dodge sell a car that always popped a code of Pxxxx = code reads “engine sounds like a harley davidson motorcycle mating with a ups truck”. Easy solution for dodge was to make it not catch a misfire

Anyway, how old are your plug wires? Plugs? Change them out. While plugs are out, do a compression or even better a leakdown test on all cylinders. Next check injectors. Or you could check them first. Depending on your time/ money situation, You could pull the injectors and swap them left to right. See if the misfire moves to the other side

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #11
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lj60 View Post
I think i read somewhere that our 2000’s vintage ecu’s were not good at picking up a misfire. Possibly not good on purpose. Computers were slow back then and the engine has an un-even firing order. Very hard for a vintage ecu to determine what was normal and what is a misfire. How could dodge sell a car that always popped a code of Pxxxx = code reads “engine sounds like a harley davidson motorcycle mating with a ups truck”. Easy solution for dodge was to make it not catch a misfire

Anyway, how old are your plug wires? Plugs? Change them out. While plugs are out, do a compression or even better a leakdown test on all cylinders. Next check injectors. Or you could check them first. Depending on your time/ money situation, You could pull the injectors and swap them left to right. See if the misfire moves to the other side
Wires are possibly original, Idk. Car has just over 17K miles. Plugs are fresh...changed them about 5 months ago (maybe 1K miles on them). While pulling plugs (started on the Drivers side with the issue), found the rear most (most pita one on that side) plug severely under gapped at like around.020 ish. Should be.035 if I'm correct. All others were at.035. Regapped it correctly...problem seems to have gone away. Running great again. Cautiously optimistic, we'll see. Thank you for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in