Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Viper Discussions - Gen I & II (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dan Lesser is a Viper GOD! (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260905)

GTS Dean October 17th, 2016 07:24 PM

Dan Lesser is a Viper GOD!

Through 3 months of major suspension/brake and minor engine work, new exhaust system, a full underbody detail, suspension and bodywork alignment - my car was ready to fire up and take for a spin around the block for a systems check. :D

After a week of trying to diagnose a no-start condition, I popped smoke and called in tactical support. I described my situation in detail, along with the symptoms and DRB readings. I tried multiple things and we emailed several times over the weekend. Dan then suggested something that was so far-fetched and outlandish that I kept dismissing the unthinkable until it was about the only thing I HADN'T tried...:arcade:

I pulled a valve cover and checked for valve operation. There was none.

I am demoralized and my spirit is crushed. I have to take the fucker back apart again.:cursin:

That is all. :(

dave6666 October 17th, 2016 07:33 PM

You forgot to put the cam in?

dave6666 October 17th, 2016 07:35 PM

Or timing chain?

GTS Dean October 17th, 2016 07:43 PM

I never took the cam out, and only checked the chain for stretch. I don't know if the cam bolt broke, or the camshaft broke. All I can think of is it may be related to trying to get 250 lb-ft on the crank bolt after re-sealing the timing cover. I had the SOB idling in the driveway while flushing the cooling system and the damn thing just quit running. It never would re-fire.

Hell - I'm the only person I know that ever had an automotive camshaft quit working as a root failure cause.

dave6666 October 17th, 2016 07:55 PM

Let me know if you need a new cam sensor :)

GTS Dean October 17th, 2016 08:18 PM

Your offer is very kind. Hopefully, I won't need it because it still shows a synch signal after about 1 rev and the plugs are firing.

71firebird400 October 17th, 2016 08:52 PM

Wow, what a fluke. Let us know what happened when you get it apart!

Ramtuff October 17th, 2016 08:54 PM

Probably sheared bolts and pin, Hopefully the cam is not too messed up, good luck!

slowturbocar October 18th, 2016 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTS Dean (Post 4113497)

Hell - I'm the only person I know that ever had an automotive camshaft quit working as a root failure cause.

I had a SBF years ago with a new Comp cam that broke the pin,was idling ok then put a few rpms to it and it just died. Took about 20min to figure it out (poped open the distributor cap and the rotor wasn't spinning) cause there's a distinct difference in engine sound when it turns over but it only bent a few valves.

plumcrazy October 18th, 2016 05:12 AM

that sucks dean. good luck

Chuck 98 RT10 October 18th, 2016 08:01 AM

Bump for Dan Lesser. He's been around a long time. I've never had to call on him but I'm sure the day will come.

Whitebeard October 18th, 2016 09:08 AM

I've talked to him several times, helping him on different topics. He is more than patient and helpful, even to a noob.

He and his staff are quite friendly. I can't say enough about them.

dave6666 October 18th, 2016 09:13 AM

I like him. I mean, why wouldn't I. He's been tuning on my car for 17 years. We'll have it perfect in just 5 more years. Maybe 8 :D

Final GTS October 18th, 2016 10:30 AM

This is one of those situations where I was hoping I was wrong. I actually alluded to this being the problem in the first e-mail when I was saying "I had an idea, but didn't want to say anything without more info" as this was basically a worst case scenario.

In any event, I hope you keep us updated on what you find. This is not the first time I have seen this... this would be the third time.

Wayne64ss October 18th, 2016 02:14 PM

Dude wtf!!!! That sucks.

Viper Pilot October 18th, 2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Final GTS (Post 4113897)
This is one of those situations where I was hoping I was wrong. I actually alluded to this being the problem in the first e-mail when I was saying "I had an idea, but didn't want to say anything without more info" as this was basically a worst case scenario.

In any event, I hope you keep us updated on what you find. This is not the first time I have seen this... this would be the third time.

Were the other occurrences identical failure modes? Sheared timing gear bolts? Broken cam?

Drlee50 October 18th, 2016 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTS Dean (Post 4113497)
I never took the cam out, and only checked the chain for stretch. I don't know if the cam bolt broke, or the camshaft broke. All I can think of is it may be related to trying to get 250 lb-ft on the crank bolt after re-sealing the timing cover. I had the SOB idling in the driveway while flushing the cooling system and the damn thing just quit running. It never would re-fire.

I totally had the same issue once. The little pin that comes out of the cam into the cam gear broke off. to the gear spun but the cam didnt. I went to a cam that requires 3 bolts now! LOL

Same situation as you...pulled car out to wash it. couldnt restart it. I was like how the F??!

plumcrazy October 18th, 2016 05:58 PM

not once did dan ever help me....not once !

of course i never asked him for help either

ViperTony October 18th, 2016 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6666 (Post 4113833)
I like him. I mean, why wouldn't I. He's been tuning on my car for 17 years. We'll have it perfect in just 5 more years. Maybe 8 :D

So T Minus???

Dan is good people.

Final GTS October 18th, 2016 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper Pilot (Post 4114401)
Were the other occurrences identical failure modes? Sheared timing gear bolts? Broken cam?

One case was loose timing gear bolt and sheared dowel pin, the other was a seized camshaft that resulted in the same.