Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   Viper Discussions - Gen I & II (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cam Position Sensor???? Plz help! (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217393)

GTS Dean June 11th, 2015 04:02 PM

If it was MY car and they told me that, I'd start by talking to an experienced Viper service tech at a CDJ dealer. They've seen everything in the lineup and could probably recommend a few that are reasonably similar.

You have to make some kind of adapter, but at least you'd have some hope starting with the right 0-5V harness plug and material of construction. A Dremel grinder, a couple of tubes of JB Weld, a bar of 3003 aluminum, a lathe and some o-rings ought to be enough to get you back in business in a couple of days.

BlackSnake99 June 11th, 2015 04:11 PM

Not to derail the thread but...... GODDAMN that balancer fucked the front of that motor up. I bet that made a hell of a noise when that went off.

mbccenter June 11th, 2015 04:36 PM

I need one for a gen 2 and gen 1

Final GTS June 11th, 2015 06:02 PM

Gee whiz... I called this one Dave, huh? LOL

I guess maybe its time to make a replacement :)

99RT10&GTS June 11th, 2015 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbccenter (Post 3428393)
I need one for a gen 2 and gen 1

Gen I is still available.

Chuck 98 RT10 June 11th, 2015 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTS Dean (Post 3428329)
If it was MY car and they told me that, I'd start by talking to an experienced Viper service tech at a CDJ dealer. They've seen everything in the lineup and could probably recommend a few that are reasonably similar.

You have to make some kind of adapter, but at least you'd have some hope starting with the right 0-5V harness plug and material of construction. A Dremel grinder, a couple of tubes of JB Weld, a bar of 3003 aluminum, a lathe and some o-rings ought to be enough to get you back in business in a couple of days.

Is that really possible? I have a lathe.

Final GTS June 11th, 2015 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT10 (Post 3428585)
Is that really possible? I have a lathe.

Yes, its possible. Easier said then done, but possible. It is technically just a Hall Effect sensor. We make "oddball sensors" work all the time in conversion packages. I wouldn't however go so far as to say that another Mopar sensor could be adapted... I cant think of one that is even remotely similar.

The question is volume, and sensor cost. Good hall effect sensors can easily reach into the $100-200 range, plus the "adapter" costs. For me to make a 1-off with a high-quality sensor, it would be in the 300-500$ range. At higher volumes, I could probably get it into the $200 ballpark. That said, I haven't put a lot of time into finding a compatible sensor at a reasonable cost, that's just one of the high-speed sensors we use all the time. It might come out cheaper in the end.

mbccenter June 11th, 2015 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99RT10>S (Post 3428553)
Gen I is still available.

Where? When I checked with Dodge there were 100 on back order.

jslimm June 11th, 2015 08:31 PM

OP. The question is, if you don't have a working camshaft position sensor; how, much is it worth to you to buy a custom one?

99RT10&GTS June 11th, 2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jslimm (Post 3428769)
OP. The question is, if you don't have a working camshaft position sensor; how, much is it worth to you to buy a custom one?

Good question. If he needs mine, it is for sale............... :D

bwstlee June 11th, 2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackSnake99 (Post 3428353)
Not to derail the thread but...... GODDAMN that balancer fucked the front of that motor up. I bet that made a hell of a noise when that went off.

To my surprise, it really didn't make any big noise. I all happened so fast, 1 second we're doing a pull, next second we saw smoke and immediately killed the car. Doesn't seem like any shards got through the pickup filter so I think I got very lucky. Lesson learned lol


Update - Might have gotten lucky here! A friend from Canada actually had a spare so he's shipping that to me :) Might take a couple weeks but hey, at least I'll have a running Viper! :D

jslimm June 11th, 2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwstlee (Post 3428817)
Update - Might have gotten lucky here! A friend from Canada actually had a spare so he's shipping that to me :) Might take a couple weeks but hey, at least I'll have a running Viper! :D

Good to have friends who can come to your aid !

dave6666 June 11th, 2015 10:04 PM

Canada is where all the cam sensors are :D

GTS Dean June 11th, 2015 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jslimm (Post 3428769)
OP. The question is, if you don't have a working camshaft position sensor; how, much is it worth to you to buy a custom one?

Ultimately, this is what it all boils down to.

dave6666 June 12th, 2015 08:57 PM

Dodge Viper Cam Shaft Sensor 1997 2006 8 0L 8 3L Engines | eBay

mad prof June 13th, 2015 01:59 PM

Rock Auto lists available cam position sensor for Gen 2 Vipers.

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part #*PC142****{#05245084, 5245084, X98821GT}

Worth checking, but I have a feeling that it isn't the right part

dave6666 June 13th, 2015 02:08 PM

Try to place the order.

mad prof June 13th, 2015 02:32 PM

Not possible for UK orders. I also tried shipping to Canada, it won't let me do it. You are right!

Steve911 June 13th, 2015 02:41 PM

Discontinued W/O replacement....

bwstlee June 13th, 2015 06:43 PM

I still can't believe Chrysler would stop making this or whoever. Sounds like there's money to be made for somebody!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2 ©2009, Crawlability, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
ViperAlley.com is in no way affiliated with Daimler Chrysler. Dodge, Viper, RT/10, the Viper logo and likeness are registered trademarks of Daimler Chrysler.
The contents of this site are owned by ViperAlley.Com and may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of the Administrator.