alternator problems irregular chargin voltage. AEM? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

alternator problems irregular chargin voltage. AEM?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old May 25th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Enthusiast

darkostoj is a B-Teamer with 149 pointsdarkostoj is a B-Teamer with 149 points

I've been fighting a battle with my car not charging properly. Its a TT 99 viper GTS with an AEM. I put a new battery in it, and had a spare alternator that I put in as well but it made no difference.

The volt gauge would usually stay around 14volts but then it started to sometimes fluctuate up to ~16volts and back down to 12 volts. Now it will not charge at all.

I don't think its a complicated charging system, so does anyone think they might know what the problem could be?

Could there be something wrong with the AEM not regulating voltage properly?
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Camel Farmer

BAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 points
Send a message via AIM to BAD68GTO Send a message via Skype™ to BAD68GTO
Before you kill yourself, look very carefully at the cables to the battery. If they were ever corroded, chances are it will suck inside the insulation. Then make sure the grounds under the stock PCM position to that post are okay, the main positive post above that, go basic before you reinvent the wheel. There is nothing special about the Viper and zero known issues like this out there. Also, like me troubleshooting IT stuff, what happened/changed right before this happened on your car?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 25th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #3

MTGTS is not afraid of bears with 14024 pointsMTGTS is not afraid of bears with 14024 pointsMTGTS is not afraid of bears with 14024 pointsMTGTS is not afraid of bears with 14024 pointsMTGTS is not afraid of bears with 14024 pointsMTGTS is not afraid of bears with 14024 pointsMTGTS is not afraid of bears with 14024 pointsMTGTS is not afraid of bears with 14024 pointsMTGTS is not afraid of bears with 14024 pointsMTGTS is not afraid of bears with 14024 pointsMTGTS is not afraid of bears with 14024 points
Send a message via AIM to MTGTS
Voltage regulator inside the AEM can go bad. Mine was bad when I got it which I knew. Sent it to AEM and they fixed it and did the updates for under $100.

Old May 26th, 2014, 09:09 AM   #4

CottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTGTS View Post
Voltage regulator inside the AEM can go bad. Mine was bad when I got it which I knew. Sent it to AEM and they fixed it and did the updates for under $100.
This. I called them last year about adjusting the the voltage regulator in mine. If your cables, connections, and alternator check out then the problem is in the AEM's volt reg.

Old May 26th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #5

primedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 points
Send a message via AIM to primedtsi
Are you running a triple fuel pump setup?

Old May 26th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #6
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by primedtsi View Post
Are you running a triple fuel pump setup?
Yes I am. Only one pump is continuous and the other 2 come on with boost.

Old May 26th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #7

CWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 points
I would convert to an external exciter for the alternator after having the ecu fixed. May take a load off of it. The guys at Big 3 Racing have done this and might be willing to dole out the how-to of their setup. Their phone is 330-220-FAST and email is [email protected] if you want to get up with them.

Old May 26th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #8
Enthusiast

TTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 points
I sold a good AEM (upgraded) but the purchaser couldn't get the alt to work properly. He gave up and installed an external voltage regulator. Cheap and easy. Even an old fashioned Mopar electronic voltage reg (available at any parts store) is probably an upgrade.

Old May 27th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #9

primedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 points
Send a message via AIM to primedtsi
The reason I asked on the triple pump setup if all 3 are running continuous you will get a substantial drain on the electrical system. I have mine running like this and after long periods of idling or slow cruising (obviously the cooling fan is a massive draw on this time frame also) the alternator has a hard time keeping up and will drop into the 12v range. I did replace the alternator with a factory Dodge one as I thought mine was taking a crap also. Its actually just the draw and heat taking its toll...

The AEM has a high and low setting for the alternator charging. It uses battery voltage, the battery temperature sensor and of course engine RPM to adjust which charge setting it will have the alternator perform. This is adjustable in the output settings but If you wanted to just make it charge on high you can simply just unplug the voltage regulator plug. This will create a constant "on" alternator, similar to the one wire alternators muscle cars use. I do not advise in doing so as it will screw with fuel offset tables and idling parameters.

Old May 27th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #10
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by primedtsi View Post
The reason I asked on the triple pump setup if all 3 are running continuous you will get a substantial drain on the electrical system. I have mine running like this and after long periods of idling or slow cruising (obviously the cooling fan is a massive draw on this time frame also) the alternator has a hard time keeping up and will drop into the 12v range. I did replace the alternator with a factory Dodge one as I thought mine was taking a crap also. Its actually just the draw and heat taking its toll...

The AEM has a high and low setting for the alternator charging. It uses battery voltage, the battery temperature sensor and of course engine RPM to adjust which charge setting it will have the alternator perform. This is adjustable in the output settings but If you wanted to just make it charge on high you can simply just unplug the voltage regulator plug. This will create a constant "on" alternator, similar to the one wire alternators muscle cars use. I do not advise in doing so as it will screw with fuel offset tables and idling parameters.
So basically what you're saying is I can unplug the plug on the back of the alternator and if the car charges in "high" mode it means the voltage regulator in the AEM is bad?

Old May 28th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #11

CWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 pointsCWhiteRun is The Man with 2344 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkostoj View Post
So basically what you're saying is I can unplug the plug on the back of the alternator and if the car charges in "high" mode it means the voltage regulator in the AEM is bad?
It definitely would show if the alternator is to blame...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in