Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

tired of tinkering...where can I take my car in Atlanta

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  1badvr4 
#1 ·
I'm tired of dealing with this pos car...its been a year of rough idling and CEL at idle, I've done the obvious stuff, looked into a few other things...Who will do this crap for me somewhere near Atlanta? I'm tired of dealing with the stupid shit on this car, from the stupid battery behind the wheel, the IAC under the windshield cowl on the back of the motor, to the fuck-tarded way the door panels have to come off. I'm too busy for this...

#4 ·
I'd be curious what all you've done to try and fix your issue. I scrolled through your 59 posts to date and it looks like you've done something to the IAC and changed the battery? Did I capture the entire gist of your efforts? Which if that's the case, you really haven't done much, and now you're bailing out?

Sell the fucking car man. Buy a Mustang or Camaro.

#7 ·
Yeah I did the IAC, throttle body re-sync, battery myself, had my wires and plugs checked out, but my shop won't go any further than that with this car. Just messing with small other projects myself..I've just gotten frustrated with the time it takes to do the work. I hate having to stop mid project. The stereo took me 2 days where it would typically take 2hrs...I dont have 2 days, and my stereo guy was afraid to touch my car

#15 ·
No exp with shops in ATL but did the CEL start before or after your straight pipe mod? Could be an o2 issue which could also cause a rough idle.

What code is the car throwing?

#17 ·
Post the code. This should be an easy one. You're basically looking at bad o2 sensors or maybe even just a bad IAT sensor. Mine idled like shit before I changed mine, last owner had a fucking coolant temp sensor stuck in there...anyway... Do you have black shit all over your bumper? What does a normal heat look like for your car? Any leaks?

Answer the questions we post. It may be trivial to you, but the more details you give the quicker the Alley WILL solve your problems.

Also, take a pic of your tach while its idling "low". I'd like to see what you're reading.

Autozone if you don't have a basic code reader, and if you don't: may god have mercy on your soul.

#19 ·
There are no codes. No black on bumper, temp is at 190-200 under normal driving or up to 220 before fan kicks in in stopped traffic or idling for a while. Zero leaks. I can get pics later, but idle is between half way up to 750, up till slightly under 750. CEL only blips on a for that small amount of time at a light or when slowing down to idle. The very second I apply the gas..its back off

#21 ·
That really doesn't make sense. If the CEL light comes on (even if it turns off later) it should store a code.

From what you describe it almost sounds like an alternator going out. The volts may be getting to low while at idle throwing the warning light and then when you give it more gas the volts go back up to an acceptable level and the light turns off.

Also, 750 is not a low idle. Can't speak for a Gen1 but my Gen 2 idles at 500 rpm.

#20 ·
Pull the code while the cel is on, so, at idle. Also, MANY basic handheld obd2 scanners will alert you to prior codes (mine does), probably, for instances just like this.

I mean, we can't want to fix your heap moAr than you do bruah.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.