TT, SC, or track cars, any of you installed gauges in factory radio location? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

TT, SC, or track cars, any of you installed gauges in factory radio location?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #1

Alternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointsAlternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointsAlternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointsAlternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointsAlternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointsAlternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 points

Since I don't use the radio much, and I don't like the pillar dual gauge pod, I think this would be the best place to put some gauges (i.e. boost, wideband, etc.). There's a DIN plate that can house up to 3 gauges.

Sorry for the cross post, but not everybody lurks at the VCA forum.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 14th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #2

v10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternative View Post
Since I don't use the radio much, and I don't like the pillar dual gauge pod, I think this would be the best place to put some gauges (i.e. boost, wideband, etc.). There's a DIN plate that can house up to 3 gauges.

Sorry for the cross post, but not everybody lurks at the VCA forum.
I have seen some replace the gas temp and volt meters with more needed ones for their particuliar applications. I can see losing the battery gauge and possibly fuel but the temp and oil pressure are too important to me. Have you seen the steering wheel pod? Also the new redesigned pillar replacement pod is pretty nice looking I am told.

Old August 14th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #3

Alternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointsAlternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointsAlternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointsAlternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointsAlternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 pointsAlternative hangs with the Hiddens with 570 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by v10kingsnake View Post
I have seen some replace the gas temp and volt meters with more needed ones for their particuliar applications. I can see losing the battery gauge and possibly fuel but the temp and oil pressure are too important to me. Have you seen the steering wheel pod? Also the new redesigned pillar replacement pod is pretty nice looking I am told.
Sorry, I should have mentioned this on my post. The pillar and steering column pods are nice, but they're just too flashy for me. The Viper already attracts a whole lot of attention as is. At least the radio location is not easily seen from the outside.

Last edited by Alternative; August 14th, 2007 at 02:38 PM.

Old August 14th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #4

v10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 pointsv10kingsnake is not afraid of bears with 21170 points
Quote:
Sorry, I should have mentioned this on my post. The pillar and steering column pods are nice, but they're just too flashy for me. The Viper already attracts a whole lot of attention as is. At least the radio location is not easily seen from the outside.
never saw gauges mounted there for the viper before. A mustang YES, VIPER, NO.

Old August 14th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #5

viper tt/10 is well liked with 150 pointsviper tt/10 is well liked with 150 points
doing more upgrades to your car alan? i have a dual gauge pod with the sneaky pete viper logo and a steering column pod if you want to test how flashy they are. i can bring them to sin city first week of sept. when i come out.

Old August 14th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by v10kingsnake View Post
never saw gauges mounted there for the viper before. A mustang YES, VIPER, NO.
Surprising... as the factory stereo doesn't sound that great anyway. A Mustang stereo probably sounds better.

Last edited by Alternative; August 14th, 2007 at 07:02 PM.

Old August 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper tt/10 View Post
doing more upgrades to your car alan? i have a dual gauge pod with the sneaky pete viper logo and a steering column pod if you want to test how flashy they are. i can bring them to sin city first week of sept. when i come out.
Upgrades? Maybe...

Will be nice to see you and Todd (utahviper) again, good luck at the Silver State event. By the way, if you'll be in town early enough, you may want to participate in the Pinks All Out event on Sept. 8th.

Last edited by Alternative; August 14th, 2007 at 07:03 PM.

Old August 14th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #8
First Touch Was Too Much!

Back In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 points
I agree with you, never cared for mounting gauges on the A-pillar. However, it looks like I'm going to have to give in and do it. I would put them in the radio opening but I don't want to lose my radio.

I put three gauges in the radio opening in a little turbo 4-banger I used to race. It had a double DIN opening though.

I also replaced all the factory gauges. It was a bit of work but I was able to get them to fit and still retain all the dummy light functionality. It was a fun project.

Old August 14th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #9

viper tt/10 is well liked with 150 pointsviper tt/10 is well liked with 150 points
Quote:
Upgrades? Maybe...

Will be nice to see you and Todd (utahviper) again, good luck at the Silver State event. By the way, if you'll be in town early enough, you may want to participate in the Pinks All Out event on Sept. 8th.
heard the roster was already filled. will have to hook up with you when i get out there. are you entering? would be cool to see a viper compete competetively against some auto drag cars.

Old August 14th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper tt/10 View Post
heard the roster was already filled. will have to hook up with you when i get out there. are you entering? would be cool to see a viper compete competetively against some auto drag cars.
I doubt it, because I just registered. You need to go to the LVMS website, and click the "Pinks All Out" logo. It looks like you're buying seat tickets, but you're actually registering for the event. If you call the dragstrip (702-632-8213) line, that's the instructions the automated attendant will tell you.

If I don't get the car done in time, you can have my spot as long as you share 50% of the prize money.

BackInBlack - nice set up on your old 4 banger. Ditch the radio as I'm sure your Ipod sounds better. Or, just listen to the engine/exhaust notes.

Old August 14th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #11

AlleyCat is kissing alot of ass around here with 520 pointsAlleyCat is kissing alot of ass around here with 520 pointsAlleyCat is kissing alot of ass around here with 520 pointsAlleyCat is kissing alot of ass around here with 520 pointsAlleyCat is kissing alot of ass around here with 520 pointsAlleyCat is kissing alot of ass around here with 520 points
I'm a bit of a novice with vipers but it seems like gauges mounted that low would be hard to read if you were driving hard. Having some time in jet aircraft I know how much of an issue cockpit scan can be.

Old August 14th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #12
Enthusiast

MacManInfi is a B-Teamer with 50 points
Any DIN gauge pod should work as the Viper's radio is the standard size. Something like this should suit you:
eBay Motors: TRIPLE DIN RADIO GAUGE IN DASH POD 52mm 2 1/16 (item 250153456885 end time Aug-17-07 12:00:23 PDT)

Old August 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat View Post
I'm a bit of a novice with vipers but it seems like gauges mounted that low would be hard to read if you were driving hard. Having some time in jet aircraft I know how much of an issue cockpit scan can be.
No matter where you mount it, it will be difficult to read in a "safe" manner. For me, the additional gauges will be mainly for tuning. I know you can log the data, but it's nice to see it in real time when I want to.

MacManInfi - thanks for the link, but the way they made it (angled) it will require you to cut the factory front plate/panel to mount it neatly. I found one in flat plastic, and I should be able to mount it clean without cutting the factory piece.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in