How much does it cost to fix a cracked hood? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

How much does it cost to fix a cracked hood?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old March 26th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #1

Viper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 points

I have several cracks on my hood and I want to get them repaired before they get worse. What can i expect to pay to get them fixed and repainted by a professional body shop?

I don't see a good way to "blend" in the paint on the hood since they are in different areas. I think the only way to fix it right would be to paint the entire hood? Someone has already tried to "blend" in some scratch marks and it looks like crap. Here are my major areas of concern.

http://i41.tinypic.com/j8jgw9.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/jg07x1.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2vhwruw.jpg

What do you think it would cost to get this repaired and repainted? Thanks

And here is a picture of where someone already tried to "touch up" the paint by blending it in.

http://i43.tinypic.com/nfpo53.jpg
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2010, 12:47 AM   #2

mjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 3834 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 3834 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 3834 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 3834 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 3834 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 3834 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 3834 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 3834 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 3834 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 3834 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 3834 points
To repair and refinish the entire hood you are looking at 6-8 hours for the strip and repair then about $700 ish to paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper J from OK View Post
I have several cracks on my hood and I want to get them repaired before they get worse. What can i expect to pay to get them fixed and repainted by a professional body shop?

I don't see a good way to "blend" in the paint on the hood since they are in different areas. I think the only way to fix it right would be to paint the entire hood? Someone has already tried to "blend" in some scratch marks and it looks like crap. Here are my major areas of concern.

http://i41.tinypic.com/j8jgw9.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/jg07x1.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2vhwruw.jpg

And here is a picture of where someone already tried to "touch up" the paint by blending it in.

Old March 26th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #3

Viper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 points
Thanks for the reply! There are actually a few more spots that will take a little more time to fix. There is another crack on the drivers side, and then by the hood latch at the bottom, the paint is a little wavy. I bet it would take a body shop about 2 days to fix and strip the paint?

$700 for paint sounds cheap since red is the most expensive color?

Old March 26th, 2010, 03:20 AM   #4

jasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 points
Send a message via AIM to jasontiff Send a message via MSN to jasontiff

Old March 26th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #5

SNKEBIT is not afraid of bears with 21444 pointsSNKEBIT is not afraid of bears with 21444 pointsSNKEBIT is not afraid of bears with 21444 pointsSNKEBIT is not afraid of bears with 21444 pointsSNKEBIT is not afraid of bears with 21444 pointsSNKEBIT is not afraid of bears with 21444 pointsSNKEBIT is not afraid of bears with 21444 pointsSNKEBIT is not afraid of bears with 21444 pointsSNKEBIT is not afraid of bears with 21444 pointsSNKEBIT is not afraid of bears with 21444 pointsSNKEBIT is not afraid of bears with 21444 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper J from OK View Post
Thanks for the reply! There are actually a few more spots that will take a little more time to fix. There is another crack on the drivers side, and then by the hood latch at the bottom, the paint is a little wavy. I bet it would take a body shop about 2 days to fix and strip the paint?

$700 for paint sounds cheap since red is the most expensive color?
I would say a little more than that. Some of those cracks are really deep. You cannot stop that from happening again if you don't dig them alll the way out. Had that problem on my hood. It's alot of work, ask the wifey. Plus, you can't use plain old fiberglass to fix it. You need to use a SMC type of filler that is more expensive. If you don't, the regular fiberglass shrinks and expands at a different rate than the SMC. Learned that the hard way...................................

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #6

dansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNKEBIT View Post
I would say a little more than that. Some of those cracks are really deep. You cannot stop that from happening again if you don't dig them alll the way out. Had that problem on my hood. It's alot of work, ask the wifey. Plus, you can't use plain old fiberglass to fix it. You need to use a SMC type of filler that is more expensive. If you don't, the regular fiberglass shrinks and expands at a different rate than the SMC. Learned that the hard way...................................
it also wont adhere... becareful as the year matters, some hoods (early gen 1's) are RTM not SMC, and I would bet the materials are not compatable. the last Gen 1 hood I fixed that had two large cracks I did for $500, grinding out the cracks, drilling the ends so they dont spread, using mat to reinforce, fill, paint then sand and buff. I didnt strip the entire hood as that is not necessary. The customer bought the hood emblems and I put them on. Maybe I need to charge more

Old March 26th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies! I was told it would cost around $300-$500 total to do the job, but that sounded way to low, so thanks for everyone's imput!

There are a few small scratches and chips on the hood, and most shops would just repaint the whole thing instead of spotting it. These are deeps cracks and I want this fixed right the first time! This will be paid for out of pocket so I want to make sure I don't get more than I expected when I get the bill!

If anyone else has had a shop repair there hood, please speak up! Thanks!

Here is another crack on the hood.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2z4zqet.jpg

Old March 28th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #8

Sorry I forgot to add, it's a 2000 GTS.

Old March 31st, 2010, 11:46 AM   #9

dansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 points
2000 is SMC, grind them out in a V pattern, then drill the ends use evercoat SMC repair filler, I use a skim coat with a little mat, then a top coat, feather sand and prime. The gen2 hoods usually dont crack, it may have been because it was not closed properly. The gen 1 hoods are the ones that had a problem cracking.

Old March 31st, 2010, 11:56 AM   #10

kanadianpride is not afraid of bears with 22223 pointskanadianpride is not afraid of bears with 22223 pointskanadianpride is not afraid of bears with 22223 pointskanadianpride is not afraid of bears with 22223 pointskanadianpride is not afraid of bears with 22223 pointskanadianpride is not afraid of bears with 22223 pointskanadianpride is not afraid of bears with 22223 pointskanadianpride is not afraid of bears with 22223 pointskanadianpride is not afraid of bears with 22223 pointskanadianpride is not afraid of bears with 22223 pointskanadianpride is not afraid of bears with 22223 points
check your pm's

Old March 31st, 2010, 10:11 PM   #11

Location: Viper #4 is a red Coupe! (Allentown, PA, USA, Earth)
Denny Wagner is not afraid of bears with 32616 pointsDenny Wagner is not afraid of bears with 32616 pointsDenny Wagner is not afraid of bears with 32616 pointsDenny Wagner is not afraid of bears with 32616 pointsDenny Wagner is not afraid of bears with 32616 pointsDenny Wagner is not afraid of bears with 32616 pointsDenny Wagner is not afraid of bears with 32616 pointsDenny Wagner is not afraid of bears with 32616 pointsDenny Wagner is not afraid of bears with 32616 pointsDenny Wagner is not afraid of bears with 32616 pointsDenny Wagner is not afraid of bears with 32616 points
Hi...the post got a lot of good comments, SNKBIT and dansauto are both right on. Without personally inspecting the damage, I'd venture to say $1000-1200 would be a good starting point.

However, don't look for ANY repair shop to guarantee the work on an SMC hood. Also, no matter what brand of paint they use...it will have to color-blended to adjacent panels for an accurate match. I haven't seen one match yet right out of the can!!

$500 won't even pay to repair the cracks...much less refinish it to pre-loss condition!!

Good luck Bro...Denny

Why does a man wearing a helmet defending his county make less pay than a man wearing a helmet defending a football????

"To err is Human...to arrr is Pirate"

"Non nobis gratum anus rodentum "

VIPER ALLEY Class of 2003: ValiDICKtorian

Hood repair
Old March 13th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #12
n00b

venom85 is unremarkable with 10 points
Hood repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansauto View Post
it also wont adhere... becareful as the year matters, some hoods (early gen 1's) are RTM not SMC, and I would bet the materials are not compatable. the last Gen 1 hood I fixed that had two large cracks I did for $500, grinding out the cracks, drilling the ends so they dont spread, using mat to reinforce, fill, paint then sand and buff. I didnt strip the entire hood as that is not necessary. The customer bought the hood emblems and I put them on. Maybe I need to charge more
Hi, does anyone know what type of filler i would use on a 94 rt10? Also any sugestions on what type of glue is should use to glue a new understructure to the hood?

Thanks

Old March 13th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #13

plumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164854 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164854 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164854 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164854 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164854 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164854 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164854 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164854 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164854 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164854 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164854 points
i had a good size gouge in my hood (center of the hood) from something that hit me on the highway. to fix it and paint the hood was 1700. silver is a bitch to pint im told and maybe thats why it was slightly high ?

Old March 14th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #14
Enthusiast

Allen GTS is unremarkable with 40 points
1,000 TO 1,500
TO Refinish Hood Outside +Clear Coat Major Panel IS $675.00 with no body work!

Old April 1st, 2011, 11:43 PM   #15
Suspended

aloushi is a B-Teamer with 70 points
Quote:

here's pics of my damage, It is costing me a total of $5000 but that's including repairing and painting the bumper cover, sport cap and hardtop, the actual cost of the hood repair and paint is $3000 but will be done the right way and with warranty. Like others mentioned the SMS uses different method than fiber glass and requires more work, in my case a piece of previously and poorly repaired area has to be completely cut out and re-fabricated along with removing the wheel vents and naca duct, mine definitely needs more work than yours but I'd guess that yours should be a total of $1500-$2000...by the way it's hard to see in the pics but on my fender is where the original repair was made and in person it's ugly as hell, you can see it bubbling just like surface rust on metal cars, this is what happens when its filled with fiber glass and finished with bondo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	37036   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	567.1 KB
ID:	37037   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	639.8 KB
ID:	37038  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in