confused? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

confused?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

confused?
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:02 AM   #1

snkbite97 is unremarkable with 10 points
confused?

After many months and countless hours spent reading and talking to several tuners, I am no closer to deciding which brand of supercharger to purchase.Thus,I am starting this thread to hear all of you're thoughts on which type you purchased and why.I keep hearing that the Roe has been problematic and has design flaws,such as runners that are too short for the back 2 cylinders.If this is true, then why does it appear that so many of you seem to have Roe s/c on your car?Is it because you installed them before learning of this problem or is it that this info I have received is false or inaccurate?
I am looking for safe, reliable power to stay 1 step ahead of the competition.I'm not looking for the maximum rwhp or trying to set any records at the strip.In fact, I probably will never go there, since after 1 pass they will kick me off the track.I'm just trying to represent the Viper community and put these pesky little ricers and mustang racers in their rightful place,my rear view mirror.And no I don't want to install a turbo,so PittFR and Viper4christmas don't chime in,unless it is to educate me on superchargers
Thanks to all who respond in advance. Scott
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: confused?
Old November 10th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #2

CHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 points

Twin turbos my friend. Dial 941-359-0900 and ask for Jason.

They have a system for every budget and performance need.

Do yourself a favor and ride in a SC car and then a TT car. You will never want a SC again.

Old November 10th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3

The Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 points

Here, I will do the same:

Twin turbos my friend. Dial 630-878-3907 and talk to Paolo.

He has a system for every budget and performance need.

Do yourself a favor and ride in a SC car and then a TT car. You will never want a SC again-- AGREED.

Old November 10th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Exhausted

Kenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 pointsKenny is not afraid of bears with 19040 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Formula Racer

Do yourself a favor and ride in a SC car and then a TT car. You will never want a SC again-- AGREED.
[image]http://www.autoreversediscos.com/wordpress/wp-content/asskisser.jpg[/image]

Old November 10th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #5

KingViper is definately a better person than you are with 420 pointsKingViper is definately a better person than you are with 420 pointsKingViper is definately a better person than you are with 420 pointsKingViper is definately a better person than you are with 420 pointsKingViper is definately a better person than you are with 420 points

I have never had a problem with my Roe blower on my 96 R/T. For the best bang for the buck, the Roe blower is the way to go. It has great TQ numbers and HP numbers are pretty good.

Check you PM.

Old November 10th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #6

Simms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Formula Racer

No doubt TT cars are the top of the food chain, but what SC car where you ever in that you truely felt what one was about?

Old November 10th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #7

RedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 pointsRedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 pointsRedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 pointsRedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 points

I think what you've been told is greatly exaggerated. There was an issue early on with the Roe blower intake in which the airflow wasn't as good into the rear cylinders, which caused some people to foul plugs in those cylinders, etc. My recollection is that Sean modified the intake after the first batch of blowers went out to correct the problem, and I don't think it's been an issue since then. For a basic DIY system for the purposes you described the Roe setup is the way to go IMO (I had the 9th system Sean sold, then had a higher hp Heffner Paxton setup, and currently have Heffner twin-turbos). I share the feeling expressed above that once you've had turbos you'll never go back, but I don't think you're going to get into any turbo system for the price of the Roe system.

Old November 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #8

Simms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by snkbite97
After many months and countless hours spent reading and talking to several tuners, I am no closer to deciding which brand of supercharger to purchase.Thus,I am starting this thread to hear all of you're thoughts on which type you purchased and why.I keep hearing that the Roe has been problematic and has design flaws,such as runners that are too short for the back 2 cylinders.If this is true, then why does it appear that so many of you seem to have Roe s/c on your car?Is it because you installed them before learning of this problem or is it that this info I have received is false or inaccurate?
I am looking for safe, reliable power to stay 1 step ahead of the competition.I'm not looking for the maximum rwhp or trying to set any records at the strip.In fact, I probably will never go there, since after 1 pass they will kick me off the track.I'm just trying to represent the Viper community and put these pesky little ricers and mustang racers in their rightful place,my rear view mirror.And no I don't want to install a turbo,so PittFR and Viper4christmas don't chime in,unless it is to educate me on superchargers
Thanks to all who respond in advance. Scott
Here is my opinion fwiw.

Obviously a TT is the cat's ass. But if you want to go the SC route, ask yourself how much hp you want and if you ever want to use nitrous.

I think the Roe is a great supercharger, especially for the price. And I would pick it over the BASIC Paxton kit any day. HOWEVER, if you want 800-1000hp out of a supercharger alone, a Paxton setup by your favorite tuner is the route to go. This can be accomplished with a Roe also if you want to add some nitrous, and maybe some better flowing heads. As always, budget is a concern too.

If you want a torquey 650-750hp, go with a Roe. If you want a 900hp boost monster, go with a custom Paxton setup.

Old November 10th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #9

Paolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGTS
I think what you've been told is greatly exaggerated. There was an issue early on with the Roe blower intake in which the airflow wasn't as good into the rear cylinders, which caused some people to foul plugs in those cylinders, etc. My recollection is that Sean modified the intake after the first batch of blowers went out to correct the problem, and I don't think it's been an issue since then. For a basic DIY system for the purposes you described the Roe setup is the way to go IMO (I had the 9th system Sean sold, then had a higher hp Heffner Paxton setup, and currently have Heffner twin-turbos). I share the feeling expressed above that once you've had turbos you'll never go back, but I don't think you're going to get into any turbo system for the price of the Roe system.
Ronnie, you are so right! :thumb:

snkbite97, for $12,500.00, you could get my intercooled, entry level Bolt-on Twin Turbo that is capable of putting down anywhere between 700 and 750 RWHP on the stock fuel system. Right around 650 RWHP on 6 PSI.

I know you are looking into superchargers, but the cost of the entry level TT is not that much more than the Roe yet offers much more adjustability and potential for down the road.

Old November 10th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #10

THE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 points

I'm with snkbite97 on this one. You can get a good, used supercharger for $5500. and make 600-700 rwhp no problem. You have to double that price for the "cheapest" TT setup.

I figure I will throw on a Supercharger for now while I get the money togeher for rods, pistons, and a twin turbo. Your looking at $20 k. minimum right there, probably a little more.

~No doubt that Twin Turbos are the best for power, though.

baby steps....baby steps...!

Old November 10th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #11

THE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 pointsTHE  H.N.I.C. made Varsity with 960 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Castellano
I know you are looking into superchargers, but the cost of the entry level TT is not that much more than the Roe yet offers much more adjustability and potential for down the road.
That is a key point- You can stay with the same setup and just upgrade the components.

Them goddamn cast pistons, though!!!!!

Old November 10th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #12

VIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 points

If you have your mind set on a blower make sure you do your self a favor and buy a paxton. It is by far the best and you can make the same power that Paolo is claiming with right around 7lbs of boost and yes, still with the stock fuel system.

Old November 10th, 2005, 02:19 PM   #13

RedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 pointsRedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 pointsRedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 pointsRedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPERRACING
If you have your mind set on a blower make sure you do your self a favor and buy a paxton. It is by far the best and you can make the same power that Paolo is claiming with right around 7lbs of boost and yes, still with the stock fuel system.
I'd be very interested to hear what you base this advice on. Aside from the fact you're probably a minority of one if you think the basic Paxton kit is superior to the Roe kit (for a lot of reasons), there is no way a basic Paxton kit is going to make the same power level that Paolo is talking about at the same (or 1 psi higher) boost level as his turbo system. Among other things, does the term parasitic loss mean anything to you? The basic Paxton kit won't make that much power period on an otherwise stock Gen. II; they're only rated at a little over 600 flywheel hp.

Old November 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #14

KingViper is definately a better person than you are with 420 pointsKingViper is definately a better person than you are with 420 pointsKingViper is definately a better person than you are with 420 pointsKingViper is definately a better person than you are with 420 pointsKingViper is definately a better person than you are with 420 points

Quote:
Hmm...the Paxton kits are much harder to install and you need a good tuner. The Paxton kits are not a good DIY kit.

Please also keep in mind that max numbers are good, but what you should really look for is "area under the curves."

I agree with Paolo and Red on the TT kits. For ultimate HP and TQ numbers TT is the only way to go. So I guess the question you must ask yourself is....

How much HP and TQ I want? If you are looking for about 700 or so, than the Roe blower is the best. Based on installation, tuning, etc...

Now if you want someday to get over 1000 RWHP, than TT is the only way to go.

This is the same dilema that I am considering myself. Good luck :thumb:

Old November 10th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #15

CHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 points

There is so much more to it than just ultimate power. Sooooo much.

Old November 10th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #16

VIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 pointsVIPERRACING made Varsity with 1289 points

Kingviper, I dont know were you got your info from but I dont think that you know what you are talking about. Im not trying to start anything but if you really think that the roe is better just because its easier to put on your crazy. Yes it takes a little longer to do the paxton but it is by far the best BLOWER to use hands down if you got your mind set on only using a blower. And for the tune I dont know were your getting your info on that either. If you run around 7lb's you dont need a special tune except for what comes with the kit so I dont know why you are saying that you need a good tuner. And if you ever do decide to go with more boost you still dont need a tuner because its very simply to retune the box yourself. The paxton is by far the most efficient blower of the two. I dont think that you are going to be very happy after you blow a viper motor up just because it was the easest to put on.

Old November 10th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #17

red gts, we put these kits on many vipers and they all make right around the same power give or take. With only 7lbs you can and will make over 650+rwhp with our tune on pump gas and stock fuel system but still using what comes with the kit no special computers or programmers. paolo, I would like to see a viper make 750rwhp on the stock fuel system with out blowing up on pump fuel. I do agree that the turbo is by far the best in the bunch and we also do turbo systems for the vipers but we are talking about what blower is the best and it is by far a paxton.

Old November 10th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #18

Viperracing, how many roe blowers have you installed and what was your experience with them like?

Old November 10th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #19

Quote:
The paxton is by far the most efficient blower of the two.
I'm not so sure about that one. A paxton is not "more efficient by far" than an Autorotor compressor. A twin screw does not require intercooling at 8lbs.

Old November 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #20

We have done both and use thermal sensors to messure the air temps instead of just going by what the manufactures claim and the paxton is by FAR the most efficient of the two. And why does roe recommend water/meth if his blower is safe and doesnt get heat soaked. Like I said before, weve tested both of them and there is just to much heat created by the roe blower. Im not bashing on sean because he is a awsome guy but we are comparing blowers and the paxton is still the best one to go with. I also do like how easy the roe blower is but after they get heat soaked,and that doesnt take long considering how hot the viper runs, you are really going to hurt something in the the motor when you get into it and we all know that we put a blower on the car to use it. You cant depend totally on water/meth to keep you safe because those system do fail also then when it does your going to be having a very expensive repair bill. I hope that nobody takes any of this to hart but these are the facts and we have tested them all. Good luck with your choice of blowers and please dont think that just because its the easiest to do that it is the best way to go because we all know that the easy way out is usually never the best way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in