Oil Light Coming On....Pressure Looks Ok...? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Oil Light Coming On....Pressure Looks Ok...?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old June 8th, 2020, 11:57 AM   #1
Enthusiast

Endlessgts is a B-Teamer with 110 pointsEndlessgts is a B-Teamer with 110 points

I was out driving yesterday and as I came to a stop I noticed the actual oil light flickered on....I glanced at the oil psi gauge on the dash and that was showing 50psi or so at idle so I shut the car off and checked the level and it was still above the lower hash ....I've never noticed it leaking anywhere, but I'd assume there is some burning going on. I added a quart and it was ok and then about an hour later of driving the light came back on and the level is near the top hash....oil psi light is still good. Are these things known for having issues with the oil level or oil psi sensor? Any other suggestions to look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2020, 12:19 PM   #2
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner

8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points
I'm sure others will chime in soon on this but I'd start by ruling out the oil sending unit, oil pressure switch, and oil pressure gauge. These are reasonably easy to check and have detailed instructions on pages 8E-2 thru 8E-4.

Good luck man.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 8th, 2020, 12:20 PM   #3
Landscaping Professional

GTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60425 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60425 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60425 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60425 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60425 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60425 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60425 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60425 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60425 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60425 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60425 points
Quite likely the problem originates with the indicator sending unit. I don't think it's available any longer. It is the rearmost one that screws into the block.

Old June 8th, 2020, 02:11 PM   #4
Enthusiast

Endlessgts is a B-Teamer with 110 pointsEndlessgts is a B-Teamer with 110 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.0L>1.8T View Post
I'm sure others will chime in soon on this but I'd start by ruling out the oil sending unit, oil pressure switch, and oil pressure gauge. These are reasonably easy to check and have detailed instructions on pages 8E-2 thru 8E-4.

Good luck man.
Im assuming that's in the service manual....Suggestions on where I can get that? Do they offer an online or e-manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
Quite likely the problem originates with the indicator sending unit. I don't think it's available any longer. It is the rearmost one that screws into the block.
OK I will check that out. Thanks sir!

Old June 8th, 2020, 02:47 PM   #5
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner

8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 8471 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlessgts View Post
Quote:

Good luck man.
Im assuming that's in the service manual....Suggestions on where I can get that? Do they offer an online or e-manual?
Mike has a the manuals you need!

Direct from the service manual:

Engine oil pressure sending unit test-
(1)To test the sending unit, measure the resistance between the sending unit terminal and the metal housing. The ohmmeter should read between 0 and 10 ohms. (2) Start the engine. The ohmmeter should read between 30 and 55 ohms, depending on the engine speed, oil temperature, and oil viscosity. (3) if the above results are not obtained, replace the switch.

Engine Oil Pressure Switch Test-
(1) To test the normally closed oil lamp circuit, disconnect the locking connector and measure the resistance between the switch terminal and the metal housing. The ohmmeter should read 0 ohms. (2) start the engine. If there is oil pressure, the ohmmeter should read an open circuit. If not, replace switch.

Engine oil pressure gauge Test-
(1) ignition switch in the on position and the engine not running, the engine oil pressure gauge should read zero. (2) ignition switch in the on position, the engine not running, disconnect the oil pressure sensor and engine oil pressure gauge should read maximum oil pressure. If okay, test oil pressure sensor.

And

Low oil pressure warning lamp Test-
to test the system, turn the ignition key to the on position. If the lamp fails to light, inspect for broken or disconnected wires at the oil pressure sensor unit located at the front of the engine.

Old June 8th, 2020, 04:14 PM   #6

jslimm is not afraid of bears with 10693 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10693 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10693 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10693 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10693 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10693 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10693 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10693 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10693 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10693 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10693 points
Quote:
Do they offer an online or e-manual?
An alley member posted a copy a few years ago: https://www.viperalley.com/forum/1923249-post20.html

Old June 8th, 2020, 09:19 PM   #7
Enthusiast

Quote:
Mike has a the manuals you need!

Direct from the service manual:

Engine oil pressure sending unit test-
(1)To test the sending unit, measure the resistance between the sending unit terminal and the metal housing. The ohmmeter should read between 0 and 10 ohms. (2) Start the engine. The ohmmeter should read between 30 and 55 ohms, depending on the engine speed, oil temperature, and oil viscosity. (3) if the above results are not obtained, replace the switch.

Engine Oil Pressure Switch Test-
(1) To test the normally closed oil lamp circuit, disconnect the locking connector and measure the resistance between the switch terminal and the metal housing. The ohmmeter should read 0 ohms. (2) start the engine. If there is oil pressure, the ohmmeter should read an open circuit. If not, replace switch.

Engine oil pressure gauge Test-
(1) ignition switch in the on position and the engine not running, the engine oil pressure gauge should read zero. (2) ignition switch in the on position, the engine not running, disconnect the oil pressure sensor and engine oil pressure gauge should read maximum oil pressure. If okay, test oil pressure sensor.

And

Low oil pressure warning lamp Test-
to test the system, turn the ignition key to the on position. If the lamp fails to light, inspect for broken or disconnected wires at the oil pressure sensor unit located at the front of the engine.
Thanks!

Old June 8th, 2020, 09:20 PM   #8
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslimm View Post
An alley member posted a copy a few years ago: https://www.viperalley.com/forum/1923249-post20.html
Thanks!

Old June 8th, 2020, 09:21 PM   #9
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslimm View Post
Any place to buy the manual in paperback copy as well? I'd love to have that in the garage for quick reference on stuff.

Old June 8th, 2020, 09:35 PM   #10

99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 109021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 109021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 109021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 109021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 109021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 109021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 109021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 109021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 109021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 109021 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 109021 points
Quote:

OK I will check that out. Thanks sir!

I have a few manuals, what year is your car?

My buddy just had the exact same issue. I gave him a loaner switch, fixed the problem. Was suppose to be a loaner, but don't think I will see it ever again........................

Old June 8th, 2020, 10:28 PM   #11
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RT10>S View Post
I have a few manuals, what year is your car?

My buddy just had the exact same issue. I gave him a loaner switch, fixed the problem. Was suppose to be a loaner, but don't think I will see it ever again........................
Mine is a 1998.....I wish I had a buddy like you! lol

Old June 11th, 2020, 08:17 PM   #12
Enthusiast

Mrama004 is well liked with 194 pointsMrama004 is well liked with 194 points
Sending units can be found. I just put a new one on ~2 months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in