AC trouble shooting beyond the o-rings - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

AC trouble shooting beyond the o-rings

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old January 29th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #1
Enthusiast

Kanaljen is definately a better person than you are with 397 pointsKanaljen is definately a better person than you are with 397 pointsKanaljen is definately a better person than you are with 397 pointsKanaljen is definately a better person than you are with 397 points

So, my AC doesnít blow super cold anymore. I know, super sexy topic..

I bought some Freon with a gauge and realize that I had adequate pressure on the low pressure side.

About 2 years ago when I had some other work done, the shop vacuumed and refilled the system; so it appears not to be leaking.

The compressor is turning on.

My question: Other than replacing all those 0-rings, what else can be done to bring the system back to stuff? What are some other typical failure points and how do I test them?

Thanks for any help!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #2

dave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 points
You need the pressure on the discharge side too. Does your fan come on to high speed with the a/c being turned on?

Old January 30th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #3
n00b

ACR 99 is unremarkable with 10 points
Why do you think you need to replace o rings? Their job is to keep the system from leaking. If it's not leaking then no need to replace them.

Old January 30th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Enthusiast

Kanaljen is definately a better person than you are with 397 pointsKanaljen is definately a better person than you are with 397 pointsKanaljen is definately a better person than you are with 397 pointsKanaljen is definately a better person than you are with 397 points
Thanks Dave, I'll check on the fan and report back.

I just mentioned the O-rings since they are by far the most mentioned culprit and wanted to stress that Iím looking to understand more about all other failure/maintenance points in the system.
Since my system doesnít seem to be leaking, only if I need to take things apart would I replace them.
Thanks!

Old January 30th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #5

dave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 points
You need to confirm the high pressure side is correct to confirm both that it's not leaking and that the compressor is compressing.

Old January 30th, 2016, 11:10 AM   #6
Enthusiast

Just sharing what I found over at the Viperclub forums...

Damn, I do a lot myself but this might be a job for a shop if the easy stuff are ruled out..

From Dave - 2BADD -4U:
First off....... to properly diagnose the systems operation ( efficiency ) a manifold gauge set should be connected to BOTH high and LOW sides of your ac system. Or as some call it the discharge and suction sides. This will immediately tell how the compressor is pumping, as your problem can be related to leaky valves of worn internal parts, identical to a cars engine...compression, etc. A normal operating system on a hot day with R-134a refrigerant would be "approx". 200#-275# high side and 30#-40# pressure low side. With a clear sight glass of course. Any bubbles indicate a low charge. To service the system properly for leaks; involves pressurizing the system with ref. or nitrogen, with a trace of r-134a and leak checking the complete system carefully. Gen 2 vipers had a prone leak on the schraeder valve stem fitting on the low side. Under the black plastic seal cap. The suction side or low side is always the larger line on the compressor and system, and the high or discharge lines are smaller and get extremely hot. The gauge fitting is a much smaller thread also, Guys years ago were hooking up small walmart ref. 12 cans to the high side and essentially had a hand grenade in their hands,as the higher discharge pressures would fill the can and tear it to pieces. NOT PRETTY!

The expansion valve rarely fails, but it can... most likely it gets restricted with debris, or moisture, causing freezing, as the oriface is the smallest passage thru out the whole system.

Note: with both gauges installed and while monitoring both pressures, have someone shut the ac off. Carefully watch the reaction of the presures, now ..IF you get an "immediate" equalization of the pressures, most likely the compressor is the culprit, and valves are worn badly, the compresor will not pump efficiently. With LOWER high side and HIGHER low side pressures. NOTE: That is NOT a way to check the expansion valve operation, as mentioned prior. With a working expansion valve, and good compressor efficiency, your low side pressures will always be 40# and much less. Also Lower with an increase in engine rpm.

Remember that refrigerant pressures and temperatures are ALWAYS linear all the time. Meaning Equal rises and drops in sequence to each other. A rise in pressures gives a rise in temps. and vice versa. Also be sure to check the low pressure safety cutoff switch, as they do fail, and can give a compressor short cycling operation. If you notice that the suction pressure goes up and down every few seconds, sometimes longer...you are either low on refrigerant, have a faulty/erratic low pressure switch, or a restriction in the system internally at the expansion valve.

It is difficult to hear the compressor short cycling because of the loud exhaust on all vipers, vs. normal quite cars, say like my Chevy Tahoe.

It is possible to have internal restrictions else where in the system but highly unlikely as the tubing has larger diameters. Bad condensors were mentioned above, but usually referred to LEAKS. Depending on the leak location, repairs can be attempted. And always a removal from the car is needed.

Always change the drier if the system has been prone to a history of leaks and ref. charges. As far as the expansion valve operation, you can tell by the system pressures. Also if your compressor is in-efficient your high side pressures will be lower than normal and your low , suction side will be higher than normal...example 125# and 80#...+ or -.

Usually if you see oil anywhere on the ac system or lines, it is a sure indicator of a ref. leak.

also under the hood rear the passenger side firewall on your gts, check the heater hose butterfly valve mechanism. its should be fully closed, or it may possibly let the hot antifreeze mixture flow thru the heater coil, eventually lowering your cooling effect. work the hot/cool dash control knobs and simulate hot/cool, and you can easily verify the flow or non flow of antifreeze.

also your ac system works its most efficient is during highway cruises...65-75mph not during idling. to check for a full charge have someone rev the motor to approx 1500-2000 rpms and check the site glass.

your ac system when operating properly, will have the suction lines being ice cold and sweating, dripping a lot of water drops. also check your condenser coil for any obstructions, example plastic wal mart bags, leaves, etc road debris. visibly check the condenser coil for blockage with bugs, insects, etc. if blocked, GENTLY rinse with a hose note GENTLY ...condenser coils rarely have problems with refrigerant flow,as the tubing is of good size. Unless your compressor lets loose and internally sends debris into the system, the coil rarely gets internally blocked, same with evaporator coil. External blockage is more prone to be causing a problem, as it will increase your high side pressure dramatically, also increasing your low/suction pressures which will in effect give less cooling effect. if you notice ice anywhere during system operation, there is a restriction or lack of refrigerant.

Try to stay away from the QUICK fixes like adding sealant or leak stoppers, as your systems oil, and lines become coated, especially the evaporator cooling coil, reducing thermal heat transfer....almost like using a can of fix a flat for tires.

also, place a pocket type pencil thermometer in the air vents, to check discharge air temp. will vary with o.a. temps, but generally will be between 48-60 degrees.from the vents, fan on high, increase engine rpms, and make sure that all condenser/radiator fans are all working properly!

the best way to confidently and accurately know the proper ref. charge is to evacuate the system and then weigh in the nameplate ref 134a charge with an accurate ref. weighing scale.

Hope this helps!

Old January 30th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #7

2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaljen View Post
Thanks Dave, I'll check on the fan and report back.
I thought of a great trouble shooting point.

Why don't you buy these and report back.
AC Gauges - Save on this AC Manifold Gauge Set

Can't believe nobody has asked to check and compare the high and low sides with the system running on full.

Old January 31st, 2016, 09:08 AM   #8

2Luke2 is definately JV with 326 points2Luke2 is definately JV with 326 points2Luke2 is definately JV with 326 points2Luke2 is definately JV with 326 points
We have AC?

Old January 31st, 2016, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001GTS View Post
Can't believe nobody has asked to check and compare the high and low sides with the system running on full.
I have. Twice now lol.

Looks like we have a sinful7 clone in the makings...

Old January 31st, 2016, 04:00 PM   #10
Enthusiast

river rat is unremarkable with 10 points
Everyone is gonna tell you all kinds of "helpful" info and tell you how you can fix it yorself. I had zero experience working on ac, so I let Morgan at viper exchange handle it.

Old January 31st, 2016, 04:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat View Post
Everyone is gonna tell you all kinds of "helpful" info and tell you how you can fix it yorself. I had zero experience working on ac, so I let Morgan at viper exchange handle it.
Which make the first half of your statement stupid. And with intent to insult those that do know how to fix shit.

Neg rep for the attempted insult.

Old January 31st, 2016, 05:26 PM   #12
Enthusiast

river rat is unremarkable with 10 points
No attempted insult. I was simply letting him know that he won't be the only one to have his ac fixed by an experienced mechanic.

Old January 31st, 2016, 07:40 PM   #13

2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points2001GTS is not afraid of bears with 4101 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by river rat View Post
I had zero experience working on ac

So this make the above qualified to even comment?

Dude, I one time I felt sorry for dude at Hi Lo cuz he didn't have moe money.

Bro, buie this shat can coze over for a brew.
Bring tha nattie lite and wez fizxt u write up za.

30 min lat eur hees b ownz his waie.

And it wuz done like bakon on a grittle.

River Rat,
A/C is stupid easy thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in