no heat - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

no heat

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

no heat
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1
n00b

blksup is unremarkable with 10 points
no heat

Just picked up a 97 gts. The heat doesnt work just blows cold. The only heat I can get is out of the defrost. Any ideas? Also when I pulled it out of the garage there are two little coolant puddles in front of the front tires. Any ideas about that also. The car has a roe on it if that matters. Thanks.

Last edited by blksup; October 18th, 2013 at 09:02 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Enthusiast

Bugman Jeff is definately JV with 313 pointsBugman Jeff is definately JV with 313 pointsBugman Jeff is definately JV with 313 pointsBugman Jeff is definately JV with 313 points
That's how they work. You will only get heat out of the defrost and floor vents. The dash vents and crotch vents blow cold air only.

On the coolant leak, is it water or actual coolant? If it's just water, have you washed the car recently? They're known to hold water and drip for days afterwards.

Old October 18th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #3
n00b

It is coolant. Good to know on the heat.

Old October 18th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #4

1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points
Pressure test the system, may also be a hole in the overflow bottle behind the fascia.

Old October 18th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #5
n00b

Im going to put it on the lift tomorrow and take a look. I didnt know if this was a common problem.

Old October 19th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #6
Enthusiast

TTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 pointsTTTed made Varsity with 937 points
No heat cause there's no coolant in the heater core? Open the upper heater hose clamp and see if it leaks water or has air.

Coolant puddles would indicate that there is a leak in the overflow bottle that is positioned inside the front fascia. Look in front of the right (passenger side) tire at the slot for indicating the amount of coolant in the bottle. If you remove the rubber plug (fog light acess) you can reach in and feel the overflow bottle. Use a scope or mirror to see the bottle through the fog lamp acess hole.

It is common for one of the long screws holding the bottom of the front fascuia to squish upwards and punch a hole in the bottom of the overflow tank going over curbs, etc. On The VIPER Garage - Index I have recommended that the long screw UNDER the overflow bottle be ground shorter to prevent punching holes in the plastic bottle.

Old October 19th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #7
n00b

Thanks for the help. Il let you know what I find. The driver side leaks more then the passenger so well see.

Old October 19th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #8

Dirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 23268 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 23268 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 23268 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 23268 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 23268 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 23268 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 23268 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 23268 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 23268 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 23268 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 23268 points
Send a message via MSN to Dirtysocks
Radiator.

Old October 19th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #9
n00b

Thats what im thinking it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in