Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT10
Curious as to why you wanna switch to E85.
e85 has quite a few benefits and here a just a few...
1. Resists detonation...much cooler burn temp...allows you to run more boost on supercharged/turbocharged applications (My car is Paxton equipped)
2. Cheap form of "race gas"....has an equivalent octane rating of basically 108.
3. Due to resistance of detonation will normally allow more timing as well....all depends on setup. For example on my CTSV with just e85 tune on same boost we picked up 65whp with 4 more degrees of timing.
4. Cleans engine combustion chambers...when you pull apart an engine on e85 generally the combustion chamber will be super clean...no carbon build up.
A few disadvantages...
1. Need to "maintain" fuel system much more...filter changes are important as e85 is a dirtier fuel and can gum up and clog things when it sits
2. Need 20-30% more of it so need bigger fuel pumps and injectors in most cases
3. Pump e85 can vary on ethanol content....some stations can be as low as e50 at certain times of year so tune can need tweaking if it is far off from where you initially tune it.