How can you remove a Fuel Pump - Gen I without removing tank? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

How can you remove a Fuel Pump - Gen I without removing tank?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old January 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #1

-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points

I hear stories about accessing the fuel pump through panels or something? I need to swap my fuel pump but how do I access it. Also is there a particular brand I should go with? Thanks
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #2

plumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 points
914-763-3136 ask for chuck

Old January 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #3

phunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 points
ive always pulled the tank out thinking that was the only way. if that panel above the tank is actually removeable, please let me know so i can kill myself... because reinstalling the tank is a pain in the ass thanks to the filler neck.

Old January 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #4

dansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 pointsdansauto is The Man with 1771 points
THere is not way to remove the pump with out pulling the tank on a gen 1

Old January 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #5

GRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 points
You have to pull the tank through the back panel in the trunk.

Old January 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #6

-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
ive always pulled the tank out thinking that was the only way. if that panel above the tank is actually removeable, please let me know so i can kill myself... because reinstalling the tank is a pain in the ass thanks to the filler neck.
Phunk, thats what I assumed too. I think it's the only way, but I was just making sure. Would you care to PM me the best way to remove it? I have my car in the air and looking under there, well.... Where is the friggin tank anyway? It would appear the entire rear end would have to be removed to drop the tank. Any tips are appreciated. -FROG-

Old January 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #7

GRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 pointsGRCFORCE327 is not afraid of bears with 13239 points
Is my post invisible?Remove rear panel in trunk to access fuel tank.

Old January 19th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRCFORCE327 View Post
Is my post invisible?Remove rear panel in trunk to access fuel tank.

EDIT: - eh, I found it..... Thanks for your input. I'll mess with it later.

I thought you were screwing with me... I looked before because thats what I kinda heard. It's riveted in, so I guess I drill them out and re-rivit when finished? Details please.

Last edited by -FROG-; January 19th, 2008 at 04:13 PM.

Old January 19th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #9

phunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 pointsphunk is not afraid of bears with 9635 points
its actually really easy to take out, its just a nightmare to put back in. sometimes you get the filler neck in 2 min, sometimes it has taken me like 2 hours to get it back in.

here is how i do it. (pardon my shitty grammer and spelling and english)

order the rivets that hold the trunk panel in and order the rivets that hold the passenger side fender liners in. also pick up some black permatex silicone.

drill out the rivet on the trunk panel. try your best to remove the panel without cracking it anyway, its just shitty fiberglass. your probably gonna scratch the fuck out of it, but dont worry... just get a can of flat black spray can to touch it up after everything is all done... thats what it is painted with from the factory anyway. use some zipties or something of the sort to hold the wiring harness up and out of the way... this is a cumbersome job and you dont want anything dangling in your face getting you even more pissed off.

once the panel is out, undo the 2 large tank clamps at the bottom. you can jiggle the clamps around to pull them out if you want, but what i do is use a bungi cord to tie them both up and out of the way to the trunk latch. this works out well when installation time comes, cause you have to maintain a pulling pressure on the clamps to keep them from coming out when installnig the tank. if they come out at the last second, you get to remove the tank AGAIN and start over the installation.

with the clamps out of the way, open your gas filler. undo the 3 screws IIRC. You will need to remove the fender liners in the area as well, which will require more rivets for reinstallation. i believe there is a small clamp for a small hose on the filler neck that you have to remove, and then you can wrestle the neck out thru the fender.

go under the car and pull off the evap vacuum line near the fuel filter. i think its slightly higher IIRC. disconnect the fuel lines and pull out the filter cause you may as well replace it. slide the tank back until you can reach your hand in and disconnect the connectors on the top of the tank. you really should be as close to an empty tank as possible because its already a cumbersome as fuck job.

now you are free, pull out the tank. i dont remember anythign else holding it in.

Make sure that you are 100% comfortable with everything you did to the pump assembly, because you DO NOT want to do this again for the rest of your life.

installation is reverse process, just a lot more hassle cause the filler neck is very hard to get in. i always use a shit-ton of silicone spray on the filler neck and the grommet seal for the neck. dont clamp the tank back down until the neck is at laest slid in the tank.

REMEMBER, when you are going to reattach the clamps, MAINTAIN a pulling force on them. If you stop pulling on them, they will slide out of their mounts and then the tank has to come back out

Dont bother reinstalling the trunk panel right away. Run the car and sniff around for leaks first. You dont want to bother spending all the time sealing it and riveting it just to have to pull it out again the next day.

Last edited by phunk; January 19th, 2008 at 06:27 PM.

Old January 20th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunk View Post
its actually really easy to take out, its just a nightmare to put back in. sometimes you get the filler neck in 2 min, sometimes it has taken me like 2 hours to get it back in.

here is how i do it.......
Phunk, you have no idea how thankful I am you took the time to write this up! This is great and I can already feel your frustrations with this process, so I deffenitely know what to watch out for. Man, I really appreciate this! THANKS!!!!!

Old January 20th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #11

got one made Varsity with 1015 pointsgot one made Varsity with 1015 pointsgot one made Varsity with 1015 pointsgot one made Varsity with 1015 pointsgot one made Varsity with 1015 pointsgot one made Varsity with 1015 pointsgot one made Varsity with 1015 pointsgot one made Varsity with 1015 points
are you sure it's the pump? what are your symptoms? I picked a valve system to help my fuel pump out...and it did the trick...

Old January 21st, 2008, 07:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by got one View Post
are you sure it's the pump? what are your symptoms? I picked a valve system to help my fuel pump out...and it did the trick...
Here's the deal....

I hardly ever run my tank with less than 1/4 tank of gas. So when I get back from my weekend runarounds, it's virtually on empty. This is bad on the pump I would assume if done often and I do it all the time, not thinking about any harm.

So my car just stopped running while driving down the street one day. I rolled into a parking lot so safely because of my speed I was going and parked the car, Thank God. The motor turns over like normal but the car just won't start. I looked at everything under the hood, checked some of my wires under the hood and under the dash well. When I got the car home, I turned the key and never heard the fuel pump prime, so started looking into that. I checked the "schrader valve" on my fuel lines on top of the motor and it barely spit out a little fuel. I have messed with many hot rod mustangs and them 5.0's shoot out massive amounts of fuel from that valve, so this tells me, my mighty V-10 isn't getting fuel. With this in mind, I turned the key once more with the assumption, pressure should build build up in order to start the car. After turning the key and hearing nothing, I walked over to purge the fuel line once more and absolutely nothing came out.

I also found the Fuel pump relay and checked it out. It seemed to be ok with my test light and I swapped the relay out with another one to confirm. I think thats ok.

After I turn the key to the on position, I heard a high pitch whine when I crawled under the car and listened around a bit. You know that ultra high frequiency ring you hear from a TV sometimes when it's turned on... It sounds to be coming from the fuel tank area but it's REALLY hard to hear. I'm thinking that may be my fuel pump siezed up and oscillating somehow...

Anyhoo, from driving it around with hardley any gas in the tank ALL the friggin time, I think I fried my fuel pump.

Old October 3rd, 2019, 02:23 PM   #13
Enthusiast

zracin is unremarkable with 10 points
Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but did this end up being a fuel pump? Mine did the same thing. No fuel after it died driving. High pitch tv sound from the back...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in