Gen II ProEFI Black Friday Sale - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Gen II ProEFI Black Friday Sale

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 24th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #1
Diamond Supporter

Viper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 points

Just saw this ad on Sound Performance's site:

http://www.spracingforum.com/forums/...=1882#post1882
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Enthusiast

doug934 is definately JV with 293 pointsdoug934 is definately JV with 293 pointsdoug934 is definately JV with 293 points
Sal, Can I use this in place of my AEM and maintain the obd II for inspection with out having to switch back to obd II, injectors, o2 sensors for inspection? Thanks, Doug. By the way, Happy Thanksgiving and congrats on your accomplishments with your Viper!

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Enthusiast

Doc1 is kissing alot of ass around here with 493 pointsDoc1 is kissing alot of ass around here with 493 pointsDoc1 is kissing alot of ass around here with 493 pointsDoc1 is kissing alot of ass around here with 493 pointsDoc1 is kissing alot of ass around here with 493 points
ProEFI no longer makes the PlugnPlay harness because they canít get the connectors from AEM or AEM canít get them or wonít sell them or something to that effect. My guys are working on an extra engine harness that I have in order to rewire 27+ extra wires to make it a plug and play. Itís a pain in the ass. ProEFI doesnít know when they can get the connectors in- maybe 6 months or more. Sorry for the bad news guys.

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Diamond Supporter

Viper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 pointsViper TT is not afraid of bears with 12673 points
Thanks Doug. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Next time I talk to Jason @ ProEFI, I'll ask him about the OBDII compatibility as I'm not sure about that aspect.

With the ProEFI, the factory ECU is retained for controlling the dash gauges and alternator so there is a possibility it can be made to pass an OBDII inspection.

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Diamond Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc1 View Post
ProEFI no longer makes the PlugnPlay harness because they canít get the connectors from AEM or AEM canít get them or wonít sell them or something to that effect. My guys are working on an extra engine harness that I have in order to rewire 27+ extra wires to make it a plug and play. Itís a pain in the ass. ProEFI doesnít know when they can get the connectors in- maybe 6 months or more. Sorry for the bad news guys.
I spoke to Jason yesterday and he said he is working on sourcing his own connectors and building the harness in-house. I'll let you know when I find more information.

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #6
Enthusiast

Doc1 is kissing alot of ass around here with 493 pointsDoc1 is kissing alot of ass around here with 493 pointsDoc1 is kissing alot of ass around here with 493 pointsDoc1 is kissing alot of ass around here with 493 pointsDoc1 is kissing alot of ass around here with 493 points
Sal, you're the man. Thanks for helping out the Viper community.

Old November 24th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Enthusiast

John Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 pointsJohn Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 pointsJohn Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 pointsJohn Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 pointsJohn Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 pointsJohn Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 points
Send a message via AIM to John Reed
It doesn't pertain to ProEFI as they don't sell the Viper stuff in pieces (or I would probably offer my own kit based on the ECU, or at least a harness), but I do have plenty of PNP looms in stock for various setups. I have remaining stock of the AEM patch harnesses and it is true those are out of production but once they are gone I will be rolling out my new PNP adapter which is going to be far superior to what I have been able to do using the OEM based bulkhead connector.

Old November 24th, 2011, 12:15 PM   #8
Diamond Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Reed View Post
It doesn't pertain to ProEFI as they don't sell the Viper stuff in pieces (or I would probably offer my own kit based on the ECU, or at least a harness), but I do have plenty of PNP looms in stock for various setups. I have remaining stock of the AEM patch harnesses and it is true those are out of production but once they are gone I will be rolling out my new PNP adapter which is going to be far superior to what I have been able to do using the OEM based bulkhead connector.
Is the AEM patch harness the one that is approximately 8-10" long with all blue colored wires?

Old November 24th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #9
Enthusiast

John Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 pointsJohn Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 pointsJohn Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 pointsJohn Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 pointsJohn Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 pointsJohn Reed hangs with the Hiddens with 679 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper TT View Post
Is the AEM patch harness the one that is approximately 8-10" long with all blue colored wires?
Yes that is the one that is now out of production. I have a few left I have been using up on some PNP kits, but after that I will be rolling out my new custom connector which forms the basis for the new Viper PNP looms coming out (probably debut first with the new AEM Infinity-10 but also carry over to my current Pectel and MoTeC kits). Functionally it will be the same of course, but will just be much cleaner, gold plated pins, no splices onto the middle of a patch harness, no soldering wires onto pins not designed for wires, etc.

I could have gotten the OEM connectors with a huge buy in, but what at first seemed like a very bad thing (losing the supply of patch harnesses/connectors) instead forced me to come up with something that will be a lot better (and no more supply issues). Good old silver lining I suppose!

Congrats on your recent 1/8th mile hit (I assume recent anyway). Car is moving out!

Old November 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Diamond Supporter

Quote:
Yes that is the one that is now out of production. I have a few left I have been using up on some PNP kits, but after that I will be rolling out my new custom connector which forms the basis for the new Viper PNP looms coming out (probably debut first with the new AEM Infinity-10 but also carry over to my current Pectel and MoTeC kits). Functionally it will be the same of course, but will just be much cleaner, gold plated pins, no splices onto the middle of a patch harness, no soldering wires onto pins not designed for wires, etc.

I could have gotten the OEM connectors with a huge buy in, but what at first seemed like a very bad thing (losing the supply of patch harnesses/connectors) instead forced me to come up with something that will be a lot better (and no more supply issues). Good old silver lining I suppose!

Congrats on your recent 1/8th mile hit (I assume recent anyway). Car is moving out!
Thanks. The 1/8 mile run was last month and the partial 1/4 run was last Sunday.

That is great to know you are working on a solution. I like your idea of eliminating the splicing in the patch harness. That will make for a much cleaner installation.

I haven't heard about the AEM Infinity-10. I will check AEM's website for specs.

Old November 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #11

boomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 points
Quote:
hn

John what do you offer for a gen 4 controller? I'm sick of the issues with the venom controller going into limp mode every time I drag race it?

Old November 24th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #12

rwhp hangs with the Hiddens with 550 pointsrwhp hangs with the Hiddens with 550 pointsrwhp hangs with the Hiddens with 550 pointsrwhp hangs with the Hiddens with 550 pointsrwhp hangs with the Hiddens with 550 pointsrwhp hangs with the Hiddens with 550 points
Sal,

Since I know you just spent money on the Pro EFI box it would probably be better for your pocket book if you didn't look at the infinity 10. Comparing that unit to anything on the market today is like comparing a Vec 1 to a Motec.

There are going to be some amazing products becoming available to anyone that runs that unit, the possibilities are stellar and its going to cost the same as the old Viper AEM unit and maybe cheaper.

Old November 25th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
John what do you offer for a gen 4 controller? I'm sick of the issues with the venom controller going into limp mode every time I drag race it?

Currently I have Pectel and MoTeC kits for the Gen4, both highly capable but also not cheap.

The Gen4 platform will be one of the first I release in PNP format with the new AEM Infinity-10 and that kit is going to be roughly the cost of current Gen3 packages (or about half of my cheapest option above).

I guess it all depends on how soon you want something!

Are we ever going to tune some cars?

Old November 25th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #14

boomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 pointsboomer is not afraid of bears with 7906 points
Quote:
Currently I have Pectel and MoTeC kits for the Gen4, both highly capable but also not cheap.

The Gen4 platform will be one of the first I release in PNP format with the new AEM Infinity-10 and that kit is going to be roughly the cost of current Gen3 packages (or about half of my cheapest option above).

I guess it all depends on how soon you want something!

Are we ever going to tune some cars?
put me down for the new AEM when you get it. as soon as thats ready, i need a gen 2, Gen 3 and a gen 4 tuned. ---and a challenger srt8 if you can do a Diablosport!
im ready as soon as you are.

Old November 25th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #15
Diamond Supporter

Viper4Christ is not afraid of bears with 45806 pointsViper4Christ is not afraid of bears with 45806 pointsViper4Christ is not afraid of bears with 45806 pointsViper4Christ is not afraid of bears with 45806 pointsViper4Christ is not afraid of bears with 45806 pointsViper4Christ is not afraid of bears with 45806 pointsViper4Christ is not afraid of bears with 45806 pointsViper4Christ is not afraid of bears with 45806 pointsViper4Christ is not afraid of bears with 45806 pointsViper4Christ is not afraid of bears with 45806 pointsViper4Christ is not afraid of bears with 45806 points
Great thread with lots of good info. $4200 for the Pro128 unit with the fuel kit or CAN display is quite the deal err steal I should say.

It's also nice to finally see a solid and expanding tuning option to bridge the gap between choosing either Motec or AEM.

Old November 27th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #16

BigBadViper is not afraid of bears with 6488 pointsBigBadViper is not afraid of bears with 6488 pointsBigBadViper is not afraid of bears with 6488 pointsBigBadViper is not afraid of bears with 6488 pointsBigBadViper is not afraid of bears with 6488 pointsBigBadViper is not afraid of bears with 6488 pointsBigBadViper is not afraid of bears with 6488 pointsBigBadViper is not afraid of bears with 6488 pointsBigBadViper is not afraid of bears with 6488 pointsBigBadViper is not afraid of bears with 6488 pointsBigBadViper is not afraid of bears with 6488 points
What would be the advantages of running the new AEM over and older AEM? Should I upgrade or just stay where I am at?

Old November 27th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #17
n00b

turbo viper is unremarkable with 10 points
Hi its Carl from England. My AEM equipped Gen TT car has been in storage for a couple of years. One of our viper tech guys was telling me of issues with the early AEM controllers. Can you offer any input please?

Carl

Old November 27th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #18
IRS > YOU

Mr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 pointsMr. Hollywood is not afraid of bears with 25952 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadViper View Post
What would be the advantages of running the new AEM over and older AEM? Should I upgrade or just stay where I am at?
I'm curious to know this, and if the newest AEM Infinity can compete with a Pectal.

Old November 27th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #19
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadViper
Well this may be a bit confusing as there are two new AEM products right now as it pertains to Vipers. The first is the V2 AEM EMS PNP kit available through RSI, which brings a few improvements to the table (better hardware, better software, better logging) but was not really developed to be a huge "feature" upgrade over the V1 AEM as much as it was to fill a gap left by the discontinuation of the AEM V1.

The second product that is in development are kits based around the new AEM Infinity-10 platform, which is a revolutionary new piece of hardware. This will bring a ton of new features to the table, including but not limited to: speed based traction control, flex fuel, lots of different boost control strategies, safety strategies, fast communications, tiny weather resistant packaging and insane flexibility. This is still in the very early stages of development/testing so don't expect anything to be released till early 2012.

To upgrade or not, depends on if you are having issues currently (and may just want improved hardware via V2 kit), or are wanting some new features that your AEM V1 doesn't have (waiting for Infinity-10 might be a good idea).

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo viper
Hi its Carl from England. My AEM equipped Gen TT car has been in storage for a couple of years. One of our viper tech guys was telling me of issues with the early AEM controllers. Can you offer any input please?

Carl
There have been some issues with certain AEM 1500U box on the Viper. Some of it can be related to grounding (basically the grounding circuitry that normally goes to the stock Dodge PCM may not be sufficient for the AEM when using a lot of extra accessories), and then as well to some poor quality control/manufacturing issues that have since been corrected. The only thing you can really do is get the car out, drive it/evaluate it and make sure it all is running top notch (preferably in the hands of a good tuner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hollywood View Post
I'm curious to know this, and if the newest AEM Infinity can compete with a Pectal.
That is a question I cannot answer till I get a lot of testing in with the Infinity-10, but so far on paper and in early testing it looks extremely promising. The Pectel is an impressive piece of hardware/software, which integrates with the Viper VERY well. If the AEM Infinity-10 measures up to that, and is about half the cost, then I think we will have a winner on our hands.

Old November 28th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #20

Final GTS is not afraid of bears with 8163 pointsFinal GTS is not afraid of bears with 8163 pointsFinal GTS is not afraid of bears with 8163 pointsFinal GTS is not afraid of bears with 8163 pointsFinal GTS is not afraid of bears with 8163 pointsFinal GTS is not afraid of bears with 8163 pointsFinal GTS is not afraid of bears with 8163 pointsFinal GTS is not afraid of bears with 8163 pointsFinal GTS is not afraid of bears with 8163 pointsFinal GTS is not afraid of bears with 8163 pointsFinal GTS is not afraid of bears with 8163 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hollywood View Post
Honestly I have to concur with John above. On the Spec Sheet, the Infinity-10 looks to be one hell of a controller. However, everyone also needs to understand that specifications don't always tell the whole story. It needs to have the support, software, quality, and integration capabilities to back it all up, or it is just the automotive equivalent of the worlds fastest personal computer....... running on dial-up.

Processing speed also doesn't tell the whole story, which is one item they are pushing on it. Example: Look at the speed of a Windows based PC compared to an Apple PC. If they are running similar processor speeds, a Mac is considerably faster. The same can go for engine controllers. If they are running a bloated operating system, processor speed compared to another type of module and software is not really apples to apples. On the same note, look at our own archaic JTEC controllers. Other than logging, do you notice ANY perceivable lag when driving? NO. And those are quite slow by comparison to pretty much anything else available these days. Logging is really what eats up all of the processing power, which does not have an effect on how your car will run. Don't fall into the trap thinking that it will run "better" because of something like "processing power". MoTeC runs a processor about 1/6th the speed of the Infinity, and Pectel runs a processor about 1/3rd the speed. I can't think of a time when I ever felt a need for a faster processor in either. It is the logging aspect that needs the processing power, not the engine controlling.

The logging features on the infinity do certainly look to be world-class. Assuming the analysis software matches, it would be about on par with the upper-end logging systems that can be integrated into Pectel/Motec, but it would be on-board.

In the end, even if it does prove to be a very nice and reliable, well rounded system with software capabilities on par with other systems, it still comes down to personal preference and the intended use of the car.

The strong suites of Pectel & Motec is their advanced support network and race-derived strategies including Limp Modes, Security, Engine Logs & time-based controls, the integration into other systems such as logging systems, power control systems, telemetry, GPS, Tire Monitors, aerodynamic controls and sensor systems, chassis sensor and data analysis, and above all, class-leading quality. It is unlikely that an AEM product would offer these types of things, since its just not their niche. If any of those are important to you, then your decision is already made. I am also noticing that the Infinity does not appear to have Thermocouple support {directly at least}, PWM and configurable output support, nor internal coil drivers. Also, if you have a V12 application, you still would be looking at Pectel or an expanded Motec.

Personally, it would take a lot. I mean a LOT to pull me away from Pectel on anything that I build. However, that doesn't change the fact that regardless, the ante of affordable engine control solutions just got upped!

Last edited by Final GTS; November 28th, 2011 at 03:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in