Back Again! More Noobie questions - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Back Again! More Noobie questions

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old April 18th, 2019, 03:09 AM   #1
n00b

xxmetal is a B-Teamer with 60 points

It's been a while, but luckily just as a result of me being bad at school, and not my dad convincing me to buy a Corvette! Y'all helped me out a few months ago, and I've decided that no matter what I get, it will be kept very much out of the elements. I do have some more specific questions for y'all now, as I am getting closer to making a purchase. I want to make sure that I don't get screwed over in a deal or inadvertently buy a time bomb. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I'll bold my questions so you don't have to read more than you want.

I am in the process of looking for a gen 2 GTS for purchase sometime between late May and early November. I have a couple in mind that are on the market right now, but do have some concerns.

The main car I am looking at right now is a 1997 GTS with a bunch of upgrades and parts from BTR. The seller says that he has all of the original parts to bring it back to stock as well. It was tracked to my knowledge, but has only 22000 miles or so. Doing a VIN check, I see that it has not had the 998 recall completed.

Should I be worried about the recall? I do not know the extent of the damage that racing (likely drag racing) could cause without the recall, and I do not know if the recall could be effectively performed 17 years after release. Is there anything in particular that I should look out for with a tracked/drag car? What kinds of questions should I ask the seller before going out to see the car? (it is very far away from me).

Overall, what should I look for/avoid through the buying process? Honestly, the main selling point for me is the rare color combination, but I do not want visual appeal to take precedence over mechanical condition.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2019, 07:28 AM   #2
Landscaping Professional

GTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 56982 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 56982 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 56982 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 56982 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 56982 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 56982 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 56982 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 56982 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 56982 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 56982 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 56982 points
If it was tracked, then the steering rack recall would be a wise call. The rear diff strut brace was important if you were were dragging and getting wheel hop shock loading into the rear frame area. I would ask if he had twisted any half shafts from hard launches that led to upgrades in that area.

Old April 19th, 2019, 03:29 PM   #3

RobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 points
how much is he asking for?

Old April 19th, 2019, 08:40 PM   #4
Sexist

Chuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 99823 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 99823 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 99823 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 99823 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 99823 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 99823 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 99823 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 99823 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 99823 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 99823 pointsChuck 98 RT10 is not afraid of bears with 99823 points
Listen to Dean.

Old April 20th, 2019, 07:30 PM   #5
n00b

xxmetal is a B-Teamer with 60 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobV View Post
how much is he asking for?
44k. From what I can tell, it was only drag raced. It has BTR half shafts, which I would assume was done preemptively because the car as a whole was once owned/driven by the BTR guy. I reached out to Tom Welch but it seems he hasn't been active anywhere public for the last 6 years or so

Old April 21st, 2019, 09:19 AM   #6

RobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 pointsRobV is not afraid of bears with 11588 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmetal View Post
44k. From what I can tell, it was only drag raced. It has BTR half shafts, which I would assume was done preemptively because the car as a whole was once owned/driven by the BTR guy. I reached out to Tom Welch but it seems he hasn't been active anywhere public for the last 6 years or so
At 44k there are a lot cars available. Some members could be persuaded out of they car at 44k.

Old April 25th, 2019, 12:06 PM   #7

daaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5769 points
Good luck getting the recall done. I had my mechanic call dodge last year to try to get mine done and they gave me the run around.

Old April 25th, 2019, 09:16 PM   #8
Enthusiast

GenIIJon is well liked with 162 pointsGenIIJon is well liked with 162 points
I can't remember the member here that posted this, but it's very good if you're new to Gen 2's. Also, I'll be looking to sell my GTS shortly.

Old May 17th, 2019, 05:54 AM   #9
n00b

Evilcactuar is unremarkable with 10 points
That guide is very helpful, thanks!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in