Roe s/c install; some issues. What are your install experiences - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Roe s/c install; some issues. What are your install experiences

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:08 PM   #1

gen 3 motorsports is unremarkable with 10 points

I've already posted some threads here about some possible concerns I've run into or see looking forward on this install. I have a few more and would like to get some feedback.
1. fuel rails and injectors a biotch to keep from leaking. I must have had the driver side tube off 3x to clean up and repai fuel leaks at the injector top orings. The leak would always move to a different injector each time, too. What I finally learned is that the injectors on that side werent going into the fuel rail far enough. The rail standoff posts that shim the rail a certain distance from the blowe deck were keeping the tops of the injectors from going in enuf. Dont know if a slight manufacturing flaw in the rail, but I did take a little off the 4 shims to close up the distance between bottom of rail and top of blower deck. I finally have a leak tight system. I've never had such and issue with aftermarket fuel systems
2. Powdercoating on one of the tubes is already ruined with splotchy marks where fuel has made its way onto the surface (from cleaning up/blowing out the above mentioned leaks). I thought powdercoating was more robust than this. WTF? Customer gonna be pissed I think
3. The injectors supplied in the kit are definitely low impedence (2.4ohms). So, I definitely need to use the resistor box, correct?
4. Stock belt tensioner- are there any billet units available that does away with the self-adjusting stock one? Whenever I put a s/c onto a C5 I replace the self-adjuster with a slick unit from Katech. Any such item for the Viper?
5. Fuel pump voltage booster. where you guys mounting yours?

Thanks.
Robert

PS- I really wish the owner would have ponied up the $$ for one of Paolo's DIY TT kits.....
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Roe s/c install; some issues. What are your install experiences
Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:27 PM   #2

plumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 165204 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 165204 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 165204 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 165204 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 165204 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 165204 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 165204 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 165204 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 165204 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 165204 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 165204 points

i know gas wont hurt powdercoatings....

i always see the booster next to the VEC2 unit.

Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:13 PM   #3

Simms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 points

I had none of the issues above. I did have to rock the inlet tube and fuel rail assembly together a bit to make sure it sat down on all the o-rings, but it has never leaked.

If you hav the bigger injectors, yes you use the resistor box. It can be tucked away under the wiper cowl.

Voltage booster on top of drivers side tow box.

No idea on the belt tensioner. It nice to use the self adjusting one so you don't have to worry about tightening the belt.

Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simms
I had none of the issues above. I did have to rock the inlet tube and fuel rail assembly together a bit to make sure it sat down on all the o-rings, but it has never leaked.

If you hav the bigger injectors, yes you use the resistor box. It can be tucked away under the wiper cowl.

Voltage booster on top of drivers side tow box.

No idea on the belt tensioner. It nice to use the self adjusting one so you don't have to worry about tightening the belt.

Thanks for the info.
In my experience with the C5 Corvette spring loaded tensioners, they wear out pretty quickly, loose their strength to the point where belt slippage occurs. On the s/c cars these loose belts burn up quickly. The fix is the old school type adjusters that your pry tight then cinch down the jamb nut. Belt never looses its tightness. Perhaps worn out tensioners not an issue on Vipers?

Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:03 PM   #5

No Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 pointsNo Man is not afraid of bears with 2147483647 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen 3 motorsports
Thanks.
Robert

PS- I really wish the owner would have ponied up the $$ for one of Paolo's DIY TT kits.....
Hey Robert, don't take this wrong but the owner is likely wishing he had taken the Roe install to a tuner who has done one before. Call Roe racing in the morning with any questions as there are hundreds of these systems that have gone on easily and are running well. Simms, Cudaman, 99/RT10 and many others will attest. :thumb:

Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:38 PM   #6

RedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 pointsRedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 pointsRedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 pointsRedGTS is definately a better person than you are with 390 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen 3 motorsports

Thanks for the info.
In my experience with the C5 Corvette spring loaded tensioners, they wear out pretty quickly, loose their strength to the point where belt slippage occurs. On the s/c cars these loose belts burn up quickly. The fix is the old school type adjusters that your pry tight then cinch down the jamb nut. Belt never looses its tightness. Perhaps worn out tensioners not an issue on Vipers?
Belt tension is a non-issue with Roe blowers because they don't spin nearly as fast as the centrifugal blowers that you're likely more familiar with from your C5 experiences. Don't worry about it. But you should take the advice about calling Roe Racing--they'll walk you through any questions you may have.

Old August 24th, 2005, 04:14 AM   #7

NoMan- no offense taken. there are no Viper tuners in the north of California up here in the northwest. Anyone in the nortwest that wants their Viper worked on has to take it to a dealer or ship the car south. A few Roe s/c's have been installed by local dealerships and have had nothing but problems. I intend to change all that. I'm coming up pretty quick on the (gen 2) Vipers. I have taken my late model Corvette tuning experience, bought a viper for myself and dove right in. I've been on a steep learning curve ever since. The customer knows I only recently started working on Vipers. With that comes little bargain to him on the labor, plus he's aware of my reputation with the vettes, so he feels quite comfortable with his decision to have me do the install and tune on his snake. Customers have come to appreciate that I truly am here for them, and that there is nothing I cant fix and make much faster and better. I try to tell them its just luck when I get their cars done right, but they just keep coming back anyway!!

RedGTS- even the Magnuson roots blower (similar in design to this Roe) on the C5 stresses the tensioner. Fact is, the C5 tensioner is a weak piece. I was just inquiring what the Viper tensioner failure point typically is. Nothing lasts forever.

I really neve had questions for Roe. If I did, I would have called them. My questions posted here were more preemptive than anything. I was really just looking to post here, chat with the gang, so to speak. The install is nearly done now, I have figured it all out and all is good. I have everything wired up, verified the VEC is communicating and happy, the pump booster works great, no fuel leaks, and will be putting a fire in it tomorrow. The s/c, VEC2 and MSD booster install took a day longer than I anticipated (3 days) but I had to redo some of the wiring that came in the kits because I like to solder as much of the connections as possible. A decent amount of time was spent getting rid of the crimp connections that came in the Roe kit and in the MSD voltage booster kit. I still have brakes, clutch, methanol injection, Unitrax, loops, etc to install. A big job.

This install has been a good experience. I really look forward to getting and installing one of Paolo's TT kits on my own Viper.

Thanks for all your views. I'll let y'all know how this turns out.

Robert
www.gen3motorsports.com

Old August 24th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #8

Simms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 pointsSimms is not afraid of bears with 4761 points

Robert, make sure you use the new connectors (supplied in the kit) for the injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in