Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

VEC to SCT

2K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Final GTS 
#1 ·
I hope this doesn't turn into a shit storm but how hard is it going to be for me to change from a VEC two to a SCT? I'm considering it because of lack of support for the VEC.

#22 ·
Hate to gloat...but I think I can in this thread since I was once of the first to independently go from the VEC to SCT on a supercharged car...and figure it all out myself to boot (Thanks to the SCT and Pro Racer software deals out there at the time). Dan Lesser was in the process of posting some great info for the DIY SCT community but got frustrated by all those that wanted his IP for free. Can't blame him for backing out of the on-line DIY tuning feeding frenzy. But back to the OP...its easy (relatively speaking) to go from a VEC to SCT...not withstanding some of the limited definition fields you have to slog through in the SCT software. And I'm pretty sure you can't go with low impedance injectors with the SCT....since I stayed with the high impedance with my set-up. VEC has the piggyback injector box you can use with low impedance injectors....so some use the VEC for that and the MAP offset, then the SCT for the actual tune.

#24 · (Edited)
Just to add a few points:

1. *IF* you have a very good grasp of the tuning process and how the JTEC works, it is not that hard to make a car run decently well on SCT and make the switch. However, getting it to run properly in all scenarios is easier said than done, and there are numerous tables in the SCT that most people dont even know the operation of. If you are even the least bit leery of what you see in SCT Advantage software, you are over your head, especially when mixing 2-bar and/or head/cam/injector changes into the mix. Most people end up relying very heavily on adaptive trim, and thats a bad idea in the long term.

2. Running low-Z injectors on a resistor box is like shooting a pistol at a 500 yard range. It simply makes no sense. Its a cheap way to get cheap injectors to work.......like shit. The whole point of a low-Z injector is to use more current to operate at faster speeds. Limit their current, and they end up SLOWER than high-Z injectors. Simply put, without a driver box or a low-Z capable circuit, there is zero point to using them, and they actually become a detriment at lower pulsewidths.

That said, newer high-Z injectors are faster than most older low-Z injectors. There is almost no reason to run low-Z injectors these days, unless you are running some absolutely huge injectors with crazy fuel pressures, or you have a low-z capable setup and have a line on some high quality low-z injectors by chance.

3. I still, to this day frequently run across missing and incorrect values in SCT. If you dont know what you are looking for, you may not even realize something you need is unavailable. Its a pain in the ass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.