Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

No Fire after my fire...

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Chuck 98 RT10 
#1 ·
Long story long, after my small underhood fire, I have everything patched up, repaired, replaced and now the engine won't fire. Yes Capt Obvious...I know...but here me out (I'm not a newbie here). Everything "keys-on" just fine. Fuel pump and associated bells and whistles, alarm, chimes, etcetera. No CELS...cranks but has no spark or fuel injector action (plugs are dry). Reset alarm system, did the battery post thingy, checked 5v to crank position sensor (CPS) since that took a beating in the fire (5v signal is fine)..data streamed ODB-II on live and I have no RPM signal. Possibly a crank position sensor if no RPM signal. Again no CELs for anything. Ran fine before fire so before I drop a load on a CPS (or any other sensor no longer in freaking stock....) thought I'd drop a post here. Don't think cam position sensor is in play since that was protected from the fire...but I'm about out of ideas. DRB-III live data would be nice but not exactly something we all have laying around.

#2 ·
The crank has to make 2 revs and the cam 1 rev to synch the injectors and coils to fire. IIRC, the cam sensor wires come off the harness that clips under the shock tower cross brace. I'm fairly certain the crank sensor wires come off a pigtail from the loom that feeds the oil pressure sensors. You'll need to look at the service manual to see where that loom runs - but I think it's from behind the alternator - so higher up on the motor and most likely to have been fire affected.

#3 ·
Ensure your fuel injectors have a good solid connection with the connectors. Test with a test light to ensure they're getting a signal up to the injectors WHILE cranking. I had a similar problem where everything checked out fine but the car wouldn't fire, plug were dry. Turned out to be the crappy injector connector conversion harnesses i was using to convert the stock plug into an aftermarket one so i could use different injectors without cutting up my stock harness.

#4 ·
Cam/crank sensors? I would change them out anyway, just to eliminate those possibilities. The Magnum Cam sensor will work with a little modification( Walker 235-1115).

#5 ·
Thanks guys. As far as the wiring loom...yes all that came off and was checked/repaired. Mostly the tape and wire covers were charred....some conenctors were burned/replaced. Pretty simple harness all things considered..and its a pretty simple way Dodge did the 5v reference wiring and sensor wiring. Easy to follow. Its funny what burned and didn't. Lucky the whole thing didn't go up. I hit the key pretty quick when it let go so I didn't pump fuel all over the place...just what came out of the passenger fuel rail/injectors when they blew off the manifold.

#6 ·
Back in action. Ended up getting a Walker 235-1116 crank position sensor for a RAM V-10 engine. Same exact sensor but with the 5v and signal leads needing to be reversed. No big deal since I had swapped the OEM plug to a weathertight three wire plug since it melted in the fire. $69.99 vs what the OEM re-salers are trying to rip us off with the OEM sensor for over $200 if you can find one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4H4B4L/ref=psdc_15730711_t2_B075VBXNFN

Now to scale the stock tune for the #60 DEKA injectors. Oh it is running....just need to dial in the injector scaling better.

#7 ·
That's great news!

#9 ·
Yeah...that GEN-IV top end with the Drag Pac single TB manifold is pretty sweet. I guess after years and years of messing with various ROE blower mods and that one-off Whipple prototype, its good to get back to basics. Factory/OEM components are hard to beat.

#15 ·
See? Anybody can do that with some basic tools, mechanical knowledge and determination.

#18 ·
:bowdown: Chuck has his own Bridgeport mill!!!

#19 ·
:) Wells Index 40H mill and a South Bend Heavy 13 lathe. I had my chance at a perfect Bridgeport Series II for a great price but didn't have anywhere to put it. Dammit. I wish I would have jumped on it. I could have put it in my spare bedroom with my nephew.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.