I haven't gotten into the garage near as much as I would like the last couple months. Part of that is due to laziness, loss of motivation, and part of it just being busy with other responsibilities.
Either way, I'm starting to realize I'm running out of time quickly before spring and need to get my butt in gear so I've started to work a little more on this lately.
A good majority of my time has gone to figuring out how to TIG weld. Having never done it before, and no one to critique my technique, other than me watching youtube videos, and going off of weld appearance, it has been interesting to say the least. I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of it, and now am just working on positioning in odd weld positions because that's how most of my welding will be done on the manifolds I need to make.
In the meantime, I've messed around with other parts of the build. Here's a few small updates.
So I had this crazy idea to use the sway bar to mount the turbo. At first pass, yes I realize that sounds ridiculous. Where my turbo is sitting, the sway bar goes directly underneath. This is by far the closest thing I have to mount to. To come off the engine block or frame rails, I would have to cantilever a bracket and it would be cumbersome and inefficient.
Here's my thought for the turbo mount. My turbo is v-band on the compressor and exhaust so there is no flange to use, so it will force me to use the oil drain.
The idea here is that the sway bar mounts will sit on the sway bar, and will fully support the turbo in the vertical direction. This will keep the cantilevered force of the heavy turbo off the manifolds.
In the side to side (engine loading), and fore-aft (manifold growth), the poly mounts will allow some flexibility to keep from cracking the manifolds.
I test fitted the turbo, and it worked great, and was allowing plenty of flex. For some reason I completely forgot to take a picture of it mounted and this was about a month ago so no dice on getting another one.
now that I have confirmed the idea will work, I will test out my new welding skills and make one out of steel.
The OEM front end harness runs directly through the front of the engine bay where my turbo/hotside/downpipe will be. Instead of trying to add heat shielding, or another messy fix, I decided it would be easier just to get it out of the way completely.
Step 1: remove the junk, corrugated tubing and unwrap the OEM wiring tape.
Step 2: Document every gauge and color of the wires you need to extend/move.
Step 3: Purchase every color/gauge you need. I unfortunately had to order 10 feet of every color when I really only needed about 3 feet of each.
Step 4: Unplug the battery, and snip away (after carefully deciding where you want the break to be)
I had multiple colors where there was 2,3, or 4 wires of the same gauge and color so I had to tape those and mark each side to ensure they went back correctly.
Step 5: Re-routed the back-half of the harness so I knew how long I needed to extend each wire. I will be running these around the front of the radiator and behind the crash tube.
Step 6: Extend each wire by soldering, and heat shrinking. I used a soldering station, and marine heat shrink to ensure no moisture can get into the connections.
Step 7: Make it pretty again by looming with new harness tape.
Step 8: Figure out your routing, so before soldering back together, you can cut to the correct length
Step 9: Solder and marine heat shrink all connections back together. At this point, for better accessibility, I also started covering my new harness routing in protective tubing. This is the meshed expandable kind, not the corrugated plastic.
Step 10: Tape harness and wrap with expandable mesh cover.
I also 3D printed some clips to hold it to the crash bar. I haven't installed them yet so I'll take a picture once they are in.
No more harness in my way! YAY!