ZZ's '97 GTS- Single Turbo Build - Page 11 - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

ZZ's '97 GTS- Single Turbo Build

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old September 19th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #201

ZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED_A_GTS View Post
I never had a good experience with that DEI titanium header wrap. More expensive and it literally turns into toilet paper after a few heat cycles and falls apart...
Thanks for the advice. Maybe that's just on lawnmower engines.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #202
Enthusiast

NEED_A_GTS is well liked with 150 pointsNEED_A_GTS is well liked with 150 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ SRT View Post
Thanks for the advice. Maybe that's just on lawnmower engines.
If thats what you call pro street cars sure. By comparison yours would be a model toy car.

Old September 19th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #203
Enthusiast

NEED_A_GTS is well liked with 150 pointsNEED_A_GTS is well liked with 150 points
But don't take my word for it...

Old September 19th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #204

ZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 points
Quote:
If thats what you call pro street cars sure. By comparison yours would be a model toy car.
Thanks for stopping by. Maybe you and Paolo can hang out and discuss how my whole car is going to fall apart with all the design flaws and use of incorrect materials

Old September 19th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #205

Drlee50 is not afraid of bears with 4204 pointsDrlee50 is not afraid of bears with 4204 pointsDrlee50 is not afraid of bears with 4204 pointsDrlee50 is not afraid of bears with 4204 pointsDrlee50 is not afraid of bears with 4204 pointsDrlee50 is not afraid of bears with 4204 pointsDrlee50 is not afraid of bears with 4204 pointsDrlee50 is not afraid of bears with 4204 pointsDrlee50 is not afraid of bears with 4204 pointsDrlee50 is not afraid of bears with 4204 pointsDrlee50 is not afraid of bears with 4204 points
The inferno wrap DEI makes does hold up better thank the titanium. Its true. I just rewrapped my down pipe last night. The titanium stuff holds up best if you spray paint it with DEI paint and then seal it with their silicone spray. I speak from experience but you will figure it out.

Its hard to say how the TB silicone will do. I have had K and N filters melt that were of equal distance to the DP in my set up prior to actually using a inconnel heat shield. The reducer U-I use feeding into the turbo from the K and N heal up ok tho. That material is better than the K and N rubber for sure. Being in an open space maybe it will be fine. But as Paolo said, even extending the aluminum pipe a bit longer and cutting a few more inches off the TB rubber would protect it better.

Great Job! cant wait to see it run!

Old September 19th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #206
Enthusiast

PaulP is definately JV with 259 pointsPaulP is definately JV with 259 pointsPaulP is definately JV with 259 points
Quote:
I never had a good experience with that DEI titanium header wrap. More expensive and it literally turns into toilet paper after a few heat cycles and falls apart...
Works exactly like its meant for, For me Zero issues !

Old September 19th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #207

I have lots of hot rod friends with it currently trying on their turbo setups, some daily driven rain or shine, and no issues for years. I can't believe anyone would still buy it if it falls apart after a few days.

Old September 19th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #208

slowturbocar made Varsity with 1186 pointsslowturbocar made Varsity with 1186 pointsslowturbocar made Varsity with 1186 pointsslowturbocar made Varsity with 1186 pointsslowturbocar made Varsity with 1186 pointsslowturbocar made Varsity with 1186 pointsslowturbocar made Varsity with 1186 pointsslowturbocar made Varsity with 1186 pointsslowturbocar made Varsity with 1186 points
Quote:
I have lots of hot rod friends with it currently trying on their turbo setups, some daily driven rain or shine, and no issues for years. I can't believe anyone would still buy it if it falls apart after a few days.
It wont literally fall apart after a few days,i have 4 turbo cars and they all use them. So far it seems fine but it will look like crap after a while if thats a concern but other wise. When you cut the wrap i would advise to burn the end of it so it doesn't keep coming apart.

Old September 20th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #209

Over the weekend, I got a few things done. First, I plumbed both of the wastegate dumps.

These had to go down, around the cold side, and then into the driver side wheel well! I still need to paint and wrap them, but that will be during final assembly as everything still has to come apart one more time to fix a few issues.

Driver's side:

Passenger's side:

Dump Location in the wheel well, because racecar:

Also got most of the stainless steel hardpiping done on the wastegates. These termine with a flare and tube nut, and will have a -4 AN hose line ran to the boost solenoid under the intake to allow for some more flexibility and ease of installation.

Lastly, I started working on the exhaust placement for the side pipe. There will only be one pipe, out the driver's side rocker panel.

The pipe sticking out is me just mocking it up with a 4", I'm still waiting on a 4.5" pipe to use for the tip, and I still need to make the trim panel to go around the exhaust. It will be cut flush, or maybe a 1/4" to 1/2" out to keep the exhaust from blasting all over the rocker.

Old September 20th, 2016, 12:22 PM   #210

viper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 points
Looks really good Zach. I can't wait to see the final result once all i said and done. I also had the DEI Titanium wrap crumble up and fall apart on me from the down pipe wrap that RSI installed on the piping. Its amazing how much extra heat is involved once you turbo the car especially down in the footwells. However, with a smaller twin turbo setup the exhaust restriction is probably much higher raising overall heat way more than the huge single turbo exhaust housing would be so maybe your heat issues won't be as bad. worst case scenario, the wrap falls apart and you can remove everything and have inconnel shields made for everything or you can use the following coating for everything.

White Lightning Exhaust Coatings | Swain Tech Coatings | Industrial Coatings | High Performance Racing Coatings

Old September 20th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #211
Enthusiast

PaulP is definately JV with 259 pointsPaulP is definately JV with 259 pointsPaulP is definately JV with 259 points
Nice work on the vacuum hard lines , On my list for the winter but I just want to wrench less this winter lol

Old September 20th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_mike View Post
Looks really good Zach. I can't wait to see the final result once all i said and done. I also had the DEI Titanium wrap crumble up and fall apart on me from the down pipe wrap that RSI installed on the piping. Its amazing how much extra heat is involved once you turbo the car especially down in the footwells. However, with a smaller twin turbo setup the exhaust restriction is probably much higher raising overall heat way more than the huge single turbo exhaust housing would be so maybe your heat issues won't be as bad. worst case scenario, the wrap falls apart and you can remove everything and have inconnel shields made for everything or you can use the following coating for everything.

White Lightning Exhaust Coatings | Swain Tech Coatings | Industrial Coatings | High Performance Racing Coatings
Thanks Mike! I designed everything to be easily removable, so if I have to redo it at some point, no big deal. I really contemplated doing the Swaintech, but it's very cost prohibitive. I could have bought the materials 4x to do this turbo setup for what it would cost to coat my setup!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
Nice work on the vacuum hard lines , On my list for the winter but I just want to wrench less this winter lol
Thanks Paul! I almost had to do it just to keep things from dangling and getting caught up in the accessory belt, but I figured it would look nicer in the long run.

Old September 20th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #213

viper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 pointsviper_mike is not afraid of bears with 2774 points
Quote:
Thanks Mike! I designed everything to be easily removable, so if I have to redo it at some point, no big deal. I really contemplated doing the Swaintech, but it's very cost prohibitive. I could have bought the materials 4x to do this turbo setup for what it would cost to coat my setup!!
Oh I completely understand Zach. I would of loved to do it on my build as well but mine was a cost and time prohibitive. I think you'll find most of your supposed "issues" will either be no issue at all or very minor and would be considered by most reasonable folks to fall into the category of general maintenance and upkeep. Can't ever expect things on a race car to work perfectly the first time and never have to be improved upon or tweaked in some way.

Old September 28th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #214

Been finishing up a lot of odds and ends.

I had to take literally everything back out to fix a couple issues.

1) First one was the fan mounting. Since I ditched the shroud, I needed to get the fans mounted to the core directly. The only way to get access was to remove the turbo setup.

Backside of the fan mounts. I removed the condenser for access because I didn't want to pull the radiator again.

2) The first exhaust section I ended with a v-band ended in a bad spot to continue it out the side. There was no way I was making another 90 degree turn with it so low. I even made a pie cut section and it still wouldn't fit. Sooo..... I had to remove the exhaust pipe, unwrap it, and cut out a section.

New exhaust angle. It used to point straight down.

Here's the section I removed.

Now before re-installing I took care of some other details. For one, I replaced all the o-rings on the A/C system. Condenser and at the compressor.

I also took the chance to add some heat shielding to the compressor lines since the exhaust is right above them.

Lastly, I have been fidgeting with all the details of hard lines and vacuum lines. Most of my setup I used a hard line near the turbo, to guide it in tight areas, then am using a union fitting to convert to a standard braided rubber line. This gives the line some flexibility for engine movement and vibration.

For example, here's my -4 turbo feed.

I thought this was cool. Taking everything apart gave me a good chance to test the serviceability of this setup. It works great! It is extremely quick to remove the entire turbo setup from the front for any maintenance or repairs. This whole section comes out with hardlines/wastegates/etc. The union joints allow me to disconnect before it passes under the intake to the boost solenoid.

I just welded the final bungs onto the charge pipes for IAT sensors and boost references. Now that it is complete I can drop the tubes off to the powdercoater and then it will be final assembly, and start filling with fluids for a first start!

In the meantime, I will be finishing the exhaust and trim panel for the side exhaust.

Old September 28th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #215
Enthusiast

99turbo is definately JV with 250 points99turbo is definately JV with 250 points99turbo is definately JV with 250 points
Nice Fab work!!!

Old October 13th, 2016, 10:30 AM   #216

Finished up the exhaust over last weekend.

I started to make a black trim panel for around the exhaust and got scared it won't look good. For now going to leave it raw and if the paint gets black too quickly I can always add something.

Fabbing up the exhaust... lots of pie cuts to get things to clear and jog through. there.

Welded on a 4" to 4.5" cone to make the exhaust tip bigger.... because RACECAR.

For the hanger, I just bought an aluminum rod, then bent it in the vice.

Nailed the fitment on center

Final product:

Old October 16th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #217

JGK95 is not afraid of bears with 61594 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 61594 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 61594 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 61594 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 61594 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 61594 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 61594 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 61594 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 61594 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 61594 pointsJGK95 is not afraid of bears with 61594 points
Looking terrific!

Old October 16th, 2016, 12:45 PM   #218
n00b

Ferrariformula1 is unremarkable with 10 points
nice

Old November 1st, 2016, 09:26 AM   #219

I'm close to finishing this thing up and attempting a start, but I go on vacation at the end of the week so it may not be for a few weeks. No real rush at this point considering it's November in Illinois and driving season is all but over.

I'm working on final assembly and wiring. Here are some pics of what I've done to this point.

Here's the underside of the intake. I tapped one of the holes to hold a bracket to mount the MAC boost valve.

Next, I changed out my plugs and put on my new RSI heat protected plug wires. They look great and they sent me a free t-shirt with them so kudos to RSI on that!

Next, I finished re-assembling my CCW wheels after powder-coat/paint. This was my first time taking apart 3 piece wheels. I hope to never take these apart again What a pain!

Got them mounted on the lift, but haven't put it on the ground yet. I love the look though for drag strip and some street dig action.

These are the 17" CCW's so they clear my gen 2 front calipers and 13" rotors.

Next, I finally un-installed my rear exit exhaust. Hopefully will give me some weight savings back from what I gained with the turbo and piping.

Lastly, I finally got my powdercoated parts back. I had the top radiator pipe, and two pieces of the charge pipe done in the same wrinkle black as my valve covers and intake manifold.

Upper radiator pipe I made after powdercoat and with new couplers and hose clamps.

I also painted my two wastegate dumps in VHT black header paint to prepare for wrap.

Then wrapped them in the 1" DEI wrap.

Here's the front turbo setup with final assembly to this point. This is the definition of 10 lbs in a 5 lb bag, but I am very proud of the cleanliness and artistry I was able to maintain with the setup.

Lastly, I got my turbo-guard in. Not ideal as I would like to suck in filtered cold air if possible, but for the time being, it's not, so don't ask

Last edited by ZZ SRT; November 1st, 2016 at 09:43 AM.

Old November 1st, 2016, 09:52 AM   #220
Landscaping Professional

GTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 60375 points
Quote:
Lastly, I got my turbo-guard in. Not ideal as I would like to suck in filtered cold air if possible, but for the time being, it's not, so don't ask

Block off your NACA duct. Install a large area panel filter ahead of the core support with a bottom opening air inlet. Top of the housing should have a 4" oval outlet facing the right headlight and making a U-snorkel over the core support and toward the compressor inlet. You may need to run a 90* bonnet inlet if space is too tight for a large radius bend.

And - speaking from recent experience - I would strongly recommend confirming that you have proper valve operation before buttoning everything up and deciding it's time to start the car.

Last edited by GTS Dean; November 1st, 2016 at 10:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in