Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Viper Discussions - Gen I & II (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Question for guys with chrome wheels... (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78476)

jasontiff September 5th, 2009 11:21 PM

Question for guys with chrome wheels...

Is your entire wheel chromed or is it just the face? If it's the entire thing do you have trouble with the finish peeling where the tire meets the metal? I'm going to have a set of 18" OEM wheels on the way next week and I'm debating on whether or not to have them make a detour to a chrome shop on the way. I'm not a big fan of chrome but you can't argue with how easy it is to keep clean, and the stock finish is notorious for scratching even when you take care of it. Thanks in advance!

Ricketts September 5th, 2009 11:26 PM

My iforged are chrome face/chrome lip, the back barrel is standard aluminum though.

jasontiff September 5th, 2009 11:36 PM

Fuckola...is it possible to get just the face of my wheel chromed? Is that what Cali Chrome does, or do they just plate the whole motherfucker? I know it's easier with a 3-piece wheel but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks for the quick reply!

99RT10&GTS September 6th, 2009 09:39 AM

No, If you had sent off a set, they should chrome the whole rim. They will only polish the out face to a high shine, but leave the rest in a rough chrome look. Mine were done by Calchrome. Now if it's teh face of the rim you only want chromed(not really sure why), you could ask them for it.

G-Man September 6th, 2009 11:57 AM

Hey Jason,

I just just had John from Cal-Chrome finish a set of "19 CCW SP600's in full chrome (Face & barrel) makes a huge difference on cleaning & appearance!! Do it, You wont be disappointed.

Burt

isanti September 6th, 2009 12:39 PM

I thought Chroming was a dipping process so not sure how they would only do the face. Suppose they could dip the wheel half way in but idk... Just got back from the track in my 02 wheels, I tape the faces up to avoid scratching.

jasontiff September 6th, 2009 02:36 PM

I went to CalChrome's site last night before retiring and they have this down to a science. At $99/wheel (plus shipping, mounting and dismounting) you can't beat it. I think I'm gonna do that. Thanks for the input!

99RT10&GTS September 6th, 2009 04:03 PM

Make sure you got the right size on the rim. Last one cost me $175 plus shipping. Call to make sure on the price.

jasontiff September 6th, 2009 05:05 PM

Doh! I was going by their generic starting price on here:

California Chrome Wheel - Chrome Wheels for Jaguar, Land Rover, Lexus, Mercedes, and more

So, youz sayin' my wheels ain't 1-piece alloy!? :D

jasontiff September 9th, 2009 03:10 PM

For anyone interested, I just got off the phone with Rick from California Chrome:

18" Gen. II OEM Wheels
$150/wheel
$25/centercap
$37.50/wheel for dismounting/remounting tires and balancing

$850 plus shipping to get your 18" OEM wheels chromed out there.

Jamie September 9th, 2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Man (Post 1208669)
Hey Jason,

I just just had John from Cal-Chrome finish a set of "19 CCW SP600's in full chrome (Face & barrel) makes a huge difference on cleaning & appearance!! Do it, You wont be disappointed.

Burt

Can you post some pics? I would like to see that as I have the same wheels.

radta7 September 9th, 2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 1209750)
Can you post some pics? I would like to see that as I have the same wheels.

Here you go. I had mine done a few yrs ago. They just did the 19's on my daily driver too. Good quality! :D

Jamie September 9th, 2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radta7 (Post 1209762)
Here you go. I had mine done a few yrs ago. They just did the 19's on my daily driver too. Good quality! :D

Thanks, They look good! I should have been a little more clear, I want to see pics of the chrome SP600's.