decision time: Twin turbo or supercharger - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

decision time: Twin turbo or supercharger

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old May 28th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #1
Enthusiast

Crnkin is a B-Teamer with 60 points

I have a 99rt10 but I can't make up my mind

On one hand a Paxton will easily bolt on bolt off, and a tt kit
requires cutting a few holes

On the other hand I'd hate to supercharge it then want alto more power
respecting the fact a rebuild is a bit out of price

opinions?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #2

Hyph is not afraid of bears with 9126 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9126 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9126 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9126 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9126 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9126 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9126 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9126 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9126 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9126 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9126 points
Go turbo, you can always turn up the power later if you want. A lot of guys here have started with a supercharger then ultimately made the switch to turbo. Just do it right the first time and not waste money.

Old May 28th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #3

blackmamba is definately JV with 273 pointsblackmamba is definately JV with 273 pointsblackmamba is definately JV with 273 points
Ive done it all! Nitrous, rearmount turbo, Paxton, Nitrous again now TT. Take the time use the research in this section. When its all said and done Just TT it! Does seem like but it will save you time and money.

Old May 28th, 2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Mother Fucker

Eviltwins is not afraid of bears with 5993 pointsEviltwins is not afraid of bears with 5993 pointsEviltwins is not afraid of bears with 5993 pointsEviltwins is not afraid of bears with 5993 pointsEviltwins is not afraid of bears with 5993 pointsEviltwins is not afraid of bears with 5993 pointsEviltwins is not afraid of bears with 5993 pointsEviltwins is not afraid of bears with 5993 pointsEviltwins is not afraid of bears with 5993 pointsEviltwins is not afraid of bears with 5993 pointsEviltwins is not afraid of bears with 5993 points
Go turbo, and don't hack up your car/frame! You can have your cake and eat it too if your budget allows!

Old May 28th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #5

Paolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crnkin View Post
I have a 99rt10 but I can't make up my mind

On one hand a Paxton will easily bolt on bolt off, and a tt kit
requires cutting a few holes

On the other hand I'd hate to supercharge it then want alto more power
respecting the fact a rebuild is a bit out of price

opinions?
Turbo all the way for the simple reason the supercharger will feel fast for a couple of days at best if you're lucky............... Then you will be wanting more! Turbos are noticeably faster for the same peak power numbers and can be turned up whenever you feel the need!

Old May 28th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #6

V10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 points
TT all the way!
Talk to Paolo to hook you up with a nice side mount!

Old May 28th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #7

vital velocity is not afraid of bears with 8828 pointsvital velocity is not afraid of bears with 8828 pointsvital velocity is not afraid of bears with 8828 pointsvital velocity is not afraid of bears with 8828 pointsvital velocity is not afraid of bears with 8828 pointsvital velocity is not afraid of bears with 8828 pointsvital velocity is not afraid of bears with 8828 pointsvital velocity is not afraid of bears with 8828 pointsvital velocity is not afraid of bears with 8828 pointsvital velocity is not afraid of bears with 8828 pointsvital velocity is not afraid of bears with 8828 points
Buy a used supercharger kit, if it's enough for you then you are in a good position....lif you want more sell the kit for a minimum loss or break even

Old May 28th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #8

1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points
I would look at your power goals. TT is the ultimate for power, but some people are actually happy around the 700rwp mark. Why cut up your frame if you'll be happy without having to do it. Are you planing on taking it to the track? mile runs? freeway runs? cruiser?

Old May 28th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #9

scottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 points
im selling my UGR TT system for 9k

twin 78mm precisions... comes with all cold side piping, all hotside, fmic, oil return system..

just pick up a fuel system from WILL and your ready to go!!

this system makes insane power.

Old May 28th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #10

Disturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 20481 points
What are your power goals? What are you going to use the car for? What style of driving do you do MOST of the time?

Old May 28th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #11

jasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 points
Send a message via AIM to jasontiff Send a message via MSN to jasontiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by vital velocity View Post
Buy a used supercharger kit, if it's enough for you then you are in a good position....lif you want more sell the kit for a minimum loss or break even
This. Most used kits go for $5k-6k and you can resell it for that all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyph View Post
Go turbo, you can always turn up the power later if you want. A lot of guys here have started with a supercharger then ultimately made the switch to turbo. Just do it right the first time and not waste money.
...and some go back to supercharged

If you like wrenching on your own car and like to keep things simple, the blower is the way to go. Going with twins was an itch I had to scratch but ultimately I went back to a blower because of the simplicity. Yeah, it's badass to strut around telling everyone you have over 1000hp at the wheels, but chances are you won't drive your car at that and to reach those levels you're going to dump a fuckton of money into your motor and drivetrain to safely run it, and that's money you'll never recoup. A blower will take down almost anything you run into and will remain perfectly streetable. Those that hand your ass to you probably have more than $5k in their build and/or are driving a ticking time bomb. When they lose their motor you can just laugh and keep on cruising.

-Kenny "You're Fuckin' Out" Powers, 2010

Old May 28th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #12

scottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 3141 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontiff View Post
This. Most used kits go for $5k-6k and you can resell it for that all day long.

...and some go back to supercharged

If you like wrenching on your own car and like to keep things simple, the blower is the way to go. Going with twins was an itch I had to scratch but ultimately I went back to a blower because of the simplicity. Yeah, it's badass to strut around telling everyone you have over 1000hp at the wheels, but chances are you won't drive your car at that and to reach those levels you're going to dump a fuckton of money into your motor and drivetrain to safely run it, and that's money you'll never recoup. A blower will take down almost anything you run into and will remain perfectly streetable. Those that hand your ass to you probably have more than $5k in their build and/or are driving a ticking time bomb. When they lose their motor you can just laugh and keep on cruising.
it dont matter if your engine is built or not.. its gonna go.. period..

my buddy had a AMS1200 package on his gtr... 40 g into the engine.. just blew a rod out of the block at 1100 whp...

its all about how you drive a car with powr.. and how much you drive it...

IM NOT SAYING.. that a built motor is pointless, im just saying.. that nothing is bulletproof.

Old May 28th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #13

primedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 pointsprimedtsi hangs with the Hiddens with 604 points
Send a message via AIM to primedtsi
Your not gonna beat the instant power of a supercharger....that's what got me hooked on wanting a viper and had to have it with a paxton. With turbos come lag and of course a stronger top end pull but for cruising the streets and ripping it from down low you cant touch a supercharged viper...The guys hating on the superchargers are ones who kept the kits stock, couldn't work on the cars themselves and just expected a 8 second ride from a bolt on kit. Their are supporting mods BOTH routes have to take and that's what no one realizes until their cars ripped apart and their scratching their heads.

My car made 508ft/lbs of torque at throttle tip in at 1800rpms and 760+ ft lbs from 2400rpms till 4500 where the belt started to slip profusely. That kind of instant torque is ADDICTING! Nothing like it...

Of course with either route your budget is what matters. Can you afford a fuel system to support either setup? Engine management? Do you have the $ to rebuild a motor or a replacement transmission? Theirs a big jump in $ between a 7-800hp viper and a 1000hp+ one

Old May 28th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #14

jasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 points
Send a message via AIM to jasontiff Send a message via MSN to jasontiff
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyitsk View Post
it dont matter if your engine is built or not.. its gonna go.. period..

my buddy had a AMS1200 package on his gtr... 40 g into the engine.. just blew a rod out of the block at 1100 whp...

its all about how you drive a car with powr.. and how much you drive it...

IM NOT SAYING.. that a built motor is pointless, im just saying.. that nothing is bulletproof.
I didn't think of that, and that's true. Some motors are built to be "disposable" and some just have so many variables at that power level that's extremely difficult to anticipate and account for each.

There you go...another blower vote

Old May 28th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #15

Paolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5751 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by primedtsi View Post
Your not gonna beat the instant power of a supercharger....that's what got me hooked on wanting a viper and had to have it with a paxton. With turbos come lag and of course a stronger top end pull but for cruising the streets and ripping it from down low you cant touch a supercharged viper...The guys hating on the superchargers are ones who kept the kits stock, couldn't work on the cars themselves and just expected a 8 second ride from a bolt on kit. Their are supporting mods BOTH routes have to take and that's what no one realizes until their cars ripped apart and their scratching their heads.

My car made 508ft/lbs of torque at throttle tip in at 1800rpms and 760+ ft lbs from 2400rpms till 4500 where the belt started to slip profusely. That kind of instant torque is ADDICTING! Nothing like it...

Of course with either route your budget is what matters. Can you afford a fuel system to support either setup? Engine management? Do you have the $ to rebuild a motor or a replacement transmission? Theirs a big jump in $ between a 7-800hp viper and a 1000hp+ one
It's all about what people want and what they can use.

A turbocharger hot side can be configured to spool as quickly as what your supercharger is doing at the penalty of not being able to hold the torque in the upper RPM range.

It's fine and dandy to have all that torque on tap in theory, but for most people, that is a dangerous combination to have even more torque down low to spin the tires and possibly make the car undriveable or very challenging to drive to say the least. If one wants to be the king of the 40-100 MPH range with a nice drag radial, these power characteristics will be a nasty little setup for the street!

For the power levels described for your blower setup, I would recommend a nice 61mm compressor wheel, smaller turbine wheel, and a smaller t-4 hot side like a .81 AR. This will be snappy and still have a compressor flow that can make over 1100 HP! You won't have to worry about belt slippage either

Old May 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #16

V10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 pointsV10TT is not afraid of bears with 3667 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by primedtsi View Post

My car made 508ft/lbs of torque at throttle tip in at 1800rpms and 760+ ft lbs from 2400rpms till 4500 where the belt started to slip profusely.

Old May 28th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #17
Enthusiast

Alot of good opinions
I'd love to hit the 700 mark but I hear it's hard with a Paxton??
Essentially I want my viper in the 10s

Mainly I will street the car_ qtr mile on the occasion but running against my twin brothers R1
I'm pretty mechanically minded but I've never dealt with turbos before

Old May 28th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #18
Enthusiast

And my budget won't allow for a rebuild as 45,500 in a RED conversion are alot of my funds

Old May 28th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #19

1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 6433 points
Quote:
Alot of good opinions

Mainly I will street the car_ qtr mile on the occasion but running against my twin brothers R1
Sounds like a blower is the better option for you. I would opt for a used Roe system @10lbs for approx 630-670hp/670+ft lbs tq. It's a little more DIY friendly, but are hard to come by.

Old May 28th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #20

CottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badvr4 View Post
I would look at your power goals. TT is the ultimate for power, but some people are actually happy around the 700rwp mark. Why cut up your frame if you'll be happy without having to do it. Are you planing on taking it to the track? mile runs? freeway runs? cruiser?
Spot on.

Quote:
Alot of good opinions
Doable with the Paxton, especially with worked heads and a bigger cam.

Quote:
As others have stated, its tough to beat a supercharger for street duty. Turbos will always be the horsepower kings. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. Determine a realistic power level you'd like to achieve, a realistic dollar amount you'd like to spend, then weigh out the pros and cons of each system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in