For those wanting to quiet your exhaust… - Page 2 - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

For those wanting to quiet your exhaust…

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old April 1st, 2017, 10:37 AM   #21
Enthusiast

cfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 pointscfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 pointscfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 pointscfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 pointscfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 pointscfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 points
I know this is an old thread but I'm dealing with this issue, and instead of starting a new one I thought this would be better. I'm pretty much over the loud exhaust (I'm catless at this point too). Since having Steve Dryer build me a custom top and window package the exhaust note is unbearable, literally inside the car. I have to wear earplugs and I have seen more than one person hold there ears when I go by. I know some will call me a pussy and say that is what the car is for, but I think it is obnoxious and it embarrasses me when that happens. Plus I already look like a prick driving it and with the sound it removes all doubt that I am to most people unfortunately. So I have been thinking about these mufflers for a while, and now I see that some of you have installed them with good results. I was wondering if I could add 2 per side? I know they rob some power, not really worried about that as I don't track or beat the car, just enjoy driving it. I haven't seen where anyone has added more than 1, but I was talking to a performance shop that said they do that on occasion. Anyway any help would be appreciated. It looks like to me the original owner ran dual straightflows that are rusted out and rattling now, hell they might even be glasspacks not sure, but they are bad. Thanks for any help on these guys.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 1st, 2017, 10:56 AM   #22
Suspended

BlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 1453130 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 1453130 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 1453130 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 1453130 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 1453130 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 1453130 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 1453130 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 1453130 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 1453130 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 1453130 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 1453130 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
I know this is an old thread but I'm dealing with this issue, and instead of starting a new one I thought this would be better. I'm pretty much over the loud exhaust (I'm catless at this point too). Since having Steve Dryer build me a custom top and window package the exhaust note is unbearable, literally inside the car. I have to wear earplugs and I have seen more than one person hold there ears when I go by. I know some will call me a pussy and say that is what the car is for, but I think it is obnoxious and it embarrasses me when that happens. Plus I already look like a prick driving it and with the sound it removes all doubt that I am to most people unfortunately. So I have been thinking about these mufflers for a while, and now I see that some of you have installed them with good results. I was wondering if I could add 2 per side? I know they rob some power, not really worried about that as I don't track or beat the car, just enjoy driving it. I haven't seen where anyone has added more than 1, but I was talking to a performance shop that said they do that on occasion. Anyway any help would be appreciated. It looks like to me the original owner ran dual straightflows that are rusted out and rattling now, hell they might even be glasspacks not sure, but they are bad. Thanks for any help on these guys.

Pussy. That's what the car is for.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Old April 1st, 2017, 11:02 AM   #23
Enthusiast

cfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 pointscfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 pointscfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 pointscfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 pointscfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 pointscfiiman hangs with the Hiddens with 603 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake99 View Post
Pussy. That's what the car is for.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
No problem, now that is out of the way haha

Old April 1st, 2017, 11:33 AM   #24

trademarked is The Man with 2269 pointstrademarked is The Man with 2269 pointstrademarked is The Man with 2269 pointstrademarked is The Man with 2269 pointstrademarked is The Man with 2269 pointstrademarked is The Man with 2269 pointstrademarked is The Man with 2269 pointstrademarked is The Man with 2269 pointstrademarked is The Man with 2269 pointstrademarked is The Man with 2269 pointstrademarked is The Man with 2269 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperchad View Post
Geez simms....next thing you'll be sitting when you pee!!!! Are you guys kidding me??? The noise is half the fun.

Old April 1st, 2017, 11:39 AM   #25
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner

8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points
Tow it with your Prius?

Old April 1st, 2017, 12:20 PM   #26
Landscaping Professional

GTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 points
Why don't you just put some R.T. cats on it and leave the performance mufflers? Do you run side- or rear-exit exhaust?

Old April 1st, 2017, 04:10 PM   #27
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
Why don't you just put some R.T. cats on it and leave the performance mufflers? Do you run side- or rear-exit exhaust?
It is side exit.

Old April 1st, 2017, 08:19 PM   #28

tspargo is The Man with 1881 pointstspargo is The Man with 1881 pointstspargo is The Man with 1881 pointstspargo is The Man with 1881 pointstspargo is The Man with 1881 pointstspargo is The Man with 1881 pointstspargo is The Man with 1881 pointstspargo is The Man with 1881 pointstspargo is The Man with 1881 pointstspargo is The Man with 1881 pointstspargo is The Man with 1881 points
I put a set of Flowmaster Pro Series on mine and it helped a lot. With mufflers bigger is usually better, noise-wise. They helped particularly on the inside noise. You might not be able to fit these with a side exit though since then the mufflers need to be more forward where there's less room in the side-sills.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-13016100

Old April 2nd, 2017, 09:28 AM   #29
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspargo View Post
I put a set of Flowmaster Pro Series on mine and it helped a lot. With mufflers bigger is usually better, noise-wise. They helped particularly on the inside noise. You might not be able to fit these with a side exit though since then the mufflers need to be more forward where there's less room in the side-sills.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-13016100
Yeah, the problem is the space, that is why I'm looking at these and then I found this old thread. I'm going to try 1 per side and see what it sounds like I guess and then go to 2 per side if it is not enough. Was just hoping someone had run 2 of them in series per side but I guess I'll have to blaze a trail here lol. Honestly the inside of the car with the cab closed up is when it is unbearable and you have to wear the earplugs, I actually like the way the car sounds from the outside but it is too loud to not be considered obnoxious by neighbors, etc.

Old April 2nd, 2017, 12:15 PM   #30
Sexist

Chuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 points
I'm guessing you have a GenI? You're catless now, replaced with a straight pipe I presume? If so, definitely any muffler will quiet it down. Take a rocker off and take a pic.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:00 AM   #31

EllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 points
I have two per side on my GTS....into a CORSA out the back. BUT....I have not fired it up since the install since it was part of my new top end project that is months away from being complete. I did end up having to cut one 3" outlet/inltet off of each end and weld the cut ends together to get the fitment length right....looked real neat by the way. I also did the 3" V-Band connections on everything at the same time. Go big or go home.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:59 AM   #32
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT10 View Post
I'm guessing you have a GenI? You're catless now, replaced with a straight pipe I presume? If so, definitely any muffler will quiet it down. Take a rocker off and take a pic.
Yes, gen 1, catless (previous owner did all this) into what appears 2 cherry bomb style mufflers that are rusted out, yikes. Honestly it doesn't sound bad outside the car, mean as hell, but loud when I'm out it for other drivers etc., but inside with the top on, deafening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllowViper View Post
I have two per side on my GTS....into a CORSA out the back. BUT....I have not fired it up since the install since it was part of my new top end project that is months away from being complete. I did end up having to cut one 3" outlet/inltet off of each end and weld the cut ends together to get the fitment length right....looked real neat by the way. I also did the 3" V-Band connections on everything at the same time. Go big or go home.
This sounds really cool. So you are running 2 of the spiral flows into the corsa muffler? If so and you are not worried about too much hp being robbed I think I'd be ok with just 2 of the spiral flows then. I'm calling Moroso today, hopefully their tech support is halfway competent and we can discuss 2 vs 1, etc. Also you used band clamps then to put it all together, vs welding? I'd like to do this as well so I can pull off/on to adjust etc. Can you show me a picture? Thanks guys!

Old April 3rd, 2017, 11:04 AM   #33

EllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 11260 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
Yes, gen 1, catless (previous owner did all this) into what appears 2 cherry bomb style mufflers that are rusted out, yikes. Honestly it doesn't sound bad outside the car, mean as hell, but loud when I'm out it for other drivers etc., but inside with the top on, deafening.

This sounds really cool. So you are running 2 of the spiral flows into the corsa muffler? If so and you are not worried about too much hp being robbed I think I'd be ok with just 2 of the spiral flows then. I'm calling Moroso today, hopefully their tech support is halfway competent and we can discuss 2 vs 1, etc. Also you used band clamps then to put it all together, vs welding? I'd like to do this as well so I can pull off/on to adjust etc. Can you show me a picture? Thanks guys!
I can send a pic tonight. Email me at : [email protected] I have pics on my tablet that I can easily send via email. Heck...maybe I'll even post here if the file size isn't too big!!

Spiral X 2
Old April 3rd, 2017, 04:41 PM   #34

Spiral X 2

Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spiral flow 1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	133977   Click image for larger version

Name:	spiral flow 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	133985  

Old April 4th, 2017, 03:16 AM   #35
n00b

ViperTim is unremarkable with 10 points
Yeah, no.
I didn't buy a car with an 8 litre V10 because I wanted a quiet car.

Though what impressed me is the Corsa exhaust.
Even though it is screamingly loud, it's not obnoxious due to the fact that there's no drone.
With Windows closed, it's pretty quiet inside the car for what it is.
I can road trip it without headache, and my girlfriend doesn't complain one bit about the noise. Even she wants to road trip it.
But she did complain when she was driving our other car with the Windows open and I overtook her WOT.

Old April 4th, 2017, 06:51 AM   #36

I don't think any of us want to diminish the uniqueness of the odd firing V-10....but if the exhaust is not done right, you have done just that. Any backyard hack can cut cats and mufflers out and run basically nothing. THAT is some great engineering. If you look closely at the CORSA system (as I and many have), its actually an engineered piece and not just some replacement tubing, resonators, and glass-packs. You can build a CORSA surrogate that by outward appearances, looks the same dimensionally, but it is not...and does not sound the same. The same goes for any other exhaust "tricks" anyone does. It may look interesting, but functionally it plays little to no role, and can actually be detrimental to performance. The CORSA was designed to be used as a "Cat-back" system....aka engineered for the best that can be delivered from factory header, cats, and out the back. Modify any of those elements, you've marginalized the engineering behind the product. The BEST sound I get is with a high flow cat and the CORSA....but I can't run cats due to how my engine is set-up (long story)...but I still need the benefit of what a cat does with the CORSA system....and the way to get that benefit is with the spiral flows. To each his own, but I detest a V-10 engine that sounds like a broke-dick UPS truck. Been there, done that.

Old April 4th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #37
Sexist

Chuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 109752 points
The UPS truck sound is easily and cheaply eliminated by replacing the rear muffler with a H or X pipe. I wish I would have done that the day after I got my 98.

Old April 5th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #38
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllowViper View Post
Here ya go.
Great thanks! So the black pipes are the spiral flows, somehow I thought they would be longer than that. I think this is what I'm going to do, but what is the muffler behind them I see in your pic? I won't have that, just the 2 spiral flows, I'm wondering if I will need something else?

Old April 5th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #39

Behind the two spirals is the resonator from the CORSA. NOT a muffler, but a straight through resonator that has several slotted reliefs allowing flow to both the inner and outer sections of the resonator.

Old April 5th, 2017, 03:31 PM   #40

CWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 points
Here's what I came up with that worked surprisingly better than I thought it would...cut the noise from a catless corsa track gts in half and eliminated any and all drone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in