Technical question...... - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Technical question......

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Technical question......
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #1

Super Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 points
Technical question......

I have cut the cats out of my car....if I install O2 sims, will that cause my ECM to lean out my A/F?

As of now, I have no front O2 sensors, I throw a code every 3 or so months and my car is running super rich (dyno this weekend revealed that it dropped below 10/1). One reason was the plugs and the other reason may be contributed to my present O2 rear sensors have no "initial" reading of exhaust to make adjustments to my a/f.

I know someone will know.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Technical question......
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #2

txlen is unremarkable with 10 points

you need to have the frt sensors hooked up at least...the rears are kinda along for the ride....put the sims on the rear sensors....

Old February 14th, 2005, 08:20 AM   #3

Super Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlen
you need to have the frt sensors hooked up at least...the rears are kinda along for the ride....put the sims on the rear sensors....
thanks....so will that affect my ECM?

Old February 14th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #4
Enthusiast

ViperBing is well liked with 160 pointsViperBing is well liked with 160 points

The rear 02 sensors just detect whether the cats are working. They do NOT affect the tuning of the car at all. Oh, you need the front 02 sensors for your car to run right.

Old February 14th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperBing
The rear 02 sensors just detect whether the cats are working. They do NOT affect the tuning of the car at all. Oh, you need the front 02 sensors for your car to run right.

thanks....I was just making sure... :thumb:

Old February 14th, 2005, 09:26 PM   #6

Jack B made Varsity with 833 pointsJack B made Varsity with 833 pointsJack B made Varsity with 833 pointsJack B made Varsity with 833 pointsJack B made Varsity with 833 pointsJack B made Varsity with 833 pointsJack B made Varsity with 833 points

Without the front O2's there is no control over a/f. My guess is the PCM would force the car rich. The question should be, why isn't the car throwing a code immediately. Why did you remove the O2's.

Old February 15th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B
Without the front O2's there is no control over a/f. My guess is the PCM would force the car rich. The question should be, why isn't the car throwing a code immediately. Why did you remove the O2's.
car throws a code, why not immediately? I just don't know and we can't figure it out. I went catless.

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #8

txlen is unremarkable with 10 points

not throwing codes immediately kinda throws me too....it should throw codes almost right off the bat....kinda weird there....

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:52 AM   #9

J DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 points

Norm, you don't have your front o2 sensors in???

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #10

J DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 pointsJ DAWG is not afraid of bears with 2550 points

car would run horrible with them out. Lee most likely didn't mess with the front ones.

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #11

John,

this has been a huge misunderstanding...I took my front sensors out for a day (Installation reasons) and put them back in.....

I'M THROWING A CODE BECASUE my cats aren't out, not because my o2's are gone. I didn't elaborate on the post enough b/c I was half paying attention and just assumed that everyone knew that I wouldn't "permanently" take my 02's out.

what everyone was wondering was..how am I not throwing a code the second I start my car.

my view was...how am I not throwing a code more often than every 3 months for HAVING MY CATS OUT...

this has been a big misunderstanding.
My question was about the 02 sims which I will place in the rears so my car won't throw a code. However, I was wondering how the 02's work in that if I place them in the rear, my rear 02's won't have a "downstream" comparison and I'm wondering how that will affect my pcm's command to adjust the a/f?

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:03 AM   #12

gotcha. to the best of my knowledge rear o2's don't affect the pcm's altering of fuel in any way. Like someone said above they just let the pcm know if the cats are working, so the sims are supposed to take care of the sporadic code.

It does seem like the code would be more frequent.....hmmmmm, do you know what code number it is by chance?

John

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #13

P0432

that is the downstream cat code that I throw

Old February 15th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #14
Viper Love

MbnViper is definately JV with 260 pointsMbnViper is definately JV with 260 pointsMbnViper is definately JV with 260 points

Super Squirrel you have the simms ? i have a new one from Roe Racing let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in