New member- Viper ownership expensive? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

New member- Viper ownership expensive?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #1
n00b

Hall1836 is unremarkable with 10 points

Looking to possibly purchase a 1999 Viper, I am concerned of the cost of maintence etc. Any particular problems associated with a low mile, ten year old car? Older person, no track days, looking for nice driver limited use. Hate to this on this site,BUT, how are maintance costs compard to a vette.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #2

No Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 points
I wouldn't worry about it. Vipers are very reliable and I wouldn't be concerned about cost of up keep. Don't forget to factor in the added cost of maintenance of your pride if you were driving a Vette.

Old November 14th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #3

BDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 pointsBDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 pointsBDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 pointsBDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 pointsBDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 pointsBDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 points
Cheap to maintain compared to others.

viper
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #4
n00b

Hall1836 is unremarkable with 10 points
viper

Can you get collector insurance for them, and what can I expect to pay(Long Island, NY) n regular insurance?

Old November 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Enthusiast

gtsjimbo is unremarkable with 30 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Man View Post
Don't forget to factor in the added cost of maintenance of your pride if you were driving a Vette.
my thought exactly!

Old November 14th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #6

overZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 points
ya, i've had a few highly modded vettes, and the viper kicks them right in the nuts. i feel eyes burning holes in me while driving the viper. and the whole corvette "wave" from other passing corvettes, you don't need to worry about in a viper. some prices are comparable, but it is a different world.
i have seen one other viper this year in the portland area. i have seen 4 vettes today, and i havn't even left the fucking house!!

Last edited by overZealous1; November 14th, 2009 at 04:42 PM. Reason: eye nede tou go tou skoul

Old November 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #7

ZexZo6 is The Man with 1543 pointsZexZo6 is The Man with 1543 pointsZexZo6 is The Man with 1543 pointsZexZo6 is The Man with 1543 pointsZexZo6 is The Man with 1543 pointsZexZo6 is The Man with 1543 pointsZexZo6 is The Man with 1543 pointsZexZo6 is The Man with 1543 pointsZexZo6 is The Man with 1543 pointsZexZo6 is The Man with 1543 pointsZexZo6 is The Man with 1543 points
Keeping it stock the upkeep is nothing to worry about; I have a 99 and love this car because unlike a Ferrari or Lamborghini it is a car that has parts that are affordable and more common if they go out. To upgrade parts might cost a little bit more but you have to be ready to pay to play. The car is also more raw than other cars and is easier to work on.

Old November 18th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #8
Enthusiast

DaveWJunior is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsDaveWJunior is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsDaveWJunior is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsDaveWJunior is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsDaveWJunior is definately a better person than you are with 440 points
A stock Viper is basically bulletproof (even the mod Vipers are reliable, but tend to be driven a little harder, I'd imagine). I have a 94 and have only had a few maintenance items hit me.
Steering rack: $800 installed (when I moved to Maryland, it wouldn't pass inspection because of a small leak, otherwise I would have left it in).
Transmission reverse gear and synchro at 50Kmi: $2700, but I had the clutch/bearing/slave cylinder and some other little items replaced while they were in there. The car kept popping out of reverse so I had to hold the shifter there. Reverse gear was stripped badly.

Tires, figure between $1500 and $2200 a set. They can't be rotated and, for some reason, the tend to spin a lot so you won't be getting 40-60K on them like your Corolla.
Oil: about 9 quarts of synthetic each change.

Like someone said above. You pay to play. A used Viper is probably the best bang-for-your-buck out there and pretty much the only "supercar" you're going to get into for under $50K. You feel like a rockstar when you're driving it. I don't think I've ever filled the tank (which you have to do a lot, by the way) without someone coming up to me to talk about the car. I've been pulled over numerous times and given a "verbal warning" because the cop just wanted to check out the car. Buy it. You won't regret it.
If you want to talk about high maintenance costs, come join me over at the Ferrari owners forum.

Old November 18th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #9

BDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 pointsBDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 pointsBDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 pointsBDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 pointsBDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 pointsBDFC hangs with the Hiddens with 590 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall1836 View Post
Can you get collector insurance for them, and what can I expect to pay(Long Island, NY) n regular insurance?
You can do a stated value policy with several good companies. My cars are all with Hagerty. Don't take offense to this but chances are, if you are concerned over the cost to insure one of these and the their potential maintenance, you might not be ready to own one. If you're that concerned though, grab a VIN off one and give it to your agent for an exact quote. Long Island isn't bad but I wouldn't ever drive my cars into the city. Taxi drivers bounce off everything and the parking lots issue door dings like they're part of the service they offer.

Old November 18th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #10

dirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11387 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11387 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11387 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11387 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11387 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11387 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11387 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11387 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11387 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11387 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11387 points
The cost is pretty low (in my opinion).

Parts are domestic, you can get them pretty quick. Some cases it's an autozone run.

You can strip the vehicle apart fairly quickly, plenty of room to work and get at components. Most basic operations can be done in just a couple hrs or less(ie clutch). I do nearly everything myself, it's by far the easiest car I've owned to work on.

Insurance for me was lower cost than a vette - apparently statistics back then indicated a higher percentage of vettes crashed than vipers in my age group.

I've beat the piss out of my viper since day 1. In the stock configuration it's never left me stranded. I'm amazed how reliable it is at the track and street.

If you get bored and start adding a couple hundred ft. lbs/tq aftermarket is when you start discovering the weak links.

Old November 21st, 2009, 11:54 PM   #11

NEVERSATISFIED is a B-Teamer with 110 pointsNEVERSATISFIED is a B-Teamer with 110 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWJunior View Post
A stock Viper is basically bulletproof (even the mod Vipers are reliable, but tend to be driven a little harder, I'd imagine). I have a 94 and have only had a few maintenance items hit me.
Steering rack: $800 installed (when I moved to Maryland, it wouldn't pass inspection because of a small leak, otherwise I would have left it in).
Transmission reverse gear and synchro at 50Kmi: $2700, but I had the clutch/bearing/slave cylinder and some other little items replaced while they were in there. The car kept popping out of reverse so I had to hold the shifter there. Reverse gear was stripped badly.

Tires, figure between $1500 and $2200 a set. They can't be rotated and, for some reason, the tend to spin a lot so you won't be getting 40-60K on them like your Corolla.
Oil: about 9 quarts of synthetic each change.

Like someone said above. You pay to play. A used Viper is probably the best bang-for-your-buck out there and pretty much the only "supercar" you're going to get into for under $50K. You feel like a rockstar when you're driving it. I don't think I've ever filled the tank (which you have to do a lot, by the way) without someone coming up to me to talk about the car. I've been pulled over numerous times and given a "verbal warning" because the cop just wanted to check out the car. Buy it. You won't regret it.
If you want to talk about high maintenance costs, come join me over at the Ferrari owners forum.
This is really great info! Thanks

Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:22 AM   #12
Enthusiast

snk btn 2 hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointssnk btn 2 hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointssnk btn 2 hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointssnk btn 2 hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointssnk btn 2 hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointssnk btn 2 hangs with the Hiddens with 570 points
I've had mine for a month now, aside from an increase in water bill ( because I've been cleaning the car a lot). The only upkeep I've had to do so far is the upkeep the fuel gauge in full.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:22 PM   #13
n00b

h4281776 is unremarkable with 40 points
Also a new viper owner here (gen 1). I just bought the car in september and love it. I plan to do all the basic service work myself but i noticed it needs an alignment. Where and how do i go about that? should i look for a SRT certified dealer? or a local speed shop?

Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:46 PM   #14

overZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 pointsoverZealous1 is not afraid of bears with 5608 points
^ a good local alignment shop should be able to do it fine. just go to a trustworthy place.

i have had mine a month now also. upon every performance car purchase, i like to strip it down first and inspect everything so i can feel confident beating the piss out of it and know i am driving a solid car. mine had 60k on it and was raced alot, so my list of parts has been fairily extensive. but i am a perfectionist also.
some parts are expensive like body panels. but most mechanical parts are shared by other dodge vehicles and can be surprisingly cheap.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM   #15

ROLLMODEL made Varsity with 1070 pointsROLLMODEL made Varsity with 1070 pointsROLLMODEL made Varsity with 1070 pointsROLLMODEL made Varsity with 1070 pointsROLLMODEL made Varsity with 1070 pointsROLLMODEL made Varsity with 1070 pointsROLLMODEL made Varsity with 1070 pointsROLLMODEL made Varsity with 1070 points
The only real costs above the average costs of owning a Taurus are the oil changes (as mentioned before, 9 quarts required), the tires (as little as 1,200 or as much as 2,200 depending on who you buy from and what kind they are), batteries (this care likes to eat them a lot.....keep it on a tender if you're not driving it), and body panels are not cheap if you fuck up while you're showing off to your friends.

Other than that if you take care of it regularly, its not a very expensive car (for what it is) to keep and maintain.

Old November 24th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #16

thaimonkee is kissing alot of ass around here with 490 pointsthaimonkee is kissing alot of ass around here with 490 pointsthaimonkee is kissing alot of ass around here with 490 pointsthaimonkee is kissing alot of ass around here with 490 pointsthaimonkee is kissing alot of ass around here with 490 points
full coverage for me is only alittle over $100 a month. Im 28 years old with not the greatest driving record.

Old November 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #17

White Out made Varsity with 1182 pointsWhite Out made Varsity with 1182 pointsWhite Out made Varsity with 1182 pointsWhite Out made Varsity with 1182 pointsWhite Out made Varsity with 1182 pointsWhite Out made Varsity with 1182 pointsWhite Out made Varsity with 1182 pointsWhite Out made Varsity with 1182 pointsWhite Out made Varsity with 1182 points
Only increase from a highly modified STi to a lightly modded ACR was having to buy more oil.

Nick

Old December 29th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #18
n00b

hare1517 is unremarkable with 30 points
insurance on mine is 450 a month i live in MD

Old December 29th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #19

-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by hare1517 View Post
What tha? What year? Is it insured as a pleasure car?

Old December 30th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #20

sinticket is unremarkable with 20 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by hare1517 View Post

WTF I pay 765.00/year in NC ....I am 33 years old... Viper is a 2000 GTS ACR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in