Overheating AND no heater - Page 2 - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Overheating AND no heater

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old July 10th, 2018, 09:37 AM   #21
n00b

ilyas is a B-Teamer with 60 points
Maybe. First time this happened (beginning of thread), the water pump was clearly bad - the impeller was separated and spinning on its bolt. This time, who knows. I'll take the water pump off again to see if it's an obvious issue again.

One other unique thing is that when i drive the car aggressively, the idle sticks and keeps climbing to 4k+ until i shut the car off.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 10th, 2018, 09:53 AM   #22

slothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 points
if it is a HG, oil will look milky and you will get some white exhaust smoke. Does sound very weird the water pump would go out so soon. are you using a GOOD water temp gauge? I would install a new digital one.

Old July 10th, 2018, 11:36 AM   #23
Landscaping Professional

GTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60725 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60725 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60725 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60725 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60725 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60725 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60725 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60725 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60725 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60725 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60725 points
Agreed on checking the oil. Dipstick should indicate milky/foamed oil. If still suspect, warm the engine fully, then carefully grab a small drain sample in a clear jar. Let it cool to ambient overnight and see if there's any water separation.

You still need to absolutely, positively be certain you have bled and burped all the air from the coolant circuits, and be sure the pressure cap is working correctly.

Idle hang could be either the IAC stepper motor's pintle sticking, or deteriorating intake gaskets causing an uncontrolled leak. It happened to my car (gasket).

Old July 10th, 2018, 01:16 PM   #24

slothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 pointsslothman is not afraid of bears with 3764 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
Agreed on checking the oil. Dipstick should indicate milky/foamed oil. If still suspect, warm the engine fully, then carefully grab a small drain sample in a clear jar. Let it cool to ambient overnight and see if there's any water separation.

You still need to absolutely, positively be certain you have bled and burped all the air from the coolant circuits, and be sure the pressure cap is working correctly.

Idle hang could be either the IAC stepper motor's pintle sticking, or deteriorating intake gaskets causing an uncontrolled leak. It happened to my car (gasket).
great point on the air bubbles. That is a simple check.

Old July 10th, 2018, 06:07 PM   #25

2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points
So different solution to the same potential symptoms.

I had this exact same issue, ran fine didn't overheat etc. But once I got on it hard, aggressive driving or stop go traffic... however my heater core worked.

Once the temp climbed above 220ish it would just skyrocket.

Problem was the high speed fan portion of the fan motor was burnt out. So when the car went into high speed fan mode, fan would just stop. Issue is the high speed fan is a different electrical circuit.

You can easily test this, get the car up to the 230F mark and then pull over and listen for the fan running, pop hood etc. It should be quite loud, if the fan is not running could be fan motor, high speed fan circuit, or the fan fuse.

You can also just jumper the relay and see if the fan runs, or simply open up the relay and close the fuse using a pencil etc.

Old July 11th, 2018, 04:34 PM   #26
n00b

ilyas is a B-Teamer with 60 points
I will check the fans this time for sure. I specifically checked for functionality of the fans first time this issue happened, and both high speed and low speed worked.

Interesting approach to testing for water in oil - I'll try that if fans work.

As for bleeding the system, all I did was fill the tank + overflow tank, started the car, and added fluid as needed until no more was needed. Theoretically this should be enough for this system. Do you guys do something more? I know Roe sells a bleeder, but this system shouldn't need one. I bought a new cap as well - didn't help.

Last edited by ilyas; July 11th, 2018 at 04:42 PM.

Old July 11th, 2018, 09:08 PM   #27

"Fill the cooling system
Fill the overflow bottle half full with coolant/water
Ensure the heater control valve is in the open position (turn the heater on)
Open the bleeder valve on the upper radiator hose
Slowly fill the coolant pressure bottle with coolant/water
Continue filling the cooling system (this process goes very slow towards the end) until the coolant/water level is just below the level of the drain to the overflow bottle
Fill until the coolant/water semi-fills the upper radiator hose or you just can't get any more in the coolant pressure bottle
Close the bleeder valve in the upper radiator hoss
Remove the shop towels that were protecting the accessory drive belt and pulleys
Install the cap on the coolant pressure bottle
Start the engine and let it run for a few minutes to get it warm (100+ degrees, the thermostat won’t open until the engine temperature gets above 190 or so), to pressurize the system and move the air into the upper radiator hose
Turn off the engine
Place a shop towel under the upper radiator hose bleed valve
Open the valve in the upper radiator hose to bleed any trapped air in the cooling system
Add coolant/water to the pressure coolant tank
Close the bleeder valve in the upper radiator hose
Remove the shop towel that is under the upper radiator hose bleed valve
Repeat: start, stop, bleed, add coolant/water"
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in