96 GTS 511 na 675 w/150 shot: 90k and 123 bottles later: are my TracLok discs shot? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

96 GTS 511 na 675 w/150 shot: 90k and 123 bottles later: are my TracLok discs shot?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

96 GTS 511 na 675 w/150 shot: 90k and 123 bottles later: are my TracLok discs shot?
Old October 12th, 2019, 12:41 PM   #1

Squid is a B-Teamer with 140 pointsSquid is a B-Teamer with 140 points

1st gear tires light.

2nd gear on concrete, RHS wheel is breaking free somewhat and wheel rpm oscillates @ about 1 Hz.

I'm guessing clutches are not good enough to transfer the torque to the LHS???
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2019, 03:00 PM   #2

99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104504 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104504 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104504 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104504 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104504 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104504 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104504 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104504 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104504 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104504 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104504 points
Good indication in need of a rebuilt. Not uncommon.

Old October 13th, 2019, 11:41 AM   #3

Squid is a B-Teamer with 140 pointsSquid is a B-Teamer with 140 points
NOTE: While not complete, I found a very informative description of all the various differentials out there.
https://www.randysworldwide.com/reso...l-differences/

Here is an excerpt about the Trac Lok:
"Built by Dana Spicer for use in Spicer rearends, AMC rearends, and 1998 & older 10.25″ Ford rearends. The old design built up until about 1989 was weak. The 1990 and newer design is fairly strong and even rivals the Powr-Lok for impact durability, but the clutches do not provide as much lock-up force and tend to wear out in about 50,000 miles if used in the rear. Works better in the front of vehicles because itís not aggressive. The main selling points for this design are the fact that clutch chatter is almost non-existent, and it is very inexpensive. These two points make it a great unit for many applications and a very good value for the money. This unit makes a great front limited slip and works well for those who need a little extra traction but cannot tolerate clutch chatter. The Trac-Lok came factory installed in many models such as D28, D44, D60, AMC 20, AMC35, 10.25″ Ford. The problem with this unit is that it is not very aggressive and power transfer is minimal. Also, 1988 and earlier units tend to break fairly easily. (1piece case, 2 pinion gears, and 2 tab clutches). (factory)"

BREAKAWAY TORQUE TEST: (?)
Too lazy to check FSM, but is there a test to determine if clutches need replacement? like a torque spec to turn an axle and cause clutches to slip?

Found this on Jeep site (I suspect Paper Test is suggested because breakaway torque is extremely high)

DIAGNOSIS & TESTING

DANA 2-PINION TRAC-LOK

Drive vehicle to thoroughly warm up lubricant in rear axle. Place a piece of slick paper over a smooth formica board. Ensure formica board is on flat and level floor.

Drive vehicle over formica board until one rear wheel is
in the center of board and paper. Place a block of wood 2" high and a
minimum of 3" wide in front of one of the front wheels.

Open throttle gradually attempting to slowly drive vehicle
over block of wood. If paper slips out of position, reposition paper
and repeat test. If vehicle drives over block of wood, axle is
functioning properly.

DANA 4-PINION POWER-LOK

With engine off and transmission in "N", raise one wheel
off ground. Block both front and rear wheels of opposite side. Install
adapter tool across 2 wheel studs and attach torque wrench to center
of tool.

Observe torque required to continuously turn wheel
smoothly through several revolutions. Repeat test for opposite side.
If differential is okay, torque should be 40-200 ft. lbs. (54-272 N.
m). Disregard breakaway torque. Use rotating torque only.

Last edited by Squid; October 13th, 2019 at 11:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in