Heat shield for cold air intake - Page 2 - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Heat shield for cold air intake

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:39 PM   #21

Viper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 pointsViper J from OK made Varsity with 962 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNG SNKE View Post
As small as that intake is 9lb difference was surprising to me. When my buddy was done I thought he was BS'ing me, I had to have it measure to verify because I didn't believe him. Either way, like header shields its blocking the heat from the intake tubes creating a buffer zone between the metal box and intake filter, at least that is what it appears to me. I am basing my opinion off of those folks who have put a bent piece of metal between their headers and brake lines to prevent the fluid from boiling due to an air gap. (I don't sell the aluminum ones by the way so please don't message me about them, JMB makes a high quality product in my eyes so please order from them, Only exception is their yellow is the wrong color for Gen 2)
I know this setup from JMB cost $400. How much do you think it cost to make it yourself. I already have some aluminum smooth tubes, it seems all i would need would be some cone filters.

What's the center hole used for on the box?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:47 PM   #22

dave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 34347 points
I do have the extended version for the cold air intake feature. I do see however in that camera angle how you can't see that.

I have awesome header heat shields that I fabbed from mirror polished stainless steel. Not worried about exhaust heat.

I was scoping these products today.

-> Lava Shield Mat by Heat Shield Products

-> Reflect A Cool by DEI

Old February 21st, 2013, 10:41 PM   #23
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten

Mister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeguy View Post
Hmm, I have seen sufficient data to prove this stuff works in the correct applications. Whether or not it is "real gold" that produces the best results I do not know but this tape's ability to reflect radiant heat is impressive. Many I have seen use it in unison with exhaust heat wrap in order to keep the heat from the exhaust off of the engine and other components. It all depends on application. I don't have enough posts to post urls but there is at least one video of a direct burn test where the DEI tape lowered the temperature by over 100 degrees. You are probably right about the IAT's not changing much though. Do you still have the data from when you tested it?

Works, yes, but to what extent? A degree or three to me is meaningless.

I measure my IAT's every time I drive. My one gauge is just for that. I don't care much if it heats up even 20* while at a stop light, what matters is recovery time and temps while under motion.

As mentioned, radiant heat is one thing, there is still conductive, which is some cases is worse.

All comes down to, how much $$$ would you like to spend and for what results.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

http://halestormrocks.com/

Old February 21st, 2013, 11:39 PM   #24
Enthusiast

snakeguy is a B-Teamer with 115 pointssnakeguy is a B-Teamer with 115 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bone View Post
All comes down to, how much $$$ would you like to spend and for what results.
This is what everything comes down to when you really think about it. Thanks for the response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in