Problems with brakes on -99 GTS ACR, same system on all GTS? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Problems with brakes on -99 GTS ACR, same system on all GTS?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:47 PM   #1

Andreas is unremarkable with 10 points

We are having problems with the brakes on a -99 GTS ACR.
The problem is that the rear brakes don't work.
We have changed the brake fluid, brake pads, discs and cylinder.
We think that the problem is in (don't know the terminology in English but hope you understand) the box where you adjust the brake ration front/rear, we took it apart and one of the parts with a spring was stuck, we got it unstuck put it all together and the brakes worked for a short while before we got the same problem again.

So now here is my question, is the brake system them same on all RTs and GTS? Or which model years would have the same thing as the -99 GTS ACR? We need to get the car fit for fight ASAP and the Dodge dealers here in Sweden don't carry any spares for the Viper so we need to borrow this part from another Viper owner but we need to know what year an model have a part that will fit on this car.

Are there any manufacturers of something similar that will fit without to much modification?

What is this part called in English?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Problems with brakes on -99 GTS ACR, same system on all GTS?
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:46 PM   #2
Diamond Supporter

_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points
Send a message via AIM to _Mark_ Send a message via Yahoo to _Mark_
Re: Problems with brakes on -99 GTS ACR, same system on all GTS?

That thing is called the Brake Proportioning Valve. It is designed to limit the rear brake pressure once you reach 800 psi (if memory serves). One thing many of us do is actually disable that assembly by either removing the 0-ring seal, removing the spring, or the plunger, or some combination. Basically, you want to disable that plunger from rationing the rear brakes.

So rather than find a new part, you can likely remove the part thats getting stuck all together and be even better than new. Do a search for "prop valve" and you'll find lots on it.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in