Haven't started my car in 9 months, need advice... - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Haven't started my car in 9 months, need advice...

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old April 6th, 2020, 12:18 PM   #1
n00b

R3P71L3 is unremarkable with 10 points

Sorry I searched but can't find anything concrete for this car..... I really looked!

I have a '99 GTS and haven't started the car since July 2019. Hoping someone has a checklist of things to do and check prior to starting it up? Many thanks in advance!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2020, 12:37 PM   #2
Sexist

Chuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 107572 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 107572 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 107572 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 107572 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 107572 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 107572 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 107572 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 107572 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 107572 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 107572 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 107572 points
For starters the fuel is most likely bad.
1. Replace fuel with fresh fuel.
2. Change oil.
3. Change tranny fluid.
4. Change diff fluid.
5. Battery still good? If not, change battery.
6. Check air in tires.
7. Check tires for age - AGE AND wear. Replace if necessary or drive safe.
8. Drive the damn car and enjoy it.

Old April 6th, 2020, 03:36 PM   #3

IC Prey is not afraid of bears with 6908 pointsIC Prey is not afraid of bears with 6908 pointsIC Prey is not afraid of bears with 6908 pointsIC Prey is not afraid of bears with 6908 pointsIC Prey is not afraid of bears with 6908 pointsIC Prey is not afraid of bears with 6908 pointsIC Prey is not afraid of bears with 6908 pointsIC Prey is not afraid of bears with 6908 pointsIC Prey is not afraid of bears with 6908 pointsIC Prey is not afraid of bears with 6908 pointsIC Prey is not afraid of bears with 6908 points
Sell it.

Old April 6th, 2020, 06:42 PM   #4

dirtbag is not afraid of bears with 10721 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 10721 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 10721 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 10721 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 10721 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 10721 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 10721 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 10721 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 10721 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 10721 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 10721 points
9 months? Drive your car more! Rule of thumb is if you haven't driven your car in a year, the chances go up exponentially it'll never get driven again.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the fluids and fuel. The octane may have gone down some so just don't rage the shit out of it. I'd probably change them sooner rather than later though.

Old April 6th, 2020, 06:56 PM   #5
Enthusiast

misfit is well liked with 210 pointsmisfit is well liked with 210 pointsmisfit is well liked with 210 points
It hasn't even been a year yet. Start the car and drive it. If the battery is flat, replace...otherwise BFD
Put some miles on it, then change the oil.

Old April 8th, 2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner

8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 5921 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 5921 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 5921 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 5921 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 5921 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 5921 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 5921 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 5921 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 5921 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 5921 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 5921 points
The manual mentions this throughout, here are a couple bullets:

If you're to keep your Viper in cryostasis like that, it is recommended that the drivetrain be rotated. This should be done at least once every two weeks. The vehicle should be moved far enough to cause the drivetrain components to make several complete revolutions. This procedure will help assure that all internal components receive adequate amounts of lubrication. This will reduce deterioration caused by prolonged storage.

Additionally, it is worth noting here, if the vehicle is stored for a period Of 2 years or longer, the brake system hydraulic fluid should be removed and replaced with fresh brake fluid prior to returning vehicle to service. This would be necessary to remove any moisture absorber by the brake hydraulic fluid.

it is also recommended that when the vehicle is being stored for prolonged periods of time, do not apply vehicle parking brakes. Block the tires to keep vehicle from moving.

Old April 8th, 2020, 11:52 AM   #7

ViperTony is not afraid of bears with 53334 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 53334 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 53334 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 53334 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 53334 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 53334 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 53334 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 53334 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 53334 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 53334 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 53334 points
If you're going to drain the gas there's a procedure for it. I drained the gas out of my RT/10 a few weeks ago because it sat for 4 years while waiting for me to put the engine back in. Gas tank is not accessible from the RT/10 trunk or anywhere without major surgery. I jumped the fuel pump relay method....

- Basically, pull out the fuel pump relay, run a bypass wire to connect the ignition switch output to the fuel pump relay output Pins#4&5.

- Purge the fuel/pressure from the intake manifold.

- Disconnect the intake manifold fuel line from the fuel supply line behind/above the transmission area. OR...you can use the schraeder valve atop of the intake manifold. I had fuel line and connectors around so it was easy for me to hook up to the fuel line.

- Connect a line to the fuel supply line (or schraeder valve) and run it to a container.

Then turn the ignition to ON (without starting). What this does is allows you to continuously run the fuel pump so that it doesn't stop after a few seconds when you turn on the ignition switch. You'll hear cavitation (air bubbles), turn it off for a moment so that you don't burn out the pump. Repeat.

I emptied almost 10 gallons and refilled with fresh gas. The procedure is easier than it sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in