Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

suggestions on cat replace or cat delete on gen II

12K views 63 replies 17 participants last post by  drewskee88 
#1 ·
gen II/2001 stock motor has eaten a second catalytic converter in 46K. Thinking of trying the Magnaflow 99206HM Universal High-Flow to replace the stock units or maybe cat delete. Wondering what you suggest/think would be best. I still want to have it out for the next 2-3 months so a quick/economical fix is my intention with the Magna flows. I do have some serious winter upgrades planned so if there is a way to cat delete till then without requiring some major reprogramming of the ecm/pcm/ecu/tcu...or burning my side sills etc.. what do you all suggest?

Reactions: beer_man
#19 ·
If I do need the tune any suggestions on who to talk to. I am in the Northern Indiana area and do go to Indy and Fort Wayne fairly regularly on business.

#25 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think maybe I will try to take some pics of how I do this and right up a short "how to" so other cat delete newbies can see how its done. (if it goes well!) I am also planning on writing up my install notes and supply pics when I do my Energy Suspension poly upgrade this early fall if anyone is interested.

#27 ·
a tuner provides much more functionality than just being able to turn off those useless O2s, but it sure as hell looks cleaner than ziptieing shit under your viper to just hang out.
not to mention, your car was designed and originally tuned for regular gas, not this E10 gas. yes it does actually make a difference. the shop I work at has had to completely redo 2 different make and models motors that were older but otherwise reliable due to the difference in the fuel causing detonation under load (both were trucks) not to mention the added benefits of removing skip-shift etc.

sometimes it's not always good to be a cheap-ass.

#28 ·
The OP wants a quick and economical fix. Foulers would probably work if the look of zip tied o2 sensors bother you.

The stock tune will be rich as will an SCT canned tune from a tuner. The only real way to dial in a good tune is to take it to a dyno or street tune it with adjustments being made back and forth with the tuner. So you've turned a $200 project into a $600-$800 project.

#30 ·
no, simple solution. datalog, send logs to RSI (or tuner of your choice) they will evaluate and adjust the tune, you datalog again, and send to them again, should be pretty damn close by the 3rd datalog.

I'm not saying he should do it NOW. I'm just saying if the possible check engine light bothers him that much than that is the best solution. cheap, I think so. not as cheap as duck tape and anti-foulers...but the way you should do it.

it's not going to affect his factory tune so rock without it for a while. another cheap, but wrong option would be to pull the check engine light out of the dash. is it the right way to do it, no. but same result of zipties and arrestors. probably easy too.

#29 ·
I have already eliminated the skip shift and I will make sure to do a good job with the zip ties and shrink wrap of the wires/O2 sensors. I don't want them showing or dragging with the SCCA Vette guys hanging around. lol, not being cheap here, I just don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a tune that will no longer apply when I start tearing down at the end of the season. (in just a couple of months) And if this doesn't work then I will fall back and see if it is time to start the rebuild early. I do have some friends at Lingenfelter that is close by and they do Viper engine builds on occasion. They may be able to help with a stock reprogram if needed. Thanks for the advice guys.

#35 ·
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-42002-Spark-Non-Fouler/dp/B0002JMS6I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374683207&sr=8-2&keywords=spark+plug+fouler]Amazon.com: Dorman HELP! 42002 Spark Plug Non-Fouler: Automotive[/ame]

That's just a link I found of a random one, not sure if it would fit. You stack two together and drill them out. It moves the o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream. There is a DIY write up, google it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.