stumped on alternator issue - Page 2 - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

stumped on alternator issue

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 9th, 2019, 10:10 AM   #21

daaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslimm View Post
You can't check resistance when there is a voltage applied to the thing you are checking.(well, not totally correct; but, you have to know what you are doing)
There has to be no voltage applied so that no current is running through it. Typically you would want at least one of the endpoints disconnected so that you are not measuring the resistance of more things in the circuit than you intend to measure (and that also ensures that no current is flowing in the thing you are measuring.)
Ok. I will check resistance with wire cold and then when its hot. I will disconnect the wire prior to testing it.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2019, 08:01 PM   #22

CWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 points
Edit: duplicate post

Old November 9th, 2019, 08:03 PM   #23

CWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaam View Post
Instead of insulting me, you could have just told me how to check resistance. I like to work on my own vehicle's and I come here for help on fixing my problems.
Didn't insult you at all and I instructed you to take a resistance measurement to help you get started with figuring out your problem Now that you know how to do that....If you would...measure resistance from the back of the alternator to the stud on the fuse block under your hood. You can disconnect the cable from the stud if you'd like to take the reading. If you're running an alternator that's no longer being regulated by the ECU then you need to ensure that the engine block to battery/chassis ground connection is good other wise the regulator will not function correctly. You can measure resistance from the engine block to the negative battery terminal as well and also post that reading here.

Last edited by CWhiteRun; November 9th, 2019 at 09:23 PM.

Old November 9th, 2019, 10:24 PM   #24

jslimm is not afraid of bears with 10934 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10934 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10934 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10934 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10934 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10934 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10934 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10934 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10934 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10934 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10934 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWhiteRun View Post
You can disconnect the cable from the stud if you'd like to take the reading.
Just be very cautious removing the nut from the stud if it has never been removed before. Make sure that the stud does not turn !!! Quite a few people have had to contend with a loosened stud, and the intermittent that causes and the hassle to fix it.

Old November 10th, 2019, 09:50 PM   #25

daaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 points
I must be doing something wrong because when I try to measure resistance it just shows all zero's. I see it calculate each time I connect the wires but it shows zero's. I tried checking resistance on the wire itself and also on the post of alternator with wire hooked up and battery post under hood, but it just shows zero's.

I did hook up a new sense wire from my fuse box and it seems to be working decently but I won't know for sure until I can actually road test it, which I won't be able to do until spring as it is snowing here now.

Thanks everyone for your help. I hope replacing the sense wire works.

Old November 11th, 2019, 04:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaam View Post
I must be doing something wrong because when I try to measure resistance it just shows all zero's. I see it calculate each time I connect the wires but it shows zero's. I tried checking resistance on the wire itself and also on the post of alternator with wire hooked up and battery post under hood, but it just shows zero's.

I did hook up a new sense wire from my fuse box and it seems to be working decently but I won't know for sure until I can actually road test it, which I won't be able to do until spring as it is snowing here now.

Thanks everyone for your help. I hope replacing the sense wire works.
"0.0" on your meters display is better than "--" when measuring resistance. Any numerical value shown means that there is connectivity between the two points of the wire. The higher the numerical value that is displayed then the more resistance the wire has which means that current doesn't travel as easily through the wire.
Whenever you get more time to play with it post your findings up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in