Shift Eliminator Kit/Resistor question - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Shift Eliminator Kit/Resistor question

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old January 8th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #1
Camel Farmer

BAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 points
Send a message via AIM to BAD68GTO Send a message via Skype™ to BAD68GTO

Okay, here goes. I have a 2000 GTS with a few little minor mods, and the tranny was grabbing gears a bit around 10,000 miles. I purchased that max care warranty from Bill P (Woodhouse) when I bought the car, so I brought it to Buhler Dodge in NJ (another story all together) for a tranny fix. Well, Buhler Dodge swapped out the tranny with a new tranny, and the Viper tech who is named Joey put in a resistor I bought from Ebay to bypass the ship shift feature (headache) while the car was on the lift. Anyhow, Joey is a great guy and I give him all thumbs up, but I take the car home. To be clear, the new tranny and the new resistor as they were installed at the same time. Joey said my clutch looked excellent since it only had 11,000 miles on it, so I thought all was well.

On the way home I thought it was grabbing a bit again on the gears, like the syncros were still new and it kind of "raked" the gears a bit just a hair like before on some shifts despite the clutch being pressed to the floor. At first I thought it was my imagination, but it wasn't. I took it back to Joey at Buhler and he eventually removed the shift resistor that I bought for $15 off of Ebay and they said my problem is gone. I'm a volume Ebay seller (ID: ILUVMYGTO) and use Ebay for some buying, and I thought this would work for the lame price of $15 including shipping. My question is do these resistors just suck? Should I buy a regular shift eliminator kit? Anyone heard of this? Who killed Jimmy Hoffa? Lastly what is Brittney Spear's home phone number-I seemed to have misplaced it recently. [img]/images/graemlins/jackoff[/img] Thank you all in advance fellow snake owners!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Shift Eliminator Kit/Resister question
Old January 8th, 2004, 04:15 AM   #2

plumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 points

im curious, I just bought one them resistors and havent installed it yet. I cant imagine it being your problem.

Old January 8th, 2004, 05:12 AM   #3
Diamond Supporter

McGuireV10 is a B-Teamer with 110 pointsMcGuireV10 is a B-Teamer with 110 points

If you search around on the subject using Google, you'll find numerous websites with detailed instructions about how to disable skipshift using a five cent resistor from Radio Shack. (It works the same on Camaros and Vettes; that's mostly what you'll see out there.)

Basically all that you do is unplug the skipshift (so the solenoid never gets power from the engine computer), and plug the resistor into that same circuit. The resistor tricks the engine computer into seeing a load on that connection so it won't realize you've disconnected skipshift. Disconnecting skipshift without adding the resistor will throw a check-engine light, but that's it.

It has no other effect on what happens inside the transmission or engine. If that fixed your problem, it had to be a coincidence.

Old January 8th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #4

plumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164634 points

thats what I thought

Old January 8th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #5
Camel Farmer

BAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 pointsBAD68GTO is not afraid of bears with 65545 points

I did use the resistor by "Basically all that you do is unplug the skipshift (so the solenoid never gets power from the engine computer), and plug the resistor into that same circuit. The resistor tricks the engine computer into seeing a load on that connection so it won't realize you've disconnected skipshift. Disconnecting skipshift without adding the resistor will throw a check-engine light, but that's it."

Anyhow, it caused my tranny to grab gears and almost grind. The Viper tech cannot expain it, but anyhow that is what happened to my tranny :-) He unplugged the resistor, and my tranny works great now.

Old January 8th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #6
Diamond Supporter

McGuireV10 is a B-Teamer with 110 pointsMcGuireV10 is a B-Teamer with 110 points

Wonder if maybe there is something screwed up with your skipshift solenoid? Or was the "grabbing gears" with the first one and the effect you felt with the new transmission the same type of feel?

Old January 8th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #7

Cornhead is unremarkable with 10 points

Just get one from Midamerica Designs (Corvette vendor) for $17 and be done with it. It just plugs in like OEM.

Old January 8th, 2004, 06:33 PM   #8
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten

Mister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 points

Jegs can also get you one on the cheap.

No need to pay a Viper tax on these, just as the O2 sims can also be had at Jegs.

www.jegs.com

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Old January 9th, 2004, 05:01 AM   #9
Diamond Supporter

Rev higher.

Old January 9th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #10
Camel Farmer

LOL I liked the rev higher part. The trouble is I am in a heavily populated and tons of stop signs and such, so I am in lower RPM and that thing just makes me [img]/images/graemlins/freak[/img] I just ordered a kit from Woodhouse, so more more resistor for me. I hope this helps someone else from not purchasing a resistor and to spend the extra few bucks and buy the real kit. :thumb:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in