Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Viper Discussions - Gen I & II (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How to remove spare tire bolt(threaded part) (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253266)

Jeremias06 June 20th, 2016 06:42 AM

How to remove spare tire bolt(threaded part)

Just trying to make extra room for my sub and also I can't picture myself installing the bike tire as a spare if I run into a flat.

The bolt sticking out is preventing me to put the box in. Anyone removed this and how?

dave6666 June 20th, 2016 08:17 AM

It goes in from underneath the car. You have to pull the rear heat shield. And probably the rear muffler or pipes. Whatever you have back there. Mine was easy because I have side exhaust and none of that shit was in the way when I deleted the spare and got the SRT goo pump instead.

sassafras June 20th, 2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6666 (Post 3980106)
It goes in from underneath the car. You have to pull the rear heat shield. And probably the rear muffler or pipes. Whatever you have back there. Mine was easy because I have side exhaust and none of that shit was in the way when I deleted the spare and got the SRT goo pump instead.

Are there different variations of that spare tire hold down bolt? I've got a 96 GTS and when I pulled the rear carpet it literally just slid right out.

dave6666 June 20th, 2016 10:57 AM

Pretty sure there's a cable spanning the frame rails that it attaches to. Maybe it's a later thing. When the EPA was trying to save more children from flying spare tires.

ZZ SRT June 20th, 2016 11:12 AM

Yeah, on my 97 GTS it's just in a groove and you twist it 90 degrees and slide it down the track and out. Super simple once you realize that's how it works.

dave6666 June 20th, 2016 11:36 AM

You can see the cable I'm talking about here. Maybe they all have that. Dunno. Can't remember how the bolt came out. Too many dead brain cells ago.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...psaeqljsyh.jpg

Chuck 98 RT10 June 20th, 2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6666 (Post 3980426)
When the EPA was trying to save more children from flying spare tires.

That's not the EPA you children-hating bozo. It's the NHTSA. Jeeze. You're probably against speed bumps too.

ZZ SRT June 20th, 2016 02:14 PM

I most certainly do not have that cable in my car. Maybe someone cut it off at some point, or earlier cars didn't come with them.

MH60M June 21st, 2016 09:09 AM

I have the cable in my 01 GTS. Its just holding the spare tire BRACKET & tub assy. The actual threaded bolt comes out of the bracket from the inside of the truck/hatch of the car. Twist-n-slide to out.........as previously mentioned.

ishootstuff June 21st, 2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZ SRT (Post 3980770)
I most certainly do not have that cable in my car. Maybe someone cut it off at some point, or earlier cars didn't come with them.

I definitely have that cable on my 96 RT, though I have never removed the heat shield to see what it attaches to.

dave6666 June 22nd, 2016 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishootstuff (Post 3981378)
I definitely have that cable on my 96 RT, though I have never removed the heat shield to see what it attaches to.

I saved at least 1-1/2 pounds pulling that lightweight shield out :lol:

White Out June 23rd, 2016 09:42 AM

Pull the carpet up and you'll see how it slides out. Takes 5 min or less to remove.