Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Viper Discussions - Gen I & II (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Epoxy floors & U-Coat-it (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35904)

E-Slab August 15th, 2005 10:06 PM

Epoxy floors & U-Coat-it

Anybody have any experience with putting this stuff on? How were the results? Any problems with hot tires pulling the epoxy up? Thanks.

Kid97GTS August 15th, 2005 10:19 PM

Re: Epoxy floors & U-Coat-it

Memo to White Chocolate: Two months ago called.

Click Here

E-Slab August 15th, 2005 10:29 PM

All that thread accomplished was reiterating what Smoke told me on the phone, and that VA Gina was more annoying than when MROB didnt use an AE.

orlandov10 August 15th, 2005 10:35 PM

yep I have EPoxy, I love it.. I have the two part system.. its tan with the flakes, the stuff rocks! I busted my arse for 3 days but they came out nar perfect. I bought the 2 part system at Home Depot, it was $55 per one car garage. You got to prep, prep, prep!!

heres a pic, the floor will mop up an look like new, Ive been working in the garage for the past few days so they're a mess

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL15/6.../108631483.jpg

E-Slab August 15th, 2005 10:40 PM

Excellent post. Fortunately my garage is new so I dont have to deal with oil and other elements sitting on the slab. I think im going to do the UCoatIt..

Kid97GTS August 15th, 2005 10:43 PM

I've actually looked into it a bit more since hearing from the VA crew - it boils down to two choices:
1) Do the acid prep yourself and a substantial amount of work for a weekend (using the beefed up industrial coating) and get a job that will probably suffice for under $500 for a three car garage; or
2) Spend about $3500 and get a professional coating that is very nice.

E-Slab August 15th, 2005 10:45 PM

Well since my floor is new Im not too worried about the prep. I understand that it's important, but since there are no cracks or oil then I think I can get it to stay down. You research any particular brands other than UCoatIt?

Kid97GTS August 15th, 2005 11:01 PM

http://www.usintegration.com/casspolymers/catalog.asp

I've got a new floor too, but the problem isn't so much cleaning it, it is etching it so that the coating will bond and not have a future problem with the hot tires bubbling it or otherwise drawing out moisture.

The other route is to do a diy coating and then park on impermeable mats, at least where your tires contact the floor, but that somewhat defeats the purpose.

E-Slab August 15th, 2005 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid97GTS
http://www.usintegration.com/casspolymers/catalog.asp

I've got a new floor too, but the problem isn't so much cleaning it, it is etching it so that the coating will bond and not have a future problem with the hot tires bubbling it or otherwise drawing out moisture.

The other route is to do a diy coating and then park on impermeable mats, at least where your tires contact the floor, but that somewhat defeats the purpose.

Shit. Is it worth the risk?

Kid97GTS August 15th, 2005 11:09 PM

The biggest thing for me is I don't want to do it again - the new floor can be done before I start collecting too much stuff. The idea of some manual labor for a weekend followed by crap that doesn't last is not too exciting. On the other hand, some guy with an Evo could probably get an extra 100 hp for the cost difference between the diy and the pro coating. I think I'm leaning towards a diy, with the backup plan of going for floor tiles if it doesn't work out too well, with the cost of floor tiles nearly equaling the pro epoxy job.

E-Slab August 15th, 2005 11:16 PM

Actual tiles or the racedeck crap? It's just hard to pass up a 500 dollar epoxy floor that looks sharp and performs like advertised...if that's what I actually get. After talking with the Asian I think I'm going to order the UCoatIt kit and see what happends.

Kid97GTS August 15th, 2005 11:26 PM

Does U-Coat come with the option of the super-secret-double-probation-industrial-use-outside-of-California-only option for the sealant? That is what I'd want - the industrial-only sealer. I can't imagine something they sell at Sam's Club can be as good as the professional-only stuff, since the retailers have to account for the idiot-factor in the diy crowd.

I'd agree that some form of diy kit is probably worth a shot though.

E-Slab August 15th, 2005 11:36 PM

According to other garage forums U-Coat is supposed to be money if done right. Contrary to you, it's me that has to deal with 110+ degree days and humidity like you've only read about. I think if this kit bonds to my floor like advertised on their website then you cant go wrong. Smoke's floor has held up great. U-Coat offers automotive grade coatings that are supposed to hold up to the excessive heat and abrasive chemicals like brake fluid and what not. I am in the process of ordering right now...

Kid97GTS August 15th, 2005 11:38 PM

110 with humidity?!?!?!?!?! Dude, I'm worried about those 78 degree days after a drive - I'm hoping my tires cool to less than 110 degrees by the time I pull into the garage.

E-Slab August 15th, 2005 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid97GTS
110 with humidity?!?!?!?!?! Dude, I'm worried about those 78 degree days after a drive - I'm hoping my tires cool to less than 110 degrees by the time I pull into the garage.

Shiiiiit. I think you can get by with some spray paint....

E-Slab August 16th, 2005 12:17 AM

I just finalized my order. 561.00 to my door for the UCoat-it kit and the UFlek kit with an extra tub of fleks. I've got some rollin' to do!

TOOOFST August 16th, 2005 12:32 AM

I suggest a very light coat of flakes,easier to find dropped screws and such.If you holdem in your hand and blow em out they'll fall perfect.

E-Slab August 16th, 2005 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOOOFST
I suggest a very light coat of flakes,easier to find dropped screws and such.If you holdem in your hand and blow em out they'll fall perfect.

I thought that exact same thing. I was told that with the amount of flakes provided that it just looks dirty, not cosmetically appealing. I bought extra so I can add more if need be.

Thanks for the tip.

A. Ramathorn August 16th, 2005 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Slab
I just finalized my order. 561.00 to my door for the UCoat-it kit and the UFlek kit with an extra tub of fleks. I've got some rollin' to do!

Congrats on the broke-hoe approach.

McGuireV10 August 16th, 2005 04:06 AM

We have the same stuff U-Coat stuff in the garage at this rental house. It was applied when the floor was brand new (I'm friends with the owner). It still peels up whenever soft tires are even slightly warm. It does not appear to be affected by oil or brake fluid or anything of that nature, though.

Here is a picture I took a few days ago of a motorcycle rear-stand I was selling. Behind it you can see the peeled-up Pilot Sport tread pattern. If I recall correctly, the only unusual driving that day was a quick stint of a few minutes at about 145 in ~90 degree weather, ending roughly 1 mile from the house:

http://www.mindmagma.com/mpunk3/bikestand.jpg

I certainly won't be using it in the new house. After talking to somebody I know who runs a business that does driveways and garage floors, stain with a sealer appears to be the way to go if you're not into the race-deck thing. (I think the plastic flooring looks like ass.)