gtx3582r turbos? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

gtx3582r turbos?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

gtx3582r turbos?
Old December 4th, 2018, 02:48 PM   #1
Enthusiast

Domantas is well liked with 160 pointsDomantas is well liked with 160 points
gtx3582r turbos?

Im about to pull a trigger on getting my turbos for my stock bottom/footwell mount build. I have few deals lined up for me and I need to make my decision on a timely manner.

Garrett offers gtx3582r reverse rotation format turbos that can be ran in what some reffer a symetrical setup. I like the idea of it as fab work and fitment would be on par.

What can I expect in terms of performance by running these bb gtx3582r's? I know its a small turbo in Viper standards but say if I go 1.01 a/r on the turbine housing would that still give me a nice linear power curve on top without creating too much backpressure issues?

I know few cars run gt35's and if you happen to have any on hands experiance behind a gt35 car, please chime in.

Peppy 800whp but 1000hp capable setup on stock longblock and e85 is what im after.

Much much appreciated!!!

Last edited by Domantas; December 4th, 2018 at 02:54 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2018, 02:49 PM   #2
Enthusiast

These are the specs on gtx3582r:

Compressor Wheel Inducer: 66mm
Compressor Wheel Exducer: 82mm
Compressor Wheel Trim: 64
Compressor Housing A/R: 0.70

Turbine Wheel Inducer: 68mm
Turbine Wheel Exducer: 62mm
Turbine Wheel Trim: 84

Available in .61, .83 or 1.01 A/R turbine housings

turbos
Old December 4th, 2018, 03:03 PM   #3
Enthusiast

mashford is well liked with 160 pointsmashford is well liked with 160 points
turbos

For your power goals why not go with a Paxton set up. It has to be a huge discount compared to a twin snail setup. Are you fixed on turbos?

Old December 4th, 2018, 03:26 PM   #4
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashford View Post
For your power goals why not go with a Paxton set up. It has to be a huge discount compared to a twin snail setup. Are you fixed on turbos?
A twin Viper was my fetish for a very long time. In a perfect world turbo is more efficent system. I dont know the extent of wear and tear a Paxton motor would sustain at 1k but im sure there would be some belt and bearing issues in the long run. I will opt for Paxton if everything else fails.

Old December 4th, 2018, 03:53 PM   #5

b3rndtt0ast is not afraid of bears with 6762 pointsb3rndtt0ast is not afraid of bears with 6762 pointsb3rndtt0ast is not afraid of bears with 6762 pointsb3rndtt0ast is not afraid of bears with 6762 pointsb3rndtt0ast is not afraid of bears with 6762 pointsb3rndtt0ast is not afraid of bears with 6762 pointsb3rndtt0ast is not afraid of bears with 6762 pointsb3rndtt0ast is not afraid of bears with 6762 pointsb3rndtt0ast is not afraid of bears with 6762 pointsb3rndtt0ast is not afraid of bears with 6762 pointsb3rndtt0ast is not afraid of bears with 6762 points
Send a message via AIM to b3rndtt0ast
i just pulled the trigger on a JMB procharger F1-C might be worth the look for you. its seems like a good bridge between a paxton, and a turbo car

Old December 5th, 2018, 11:45 AM   #6
Doc
Gone Nomad

Doc is not afraid of bears with 47990 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 47990 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 47990 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 47990 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 47990 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 47990 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 47990 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 47990 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 47990 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 47990 pointsDoc is not afraid of bears with 47990 points
I haven't seen many stock longblocks for 1k on a SC.

750 whp with a SC is a pretty easy setup and might get you where you want from a driving perspective but I understand sometimes you just want what you want.

Old December 5th, 2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Enthusiast

Precision will be releasing their symmetrical turbos next year and it will be offered in 6266, 6466, and 7576. Im starting to lean to 7675 with it being a t4 format turbo. If I can squeeze it in, I think 7675 makes most sense on a large v10.

Have any of you seen pt7675 squezed in footwells? Keep in mind these are v band symmetricals that im after and im sure it gives me a lot of leverage in terms of fitment vs traditional non symmetrical turbos.

Old December 5th, 2018, 03:01 PM   #8
Enthusiast

Also... with 7675's... would I run in to issues with utilizing stock manifolds if I go with footwells? Or should I just go ahead and to front mounts and gravity feed?

Old December 6th, 2018, 03:45 PM   #9
Suspended

Lunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 points
I think your biggest problem with fitting in the foot-wells is going to be the compressor cover size and how the turbo supported or hangs from whatever you build off the stock headers.

I personally havn't even started my turbo build (So take this with a few grains of salt) but have all the parts and have done some test placement and im using a pair of T4 67mm turbos with .81 A/R hotsides.

Based on all the measurements i've done, those were the trouble areas. Running the pipes from the headers up under the turbos and supporting the turbos seems to be a decent way to do it but requires you to come off the header and do a 45 or 90 and then correct that and do a 90 straight into the turbo which sits on top and then downpipe should line up fairly close with the stock exhaust exit location.

Old December 6th, 2018, 08:12 PM   #10
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox View Post
I think your biggest problem with fitting in the foot-wells is going to be the compressor cover size and how the turbo supported or hangs from whatever you build off the stock headers.

I personally havn't even started my turbo build (So take this with a few grains of salt) but have all the parts and have done some test placement and im using a pair of T4 67mm turbos with .81 A/R hotsides.

Based on all the measurements i've done, those were the trouble areas. Running the pipes from the headers up under the turbos and supporting the turbos seems to be a decent way to do it but requires you to come off the header and do a 45 or 90 and then correct that and do a 90 straight into the turbo which sits on top and then downpipe should line up fairly close with the stock exhaust exit location.
Thanks for chiming in. In your opinion, which bank would be easier to plumb? The reason I ask is because Im going with a symmetrical turbo setup as stated before and I will have the advantage of being able to run my turbos in either orientation. Im sure these new mirror image turbos will be hot for gen v Viper kits.

I think I have my mind made up on pt7675 0.96 hot a/r turbos. Way big for a street car but based on what I gather my only downfall is fitment on running big turbo such as 7675 and many advantages over smaller t3's. I wish they had smaller compressor t4's in works. I just have to wait till January till they release 7675 reverse rotation version and get to town with them. I will end up buchering my $6k turbo covers if needs to be as those compressor covers on 7675's have some big in and outs ... trying to save the frame at all costs and I feel confident these new symmetricals will allow me to achieve that.

Old December 6th, 2018, 08:48 PM   #11

dirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11875 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11875 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11875 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11875 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11875 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11875 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11875 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11875 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11875 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11875 pointsdirtbag is not afraid of bears with 11875 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domantas View Post
Thanks for chiming in. In your opinion, which bank would be easier to plumb? The reason I ask is because Im going with a symmetrical turbo setup as stated before and I will have the advantage of being able to run my turbos in either orientation. Im sure these new mirror image turbos will be hot for gen v Viper kits.

I think I have my mind made up on pt7675 0.96 hot a/r turbos. Way big for a street car but based on what I gather my only downfall is fitment on running big turbo such as 7675 and many advantages over smaller t3's. I wish they had smaller compressor t4's in works. I just have to wait till January till they release 7675 reverse rotation version and get to town with them. I will end up buchering my $6k turbo covers if needs to be as those compressor covers on 7675's have some big in and outs ... trying to save the frame at all costs and I feel confident these new symmetricals will allow me to achieve that.

When you begin, create a build thread. I may be interested in changing my setup if I don't first spend a bunch of money on an FD RX-7.

Old December 7th, 2018, 04:10 PM   #12
Suspended

Lunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 pointsLunchbox is The Man with 2260 points
Quote:

They're both about the same really. I Think you'll have more room between the header/AC components and such on the passenger side in that area, but doesnt matter so much if you intend to do footwell mounting and have to cut the wheel wells to send intercooler piping to the front. That seems to be the way most of the kits have done it in the past from what ive seen.

The oiling is another chore to look into also since mounting them in the footwells wont allow for gravity drain usually.

I personally like engine bay mount, but.. i cant find a setup in the engine bay that doesnt make me cringe when the turbine housings are soo close to the hood itself or the fuse boxes and bottom line just fits without hacking up the car and removing things that the car should be keeping (a/c, ps)

Old December 7th, 2018, 06:15 PM   #13
Enthusiast

The plan is to use scavange pumps. It will consist a breater between pump and turbo to eliminate vaccum created in a turbo bearing.

I would love top side mounts but as you stated... it would hurt.

I am curently working with some industrial engineers that do one off 3d printed sand cast prototypes to possibly create cast iron up pipes. Might even try some 3d printed lost wax casting myself. Technology advanced so much these days... Koenigsegg 3d prints their production turbo housings and im sure those Sema displayed pt6765's were as well. Fun stuff.

Old December 7th, 2018, 06:18 PM   #14
Enthusiast

https://youtu.be/3nITCKeD_b0

Old December 18th, 2018, 12:15 PM   #15
Suspended

Quote:
The plan is to use scavange pumps. It will consist a breater between pump and turbo to eliminate vaccum created in a turbo bearing.

I would love top side mounts but as you stated... it would hurt.

I am curently working with some industrial engineers that do one off 3d printed sand cast prototypes to possibly create cast iron up pipes. Might even try some 3d printed lost wax casting myself. Technology advanced so much these days... Koenigsegg 3d prints their production turbo housings and im sure those Sema displayed pt6765's were as well. Fun stuff.
Very cool! Keep us posted if this ends up happening and what you come up with.

Old December 18th, 2018, 05:24 PM   #16

Torquemonster is not afraid of bears with 3191 pointsTorquemonster is not afraid of bears with 3191 pointsTorquemonster is not afraid of bears with 3191 pointsTorquemonster is not afraid of bears with 3191 pointsTorquemonster is not afraid of bears with 3191 pointsTorquemonster is not afraid of bears with 3191 pointsTorquemonster is not afraid of bears with 3191 pointsTorquemonster is not afraid of bears with 3191 pointsTorquemonster is not afraid of bears with 3191 pointsTorquemonster is not afraid of bears with 3191 pointsTorquemonster is not afraid of bears with 3191 points
Your original plan re twin GTX35R's using a symmetrical setup is a good one at the power level you want. Personally I'd go for the older GT3582R because they achieve a compressor efficiency of 79% vs 76% and run more efficient pockets right across the lower boost areas you will want to be in. The GTX does not shine until 30psi+ and up there you'd be making 1500+hp and blow up lol

I was there in 2003 when Sal P dyno'd his (then) completely stock GTS make 1000rwhp using GT35R's. It took 20psi boost to make that. 800rw will take around 14psi +/- if no mods at all

Twin 7675's will require such low boost to net your goals they will be virtually off the compressor map for efficiency for most street driving. They're what you want for the big power pulls and top end runs, but the difficulty in fitting them is not justified in your application imo.

800rwhp is the sweet spot for using all it has from 2nd gear with sticky tires, the GT3582's will spool almost instantly, and give you a mid range no blower can hope to match. They'll be very usable and match what you want to achieve. The bigger ones will have the top end but nothing close to the bottom end.... if you drove both you'd take the smaller imo. Bigger ones will create less back pressure but if you run 1.01 AR on the 3582's backpressure will not be an issue for you in the boost you'll be running

A buddy's SRT10 had twin Gt35R's fitted in 2003. Car is still running strong and power is insanely useable and strong from the moment you throttle it. I project managed that car (but did not build or tune it) and had CP pistons made to match the heads (they mirrored a reverse chamber which was cutting edge back then), Swain coated TBC on them (also on heads and ports and valves) and friction coated the skirts, c.r. was set at 9.5:1 and quench set to 0.0375". The original plumbing left a bit to be desired, and the tune was off (along with the false high/low boost switch which was a complete fraud as it went no where), but all that has been fixed and car goes better now than it ever has... 15 years later.

Last edited by Torquemonster; December 18th, 2018 at 05:30 PM.

Old December 18th, 2018, 09:03 PM   #17
Enthusiast

^^^ makes 6466 t3 1.05 a/r an obvious choice for me. Thanks for your input gents!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« Heads | Perspective »