Half shafts??? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Half shafts???

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Half shafts???
Old June 7th, 2019, 02:16 PM   #1
Enthusiast

Domantas is unremarkable with 10 points
Half shafts???

Just got off the phone with Unitrax. I am told they dont make gen 2 axles anymore. What other options do we have? Im not feeling like spending $5k on a set...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2019, 04:59 PM   #2

Ramtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 points
https://www.driveshaftshop.com/domestic-axles?cat=471
Way under 5k

Old June 7th, 2019, 08:17 PM   #3

99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104106 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104106 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104106 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104106 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104106 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104106 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104106 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104106 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104106 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104106 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 104106 points
I have a set of used Unitrax axles PM me.

Old June 7th, 2019, 11:30 PM   #4
Enthusiast

Arnt those Driveshaftshop exles priced each? Thats $4k for a set of axles... 😵

Old June 8th, 2019, 12:23 AM   #5

daaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 points
I have unitrax 800hp set for $700.00 shipped.

Old June 9th, 2019, 03:45 PM   #6
Enthusiast

So whats the verdict? Are those Unitrax any good to run on 345 stickies and 1000hp? I dont do strip but plan on driving living hell out of it. Based on numbers suggested Driveshaftshop ones are 1200hp rated. What do you guys think? I dont want to run loops but care about my car and if Unitrax is not up to par for 1k ish hp car I will consider other options.

Old June 9th, 2019, 03:52 PM   #7

EllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domantas View Post
The ad makes me think they are for a set. I emailed them a month ago regarding build times but never heard back. Since I never heard back, I spent my $$$ on food and clothing for the kids. I have the 800 HP Unitrax but only trust them so far. They have a few miles on them and so far so good...

Old June 9th, 2019, 05:08 PM   #8

Ramtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 pointsRamtuff is not afraid of bears with 5937 points
Quote:
No, per set.

Old June 9th, 2019, 06:00 PM   #9
Enthusiast

Oh... oh... so I Driveshaftshop it is?

Those are CV style?
Do I need to crack my diff to install these at all?
And if I do these and say a clutch, my t56 would be the weak link? Or diff? How stout the driveshafts are on these gen 2s?

Sorry for all the Qs but I thinks it would be a good sourse to read for others as well.

Thx gents.

Old June 9th, 2019, 08:22 PM   #10

daaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 points
Quote:

Those are CV style?
And if I do these and say a clutch, my t56 would be the weak link? Or diff? How stout the driveshafts are on these gen 2s?

Sorry for all the Qs but I thinks it would be a good sourse to read for others as well.

Thx gents.
I have the Driveshaft axles in my car. They are CV style but you do not have to take your differential apart, you just replace the stub shafts in the differential to the cv style.

If you don't want nothing to break you should replace the differential, clutch, build the transmission (some don't and do fine) and buy an upgraded rear pinion. I just did all of this as well and you will just break one thing after the next if you use sticky tires and don't upgrade everything. Also the rear pinion bracket is something no one told me about until it snapped and it broke my brand new driveshaft shop axles and rear batwing assembly. Todd at a/c performance can hook you up if you need the rear pinion as he has cnc'd ones.

Old June 13th, 2019, 07:06 AM   #11

ReboundViper is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsReboundViper is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsReboundViper is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsReboundViper is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsReboundViper is definately a better person than you are with 440 points
Quote:
So whats the verdict? Are those Unitrax any good to run on 345 stickies and 1000hp? I dont do strip but plan on driving living hell out of it. Based on numbers suggested Driveshaftshop ones are 1200hp rated. What do you guys think? I dont want to run loops but care about my car and if Unitrax is not up to par for 1k ish hp car I will consider other options.
I would ONLY use driveshaft shops 1200hp CV axles for your power. I had 950ish Torque to the wheels off the line...enough to pull the front tires an inch. I broke stock and unitrax. I have the driveshaft shop ones now...NO issues. They are amazing. My car was Roe+nitrous on Hoosiers 28/14.5 slicks when I pulled the tires. Now its getting TT at 1k+ hp. Go with the CV's and never look back.

Old June 13th, 2019, 07:08 AM   #12

ReboundViper is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsReboundViper is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsReboundViper is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsReboundViper is definately a better person than you are with 440 pointsReboundViper is definately a better person than you are with 440 points
Quote:

Those are CV style?

Thx gents.
Like daaam already said, there are a lot of things that can or will break with that power. I have the stock tranny and she has held up just fine. And let me tell you, I race and drive the living shit out of my car. The rear diff broke on me, that's fixed. Lot of little things to take care of to make the car last. Also, if you pre-load the drive train on launches you will break a lot less stuff.

Old June 13th, 2019, 11:26 AM   #13

EllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 pointsEllowViper is not afraid of bears with 10111 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaam View Post
I have the Driveshaft axles in my car. They are CV style but you do not have to take your differential apart, you just replace the stub shafts in the differential to the cv style.

If you don't want nothing to break you should replace the differential, clutch, build the transmission (some don't and do fine) and buy an upgraded rear pinion. I just did all of this as well and you will just break one thing after the next if you use sticky tires and don't upgrade everything. Also the rear pinion bracket is something no one told me about until it snapped and it broke my brand new driveshaft shop axles and rear batwing assembly. Todd at a/c performance can hook you up if you need the rear pinion as he has cnc'd ones.
I was looking at my half shafts last night and on the wheel hub, I have the ABS sensor as part of the U-joint stub. I doubt the CV style has those.....?

Old June 13th, 2019, 12:50 PM   #14

They are removable. You have to take them off and press on new cv joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in