Radio / CD static at low RPMs - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Radio / CD static at low RPMs

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old March 1st, 2004, 11:07 AM   #1

slaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 points

I'm getting radio / CD static at low RPMs in my car. I have stock Mopar spark plug wires with ~17k miles on them, and Champion spark plugs (Part # RC12LYC) with ~7k miles on them - thoughts? fixes?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Radio / CD static at low RPMs
Old March 1st, 2004, 11:42 AM   #2

Brad Bodily is unremarkable with 10 points

The noise could also be from the alternator, or the amp might be picking up the noise, not just the deck. It's difficult to tell what the issue is. You can buy noise filters or gound isolators that go inline on the power wire to your radio. You would have to pull the deck and cut the power wire and put the filter inline. It is not difficult and I believe the stock radio has a sticker identifying the appropriate wires.

Old March 1st, 2004, 12:44 PM   #3

slaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 pointsslaughterj is not afraid of bears with 21303 points

Hmm, I'm thinking about getting a new deck sometime soon, maybe I should wait to worry with it at that point... What do you mean with the alternator? Like it could be going bad? What other signs would there be of that? (I've got 57k on my 98 RT/10.)

Old March 1st, 2004, 01:20 PM   #4

Super Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 pointsSuper Squirrel made Varsity with 950 points

I had to get noise filters...works well, every once in a while (maybe once or twice since filters were placed) I get noise but nowhere like before.

Old March 1st, 2004, 01:24 PM   #5
Diamond Supporter

_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points
Send a message via AIM to _Mark_ Send a message via Yahoo to _Mark_

Might be just the plug wires. I have Magnecors and have no static.

Old March 1st, 2004, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark
Might be just the plug wires. I have Magnecors and have no static.
Interesting, KenH from the VCA site hasn't had any problem with the Magnecors either.

Here's some info from a thread I started over there a while back:

So, is the following correct and a comprehensive list of spark plug wire options?:
1. Stock Black Mopar Wires - $60, seem to work fine
2. Some sort of Blue Mopar Wires - $100, may (and did for me) cause static through the radio and CD player (insufficient resistance?)
3. Red Magnecor Wires - cost? size options? relevance of size options?
4. MSD - $75 from Summit Racing, size options? - some have experienced static

Old March 1st, 2004, 02:49 PM   #7
Diamond Supporter

_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points_Mark_ is not afraid of bears with 2698 points

The blue mopars are the gts-r wires right? I also understand they're longer than they need to be so I didn't go with them (they're also the priciest).

The Magnecors I have I got from JonB and are 8.5mm IIRC. I ditched the stock plug shields and put on those ceramic socks too. Makes changing plugs a bit easier, not that it was really hard tho. I think they were around $85 but I can't exactly remember so don't quote me.

Old March 1st, 2004, 04:07 PM   #8

Anybody got a good price for 10mm Magnecors?

Any good reason to use 8.5mm vs. 10mm, or vice versa?

What are those ceramic socks you speak of - do you mean easier to pull off than the rubber things that pop onto the spark plug ends?

Old March 1st, 2004, 05:16 PM   #9
Diamond Supporter

No, you know those gold colored cyllinders that you slide the plugs down into to start them threading? They're insulators that protect the wire boot from heat and they just pull out of the hole they're in (they're just pressed in). I got rid of them and went with ceramic socks that cover the plug and wire boot. With the magnecors, I think you have to do this because I'm not sure their larger rubber boots fit in the stock metal plug insulators.

You could try out those new wires that JohnH mentioned here a few weeks back. They come in nifty colors and have built-in insulators IIRC.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:43 AM   #10

Thanks for the info, think I'll go with 10mm Magnecors the next go around, maybe the CN series to be sure to minimize any RFI, and see if I still have any problems then.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:48 PM   #11

GaryA is The Man with 1880 pointsGaryA is The Man with 1880 pointsGaryA is The Man with 1880 pointsGaryA is The Man with 1880 pointsGaryA is The Man with 1880 pointsGaryA is The Man with 1880 pointsGaryA is The Man with 1880 pointsGaryA is The Man with 1880 pointsGaryA is The Man with 1880 pointsGaryA is The Man with 1880 pointsGaryA is The Man with 1880 points

I have the 10mm Magnecor wires and get static in my speakers. I solved the problem with filters that plug in between the aftermarket amplifier and the speakers (as opposed to the power line). You might have to try a couple of different methods to get rid of the static.

A good car audio shop should be able to help you get rid of the noise.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:16 PM   #12

Thanks for all the info, sounds like I need filters first, then worry about plug wires...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in