1996 GTS Heater A/C Blower, Flaps, Ducting Illustrations - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

1996 GTS Heater A/C Blower, Flaps, Ducting Illustrations

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 2nd, 2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Enthusiast

Squid is a B-Teamer with 90 points

After 18 years, preparing to drive my GTS home to PA from NV!

I have the FSM and they do not provide a picture of the entire system - in particular, where how the flapper valves are located.

I have strong air flow from the floor heater outlets but the dash A/C outlets are weak.

If I could see how the system is constructed, I could begin to troubleshoot the problem - assuming there is no problem and the AC outlet flow is weak to begin with (however my 2000 GTS never had that problem.)

I just want to avoid unnecessary exploratory surgery.

Tanks
Tom

Last edited by Squid; July 5th, 2019 at 12:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2019, 10:58 AM   #2
Landscaping Professional

GTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 points
I'm pretty sure the divert flapper is vacuum activated. I think it's from the small nipple off the back of the intake, passenger side.

Old July 2nd, 2019, 01:12 PM   #3
Sexist

Chuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 100573 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 100573 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 100573 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 100573 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 100573 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 100573 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 100573 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 100573 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 100573 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 100573 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 100573 points
Dean is correct. There is a small vac line running from the manifold to the firewall. Over time the line will get brittle and crack. I sleeved mine and got some of the AC back but it still isn't great.

I miss the days when a mechanical lever moved the shit.

Old July 2nd, 2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Enthusiast

This car has been in the NV desert for 15 years so I'll bet it's not in great shape.

I take it the vacuum line goes into the bowels of the dash/firewall/climatizer and requires stupid levels of disassembly? (Ouch, I wonder if the heater/AC selector dial on the dash is the vacuum distribution valve??? ...in which case, Damn....)

Wonder if anyone makes silicone vacuum hose?

Old July 2nd, 2019, 03:28 PM   #5
Landscaping Professional

GTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 57332 points
Most vacuum and air pressure line for the last 30 years has been made of nylon. Super cheap and available at any auto or hose supply store. It is less likely to be the hose than one of the rubber connectors or the vacuum canister diaphram itself.

Old July 2nd, 2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Enthusiast

I haven't started into this repair yet (others being done first) but I think 2 of the vacuum pots are in the passenger kick panel.

If that is the case, it would be possible to witness the incomplete actuation. And if the proper repair requires too many man hours, then some "hillbilly repair" could be done.

Getting the AC running is a top priority for me.

Old July 2nd, 2019, 07:00 PM   #7

jslimm is not afraid of bears with 10300 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10300 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10300 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10300 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10300 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10300 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10300 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10300 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10300 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10300 pointsjslimm is not afraid of bears with 10300 points
There was a vacuum check valve in the vacuum line on my car. It was behind the radio on my '02 GTS, accessible by removing the radio. I think that I have seen photos of some on right at the valve over port. I don't know if those are stock or aftermarket. I changed mine to a larger one as suggested on the old club site. My issue was the vacuum door not staying in AC position during heavy throttle application. There is some discussion of the system on the old forum. Not exactly the issue you describe; but, maybe useful info. https://www.viperclub.org/vca/thread...-pedal.578869/

Old July 2nd, 2019, 07:41 PM   #8
Enthusiast

Thanks for the check valve tip.

With engine idling at high vacuum, the AC duct flow is so low, you cannot feel it on your face if you aim all the ducts at your face.

Also, if there is a vacuum leak in the system, that plays havoc with the OBDII fueling and yes, I've got issues there (however I found that my O2 sensor connectors are totally corroded with bluer/green deposits (!) )

EDIT: This problem existed since 2001 when car was only 5 years old. It is in Carson City NV which is 4500' desert which has interesting effects on materials.

Last edited by Squid; July 5th, 2019 at 12:30 PM.

Old July 6th, 2019, 12:43 AM   #9
Enthusiast

It seems like the 2 vacuum cans are fairly accessible under the dash.

Assuming the flaps don't break, I should be able to set the actuators for AC no matter what. (Some old Japanese cars connect a push/pull knob to the actual flap(!) )

Crotch Vents Greatest Flow Imbalance
Old July 9th, 2019, 04:25 PM   #10
Enthusiast

Crotch Vents Greatest Flow Imbalance

Driver's is almost non-existent while passenger's is strongest vent flow.

Is this related to actuated flaps not reaching their properposition?

OR some mis-assembled ducting?

Old July 9th, 2019, 05:59 PM   #11
Landscaping Professional

I'd suspect incomplete range of motion. I would not be surprised if there is a rubber edge seal on the door that has either decomposed, or has outgassed and glued itself to the housing walls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in