Grinding at slow speeds - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Grinding at slow speeds

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Grinding at slow speeds
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Enthusiast

FlashFyre is a B-Teamer with 80 points
Grinding at slow speeds

When I was attempting a 3-point turn, I heard some grinding noise coming from the front end. It seemed to happen when the car was barely moving as I turned the wheel. Is this normal? The steering wheel would almost pulse a bit as well. When driving a bit faster, I would not hear the noise and the steering wheel was normal. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Enthusiast

Tom, F&L GoR is well liked with 197 pointsTom, F&L GoR is well liked with 197 points
Check your power steering fluid level. At low engine speeds the pump is at low RPM and the large steering angle is asking it to do a lot of work.

Old September 5th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom, F&L GoR View Post
Check your power steering fluid level. At low engine speeds the pump is at low RPM and the large steering angle is asking it to do a lot of work.
That sounds pretty plausible because the grinding only happens at low rpms, idle pretty much. Is there a trick to open the power steering fluid resevoir? Its pretty much sealed shut.

Old September 5th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #4
Enthusiast

Update:

The car is making a noise grinding noise from near the accessory belt. I had another Viper owner check it out, and he thinks its the power steering pulley. Anyone had a similar problem? And any idea how much this is gonna run ?

Last edited by FlashFyre; September 5th, 2009 at 11:39 PM.

Old September 6th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Enthusiast

Tom, F&L GoR is well liked with 197 pointsTom, F&L GoR is well liked with 197 points
Umm... the Gen 1/2 power steering fluid reservoir has a screw on cap with a plastic nipple pointing straight up; just ahead of the left rocker cover, just inside the left front wheel.

A pulley alone can't make noise; it is either the bearing of the pump or the pump itself.

The pump is a shared Dodge part (Jeep, I think) so the parts won't be expensive. Labor shouldn't be much either.

Old September 6th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom, F&L GoR View Post
Umm... the Gen 1/2 power steering fluid reservoir has a screw on cap with a plastic nipple pointing straight up; just ahead of the left rocker cover, just inside the left front wheel.

A pulley alone can't make noise; it is either the bearing of the pump or the pump itself.

The pump is a shared Dodge part (Jeep, I think) so the parts won't be expensive. Labor shouldn't be much either.

Yeah, lol, I am not having probs with finding the pump. Its just that the cap is seized on. No idea on how to get it open.

Yeah, I plan on getting someone to look at it next week. Just have to limp home (about 80 miles or so). I was reading about the pulley being a piece of plastic and prone to failure. So I guess I might as well change that out as well.

Thanks for the help.

Old September 9th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #7
Enthusiast

Update. On my way to the mechanic, all of a sudden I lost my power steering.

As soon, as I got the hood open, I found the problem. The plastic pulley on the power steering pump was wrecked. For those of you who havent switched over to the metal pulley I would advise to do so.

Last edited by FlashFyre; September 10th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in